• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Oscar Pistorius shoots girlfriend - Part 2

Bid to challenge six-year jail term fails

"South African state prosecutors have failed in their bid to challenge the six-year sentence for murder handed down to Oscar Pistorius.

Prosecutors described the Paralympic athlete's punishment for killing his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp in 2013 as "shockingly lenient".

At the hearing in Pretoria, Judge Thokozile Masipa said the petition had no reasonable prospect of success."
 
How the hell the appeal was made to the same judge, who is hardly likely to admit she screwed up, is truly bizarre.

It is pretty exemplary evidence of the cluster **** South Africa is, though.
 
How the hell the appeal was made to the same judge, who is hardly likely to admit she screwed up, is truly bizarre.

It is pretty exemplary evidence of the cluster **** South Africa is, though.

That happens in the US a lot as well - Great Britain appears to be different however.
 
How the hell the appeal was made to the same judge, who is hardly likely to admit she screwed up, is truly bizarre.

It is pretty exemplary evidence of the cluster **** South Africa is, though.
Does seem slightly stupid

"We want you to critique yourself"
 
It's not over yet. The state can petition the Supreme Court directly. And I have no doubt it will. This star-struck excuse for a judge will be over-ruled again.
 
That happens in the US a lot as well - Great Britain appears to be different however.
Probably all court systems based on the British style of jurisdiction have superior courts, and appeals are made to those courts. Here in Manitoba we have provincial courts, the Court of Queen's Bench, and the Manitoba Court of Appeal. (I'm not sure if a verdict reached in Provincial Court can be appealed to the Court of Queen's Bench, or if it goes straight to the Court of Appeal.)

If someone wants to appeal a decision by the Court of Appeal, they apply to the Supreme Court of Canada. That court decided to hear an appeal or decline to do so, with or without giving a reason.

See also the Court system of Canada at Wikipedia.
 
We now have a supreme court.

It used to be that it went to the privy council in London

Part of me thinks this is a bad thing because we are so small everyone inevitably knows each other which makes it slightly improbable to call it impartial like the privy.

Just my personal view though
 
We now have a supreme court.

It used to be that it went to the privy council in London

Part of me thinks this is a bad thing because we are so small everyone inevitably knows each other which makes it slightly improbable to call it impartial like the privy.

Just my personal view though
Spot on of course. Incestous sewer in NZ, only the uncommonality of cases like Lundy, MacDonald, Bain and so on allow the police state to persevere.
I have no idea why you all rail at Masipa. She has brains to burn, and got the case exactly right.
 
Spot on of course. Incestous sewer in NZ, only the uncommonality of cases like Lundy, MacDonald, Bain and so on allow the police state to persevere.
I have no idea why you all rail at Masipa. She has brains to burn, and got the case exactly right.

Not over yet. Star struck Mapisa will be proven wrong. Along with all the OP fanboys.
 
Spot on of course. Incestous sewer in NZ, only the uncommonality of cases like Lundy, MacDonald, Bain and so on allow the police state to persevere.
I have no idea why you all rail at Masipa. She has brains to burn, and got the case exactly right.
Wouldn't go that far but get your point.

Oscars sentence was a joke though.
 
Fair call

But in appeal it should be a different set of eyes
If I'm innocent, give me a judge only trial. Look at the crap the jury believed with Lundy, when the solution was obvious. The trial judge's own wife wanted to ditch the mainstay of the police case, presumably France would have thrown the whole case out, but the jury were fools, and back in the dungeon.
Shrien Dewani was innocent and judge only stopped the proceedings when she saw the travesty unfolding. I like these female SA judges.

Appeal eyes are for sanctifying juries, be very afraid of appeal courts.
 
If I'm innocent, give me a judge only trial. Look at the crap the jury believed with Lundy, when the solution was obvious. The trial judge's own wife wanted to ditch the mainstay of the police case, presumably France would have thrown the whole case out, but the jury were fools, and back in the dungeon.
Shrien Dewani was innocent and judge only stopped the proceedings when she saw the travesty unfolding. I like these female SA judges.

Appeal eyes are for sanctifying juries, be very afraid of appeal courts.
Don't disagree.

Just don't have the same judge.
 
Well LK, we are always encouraged to believe those who were in court and heard it all.
Like Masipa did.

Like Amanda Knox in the first trial? Like Steven Avery?

Your belief is irrational and, like Mapisa, star struck.

Let's see who is right at the end. Which is not now.
 
Like Amanda Knox in the first trial? Like Steven Avery?

Your belief is irrational and, like Mapisa, star struck.

Let's see who is right at the end. Which is not now.
I hold the minority view. I may even be wrong, but I reckon the trigger happy lunatic made a tragic mistake. I can't prove it, but I believe proof exists in the transcripts of exactly what he said immediately after, and that the story will yield to logical analysis. If there was an immoveable datapoint precluding an accident, we would have it by now.
Think of all the dead Americans of all ages from gun accidents.
 
Last edited:
I hold the minority view. I may even be wrong, but I reckon the trigger happy lunatic made a tragic mistake. I can't prove it, but I believe proof exists in the transcripts of exactly what he said immediately after, and that the story will yield to logical analysis. If there was an immoveable datapoint precluding an accident, we would have it by now.
Think of all the dead Americans of all ages from gun accidents.

Even this flawed process concluded it was no accident. Your star struck opinion is amusing, but wrong.
 
I hold the minority view. I may even be wrong, but I reckon the trigger happy lunatic made a tragic mistake.......

So do I. But I also accept that the "tragic mistake" made him guilty of murder, and that he should be imprisoned for 10 to 15 years. That's the difference between us.
 
It's not over yet. The state can petition the Supreme Court directly. And I have no doubt it will. This star-struck excuse for a judge will be over-ruled again.

I only hope you're right.
 
So do I. But I also accept that the "tragic mistake" made him guilty of murder, and that he should be imprisoned for 10 to 15 years. That's the difference between us.

The trouble is that both texts from Reva and interviews of his previous girlfrieds so something different.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom