punshhh
Philosopher
- Joined
- Jul 11, 2010
- Messages
- 5,295
And that is why it, the scientific model is so effective at doing things, it is about behaviors, not about meaning.
Yes, not about philosophy.
And that is why it, the scientific model is so effective at doing things, it is about behaviors, not about meaning.
Do you think something exists?If you tell me what those questions mean, I will answer them.
Your problem, I have no problem as I know where science ends and philosophy begins.I think you've identified your problem.
Sounds like you'd enjoy (if you're not already familiar with them) Alexander and Anne Shulgin's books, 'PiHKAL' and 'TiHKAL' (Phenethylamines/Tryptamines i Have Known And Loved). They each come in two parts, part one being lively descriptions of numerous experimental ingestions of various psychedelics; part two being a description of the chemistry and synthesis of these compounds. Part two of each is freely available online. You might find the part one's online, but they're available to purchase from Amazon, etc.You know what is so weird about tryptamines is that it is a cyclohexane and cyclopentane ring of carbon atoms with various other substituents on each ring in a few key places. Why does that particular chemical structure seem to have such an astounding affect on consciousness?
Things happen.Do you think something exists?
Nope.Your problem
Perhaps, but in that case you don't know where science begins and philosophy ends.I have no problem as I know where science ends and philosophy begins.
Well, I don't know about hallucinating but I can make a computer perceive something that's not real and react as though it is. It would be trivially easy, in fact.
That would indeed be trivially easy.
It would also have nothing to do with consciousness.
Your problem, I have no problem as I know where science ends and philosophy begins.
Are you asking me to peer inside their minds ? If you think they are wrong, then please post some relevant evidence. You might be frustrated by repeated posting of said evidence, but not everyone may have seen the other threads.
Come on, Piggy. I'm really interested in this.
all consciousness, waking or dreaming, is hallucination
www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/hallucinationDefinition of HALLUCINATION
1 perception of objects with no reality usually arising from disorder of the nervous system or in response to drugs (as LSD)
We can't answer that, because all of your premises are false.No, I'm not asking you to mind-read, just wondering if you have any cogent explanation for the unwillingness of the comp.lits to actually discuss contemporary brain science, which is the only area of inquiry directly addressing consciousness, in favor of irrelevant discussions of AI, fictional conscious machines, p-zombies, rope-brain consciousness, false claims about Church-Turing, and so forth, if they are not simply uninformed and mistaken?
Answer: Absolutely nothing!Somebody explain to me what an "EM Column" does to help explain qualia, as suggested in this video (sounds like EM woo to me):
No, I'm not asking you to mind-read, just wondering if you have any cogent explanation for the unwillingness of the comp.lits to actually discuss contemporary brain science, which is the only area of inquiry directly addressing consciousness, in favor of irrelevant discussions of AI, fictional conscious machines, p-zombies, rope-brain consciousness, false claims about Church-Turing, and so forth, if they are not simply uninformed and mistaken?
The fact is, they cannot discuss the current research because it contradicts their claims, so instead they descend on every thread about consciousness that pops up and they clog it up with false or irrelevant arguments.
I started a thread with the narrowly-defined topic of the contribution of biological studies on the brain to our understanding of consciousness (which I have sadly neglected for quite some time in favor of other studies I'm interested in, but hope to return to before too long) and they were incensed that I insisted that they stay on topic and not launch into discussions of hypothetical machine consciousness, or mere assertions that "the brain is a computer" without evidence derived from actual brain studies.
When they were forced to discuss brain science or move on, they chose to move on.
Funny, that.
I've been away a while, and need a while to catch up, but I wanted to make some comments before they slipped by.
Computers hallucinate. The ones at Pixar do it daily, but I call Humpty Dumpty fallacy:
www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/hallucination
Thanks very much for the detailed exposition of your position in a later posting. I'll be studying it carefully and respond later.
Carry on.
Be nice! We're all in this together.
Piggy, why should I believe you if you are unwilling to accede to this simple request ? We require the same thing of any other poster who makes a claim. It was my understanding that Pixy's general claim, while a bit flamboyant and pithy for my taste, was pretty much on the money. Now, if that's not the case, I'd like to see some evidence.