• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Nightline Debate: Does Satan Exist?

Elizabeth if you knew God you would know he doesn't lie because lieing is a sin and he can't sin.
It is funny that you can't even see the fault with that thinking.

KK, do you know how your radio works, or your TV, car, phone, computer, etc, etc. No, you haven't a clue, but damn, the so-called most complicated thing in the universe, and boy you know everything about it.


In two words non-kurious_kathy, BS.

Paul

:) :) :)
 
You guys have seen much of the evidence already and all you do is deny it. Why do we even try to reach you when you choose to be blind to all the evidence that is available?
Because the evidence you provide is as good as the evidence Muslims, Hindus, Scientologists... All provide. Why should I believe you over them?

Don't answer. The short of it is that your evidence is poor.

Have you even checked out the articles I have linked to on alwaysbeready.com's website? http://www.alwaysbeready.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=51&Itemid=71
Many men have already spent time and energy making these documents available for you to read so I will challenge you to go read.
And you were challenged to read Ehrman, but you failed to do so. That called Hypocritical.

Also What about Josh McDowells book, "Evidence Thant Demands A Verdict?" If you haven't read this yet I think you need to if you are truly open to the proof!
I've read it up to the point where it attempted to claim that the bible was unchanged for 2000 years Even when I was christian, I knew that for the lie it was.

Even spend my own money mailing you this book if you'll read it? And that goes for anyone on this board who is open to read the historical eveidence on Jesus. If you are interested just PM me your mailing info I I would be happy to send this to you.
A book of lies is still a book of lies. Why do you support such nonsense?
 
Isaiah 45:7
"I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things."

there's a problem here. I wonder where it is. ;)
The evil is in the etales
 
You guys have seen much of the evidence already and all you do is deny it. Why do we even try to reach you when you choose to be blind to all the evidence that is available?

Have you even checked out the articles I have linked to on alwaysbeready.com's website? http://www.alwaysbeready.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=51&Itemid=71
Many men have already spent time and energy making these documents available for you to read so I will challenge you to go read.

Also What about Josh McDowells book, "Evidence Thant Demands A Verdict?" If you haven't read this yet I think you need to if you are truly open to the proof! I will even spend my own money mailing you this book if you'll read it? And that goes for anyone on this board who is open to read the historical eveidence on Jesus. If you are interested just PM me your mailing info I I would be happy to send this to you.

OK Kathy, I'm taking you on. I've done graduate work in archeology, so I know how to evaluate archeological evidence. I doubt you've even read the material linked to from the website. You just seem to parrot the home page of that website where Charlie Campbell (who's trying to sell books and DVDs) says:

“What evidence do you have that the Bible is actually true?”

If I had to narrow it down to a few evidences, I would probably say: fulfilled prophecies, archaeological discoveries, and the Bible’s amazing unity.

Yet he, himself provides no archeological evidence. Curious eh? He has links to other sites but they also provide no evidence from qualified archeologists. Just supposition and questionable conclusions. For example, there is a website from John McRay (who I can find no references to his credentials except he's a Christian apologist). His "archeological evidence" consists of a list of cities and features that were well known at that time. Just because a feature exists doesn't mean the Bible is true. I could find a writing that said aliens landed in New York, Chicago, and Los Angeles -- just because these cities existed doesn't mean that aliens actually landed there; any more than the existence of London means that the events in Harry Potter are true. If you can't understand this -- you know squat about archeological evidence.

Yes, lots of the cities mentioned in the Bible existed, that doesn't mean the the events cited or the miracles mentioned actually happened. All it means is that the people of the times knew these were real locations and chose to stage Bible events in these locations.

For example he mentions:

Romans 13:3 Inscription in Caesarea Maritima

While I was excavating at Caesarea on the coast of Israel in 1972, we uncovered a large mosaic inscription of the Greek text of Romans 13:3. A shorter one had been found in 1960 by an Israeli archaeologist, Abraham Negev. (who I also can not find any mention or academic creditions for.) The two texts, dating to at least the fifth century, are part of a mosaic floor of a large public building (perhaps a praetorium or archives building) and are identical to that passage in the Greek New Testament. These are as old as some of our oldest manuscripts of the New Testament

Yet he gives no academic cites nor does he describe the inscriptions or what similarities they have to Bible passages.

You have no knowledge of archeology or of archeological methods. I sincerely doubt you've even read most of the material on that site. There was next to no archeological evidence provided by the site and what was provided had no academic cites and was seriously lacking in any academical strength. Most of that site was criticism of other Christian sects such as Catholism, Calvinism, Christian Scientists, et al.

There is NO archeological evidence for the validity of the Bible. All there is is archeological evidence that certain places did exist during Biblical times. This is such information that anyone writing in 100 AD would know about and be able to incorporate in their writings.

Kathy, you and the Bible fail on this so called "evidence." If you know of one valid piece of archeological evidence that the Bible is true, please give specifics so I can evaluate its merits. Citing apologetic websites with vague references is not enough. You fail. Your evidence is fiction set against a historical background. Just because Homer wrote about the Trojan wars and we've found the city of Troy, doesn't mean that Apollo, Aprodite, and the other Greek gods participated in that supposed war.
 
And you were challenged to read Ehrman, but you failed to do so. That called Hypocritical.
Excuse me? I bought that stupid audio book and listened to it twice. If you don't believe I listened to it that's your problem because I did and I'm not discussing it anymore as I found that book a waste of time and I know the author is going to wish he never wrote it when he meets his maker. I wouldn't want to be in Ehrman's shoes on judgement day. Talk about someone influenced by Satan!
 
Last edited:
Excuse me? I bought that stupid audio book and listened to it twice. If you don't believe I listened to it that's your problem because I did and I'm not discussing it anymore as I found that book a waste of time and I know the author is going to wish he never wrote it when he meets his maker. I wouldn't want to be in Ehrman's shoes on judgement day. Talk about someone influenced by Satan!


I do believe you bought it and listened, but I do not believe you heard and understood the vast majority of it. When you were questioned as to the contents, you made it quite clear you weren't familiar with what Ehrman said. At best, it appeared that you read the description on the cover rather than heard the message within.

This is why I, and others, find your reading requirements hypocritical, if not down right insulting. Why is it that you expect us to approach your recommendations with an open mind when you repeatedly refuse to return the courtesy? Is your faith so weak that it cannot face honest examination (which is what is contained in Ehrman's book), much less a serious challenge?

If you ever change your mind and decide to demonstrate open-mindedness and faith rather than simply prattling on about it, let me know. I am always up for a book swap.
 
Which is the great irony of religion: many claim some immutable "Truth" that only they can lay claim to (with "evidence" from their holy texts, I might add), yet these claims contradict one another, leading to an obvious paradox...

... how can multiple religions all lay claim to the "one True path" when they disagree with each other? Answer: they can't.

I can anticipate what folks like KK will likely say, because when I was a kid asking these questions I got the usual "we're right, they're wrong, we're going to heaven, they're going to hell, so get on board with us" nonsense. Which is, of course, nothing more than attempting to scare people into going along with the rest of the herd. It was childish then, and it's childish now.

Even at 15 or 16, I realized the only solution to this paradox that made any sense to me then (and still does)...

They're all wrong. They're all just making it up. Rather than admit that they don't really know (which frightens them to no end), they'd just as soon make up fairy-tales, claim "ultimate Truth", and use all these smoke & mirrors as a cover for their own ignorance, fear, and inadequacy.

Can you really afford to be wrong MM? I am only here sharing the truth of Jesus with people because he opened my eyes when he saved me. He is the one spurring me on here so all have a chance of coming to repentance as this is the perfect will of God.

And I would like to add, if Jesus saved you like he did me you would certainly change your tune, I guarantee that. He's the one that lights a holy fire in us to tell this disbelieving world he is the only way to the Father! Many of you have heard the warning but I would seriously take it to heart as we are telling you the truth that can save a mans soul. Jesus did die on calvary and his shed blood cleanses all from our sins and unrighteousness. He makes us new in him and it is a new beginning knowing one day you have the promise of living forever. Now why would anyone in their right mind miss out on this?
 
Can you really afford to be wrong MM? I am only here sharing the truth of Jesus with people because he opened my eyes when he saved me. He is the one spurring me on here so all have a chance of coming to repentance as this is the perfect will of God.

And I would like to add, if Jesus saved you like he did me you would certainly change your tune, I guarantee that. He's the one that lights a holy fire in us to tell this disbelieving world he is the only way to the Father! Many of you have heard the warning but I would seriously take it to heart as we are telling you the truth that can save a mans soul. Jesus did die on calvary and his shed blood cleanses all from our sins and unrighteousness. He makes us new in him and it is a new beginning knowing one day you have the promise of living forever. Now why would anyone in their right mind miss out on this?


Did you even read the post you are quoting?

Too funny. :D
 
I do believe you bought it and listened, but I do not believe you heard and understood the vast majority of it. When you were questioned as to the contents, you made it quite clear you weren't familiar with what Ehrman said. At best, it appeared that you read the description on the cover rather than heard the message within.

This is why I, and others, find your reading requirements hypocritical, if not down right insulting. Why is it that you expect us to approach your recommendations with an open mind when you repeatedly refuse to return the courtesy? Is your faith so weak that it cannot face honest examination (which is what is contained in Ehrman's book), much less a serious challenge?

If you ever change your mind and decide to demonstrate open-mindedness and faith rather than simply prattling on about it, let me know. I am always up for a book swap.

Okay Hokulele, but it's hard to remember everything in a book when it's an audio and I really did not want to sit down and take notes on it while I listened to it because most of what he shared I just couldn't wrap my head around as his view is opposing to mine. In my opinion the author was totally deceived on the subject of pain and why God not only allows it in our lives, but why he uses it for a greater purpose. He cares more about our character than anything and if life had no painful lessons we probably would never acknowledge our need to grow and change through the whole thing. I know it's not easy to accept sometimes when people sometimes suffer horrible things. but God's in control even when we don't understand what he allows and why.

I just thought it was strange someone like you who apparently has never really suffered would even pick such a subject. I can relate to pain more than lots of people beause I have gone through some really tough stuff, but people like you who have not had to suffer according to your own admitance I don't understand why you would even investigate it? I mean most of us usally have a motive when we are wanting to learn about a topic but what was your motive in wanting to understand if there is a God then why is there suffering? I really and puzzled by your interest in it I guess. I even think you purposely used this book to try to derail me from my life of faith. It didn't work if that was your motive. I can say like Job even though the Lord slay me, yet will I praise him.
 
Last edited:
Okay Hokulele, but it's hard to remember everything in a book when it's an audio and I really did not want to sit down and take notes on it while I listened to it...


But that was exactly what the whole thing was about. I would take notes on a reading of your choice (which I did), and you would do the same. We would then discuss what was read, on both sides of an issue, and see what each could learn from the other.

...because most of what he shared I just couldn't wrap my head around as his view is opposing to mine.


Again, that was the whole point. You can't think that I share many opinions with Charlie Campbell. And yet, I still read, pondered, and commented on what he wrote. The whole point of skepticism and critical thinking is to examine viewpoints that may run counter to your own.

In my opinion the author was totally deceived on the subject of pain and why God not only allows it in our lives, but why he uses it for a greater purpose. He cares more about our character than anything and if life had no painful lessons we probably would never acknowledge our need to grow and change through the whole thing. I know it's not easy to accept sometimes when people sometimes suffer horrible things. but God's in control even when we don't understand what he allows and why.


Meaning, you didn't even bother to get listen to the introduction, much less the body of the book. As was pointed out to you more than once, this type of objection was not only examined and countered, but the author took it a step further and offered solutions to the problem of suffering, rather than the sanctimonious, yet cowardly, solution of simply accepting it, and even approving of it. That is why people have such a poor reaction to many of your posts, you appear to approve of other's suffering, and even encourage it.

Ick.

I just thought it was strange someone like you who apparently has never really suffered would even pick such a subject. I can relate to pain more than lots of people beause I have gone through some really tough stuff, but people like you who have not had to suffer according to your own admitance I don't understand why you would even investigate it? I mean most of us usally have a motive when we are wanting to learn about a topic but what was your motive in wanting to understand if there is a God then why is there suffering? I really and puzzled by your interest in it I guess. I even think you purposely used this book to try to derail me from my life of faith. It didn't work if that was your motive. I can say like Job even though the Lord slay me, yet will I praise him.


Poor you. And here you are, with your husband out of work and all, about to vacation on Maui starting next week. :rolleyes:

But to answer your question, my interest in that book was due to a thread called "Scriptural Literacy", on this very sub-forum, where other works by Ehrman were discussed. It had nothing to do with derailing your life of faith, but everything to do with trying to get you to understand why others do not share your opinions. You see, I could not possibly care less how you conduct your personal life, but I care quite a bit how you try to scare others into sharing a life of fear and submission. I care quite a bit how you demean people I know and love, such as Ducky and Roadtoad. I care quite a bit that you demand things of people you have never met that you yourself would never attempt. I care that you act as if you have so little respect for your fellow human beings that you refuse to even consider understanding another point of view.

And as a final note, if suffering is required for faith to flourish, thanks, but no thanks.
 
Ah, Hokulele, everything that makes kk uncomfortable is clearly the work of satan.

I wonder if that includes me...:boggled:
 
kurious_kathy, I would like you to know that I am reading your articles on ABR.com right now. I will post with comments on them later. However...

kurious_kathy said:
Can you really afford to be wrong MM?

There are thousands of religions. What is the probability that yours is correct? Same as the others, that's what. Almost nil. So just don't pick one, since you're going to be wrong anyway and you might as well live your life without all that pseudo-philosophical garbage.

I am only here sharing the truth of Jesus with people because he opened my eyes when he saved me. He is the one spurring me on here so all have a chance of coming to repentance as this is the perfect will of God.

A phrase repeated hundreds of times over hundreds of years by hundreds of cultists just like you.


And I would like to add, if Jesus saved you like he did me you would certainly change your tune, I guarantee that.

Well duh. Circular logic again. "If you believed in Jesus, you would believe in Jesus!"

He's the one that lights a holy fire in us (ouch) to tell this disbelieving world he is the only way to the Father! Many of you have heard the warning but I would seriously take it to heart as we are telling you the truth that can save a mans soul. Jesus did die on calvary and his shed blood cleanses all from our sins and unrighteousness. He makes us new in him and it is a new beginning knowing one day you have the promise of living forever.

See first comment.

Now why would anyone in their right mind miss out on this?

Why would anyone in their right mind submit to this?

kurious_kathy said:
Okay Hokulele, but it's hard to remember everything in a book when it's an audio and I really did not want to sit down and take notes on it while I listened to it because most of what he shared I just couldn't wrap my head around as his view is opposing to mine.

TRANSLATION: I won't listen to what he says because he says I'm wrong.

In my opinion the author was totally deceived on the subject of pain and why God not only allows it in our lives, but why he uses it for a greater purpose. He cares more about our character than anything and if life had no painful lessons we probably would never acknowledge our need to grow and change through the whole thing. I know it's not easy to accept sometimes when people sometimes suffer horrible things. but God's in control even when we don't understand what he allows and why.

God is all-powerful, right? He could have just made us perfect. Why not? The only reason (besides the fact that he doesn't exist) is that he likes to mess with our heads. He likes to control things. He is a selfish being who created the universe solely as his own entertainment and cares little for us. Did you read my earlier thread, "The Rebellion"?

I just thought it was strange someone like you who apparently has never really suffered would even pick such a subject.

Prove that Hokulele has never suffered, that he is not lying on a hospital bed right now dying of simultaneous cancer and anthrax. And the plague.

I can relate to pain more than lots of people beause I have gone through some really tough stuff,

So f***ing what? So has everyone. The little starving children in Ethiopia and India.

but people like you who have not had to suffer according to your own admitance I don't understand why you would even investigate it? I mean most of us usally have a motive when we are wanting to learn about a topic but what was your motive in wanting to understand if there is a God then why is there suffering?

You claim to want to know and understand God, but you refuse to examine his motives?

I really and puzzled by your interest in it I guess. I even think you purposely used this book to try to derail me from my life of faith. It didn't work if that was your motive.

Yes, it was. You try to prove to us that your faith is correct - "derail us from our lives of atheism" - and we try to prove to you that our lack of faith is correct. This is what we call a debate, KK. An honest exchange of opinions and evidence to affect mutual increase in knowledge.

I can say like Job even though the Lord slay me, yet will I praise him.

That's just sad, and obviously a result of deep brainwashing. Again, have you read "The Rebellion"?
 
Okay, listening to "Answers to Skeptics' Top Five Questions" audio file. Here's my thoughts as he goes on:

- He says that evidence is all around us, but the majority of the "evidence" he gives is that the Bible says that atheism is foolish. Simple "we're-right-you're-wrong"-ism.
- He says several things on the subject of Stephen Hawking, claiming that "the atheistic community lives off the things that this guy says." He also says that Hawking is of the opinion that the universe had a beginning. What he fails to acknowledge is that just because the universe had a beginning doesn't mean that it had a creator. The two are not mutually inclusive.
- He says that the option that the universe created itself is "philosophically impossible." First off, nothing is philosophically impossible. Philosophy is considering things. You can't not be able to consider something. Second of all, it is not impossible that the universe created itself. Outside the bounds of our universe, the Laws of Conservation of Matter and Energy do not necessarily apply. The matter that later led to the Big Bag could have come spontaneously into being, even though it seems impossible to us. Things like that don't happen in our universe, but they could in (or outside) others.
- "Obviously a nonexistent universe could not have created itself... we all know that nothing cannot do anything." Again, outside our universe, the Laws of Cause and Effect don't necessarily apply. It could have created itself.
- Okay, now he's brought up the Laws himself. Again, he fails to admit that the Laws have only been proven to hold true inside our universe.
- He fails to even examine the third option, that there is a Creator. He fails to address the question "How did God come to exist?"
- Useless analogy about painters.
- He talks about fulfilled prophecies, stating that other holy books do not contain ANY fulfilled prophecies. Not a single one contains any specific fulfilled prophecies. He states that the Bible contains fulfilled prophecies, failing to address the issue that all prophecies in the Bible are "fulfilled" by the later contents of the Bible.
- He now says that 27% of the prophecies are fulfilled, then equates this to 1 in 4 of the verses being true. Prophecy does not equal verse.
- Now he even cites the self-fulfilling Bible prophecies as support for his argument. I'm getting incredibly sick of this.
- Archaeological evidence now. Anyone care to look up this stone that he's talking about and tell me when it was debunked as a hoax? Skipping the rest of this section, might go back and listen to it later.
- Okay, screw this. I'm done.

That's as much as I got through before I turned it off. Kathy, so far this appears to be the exact same arguments that you have been using on this site. That is to say, every one is either a lie, circular logic, or simply ignores the facts. Do you have anything to say in his/your defense?
 
Can you really afford to be wrong MM?
I can afford it as well as you can.

I am only here sharing the truth of Jesus with people because he opened my eyes when he saved me. He is the one spurring me on here so all have a chance of coming to repentance as this is the perfect will of God.
Can't possibly be the perfect will of an omnipotent being, or it would have found a more effective mouthpiece. If a tree knocked on my door, I'd listen to what it had to say. Parade of Jehovah's Witnesses? Not interested.

Now why would anyone in their right mind miss out on this?
Because it isn't true. Life is short, and I don't have time for such nonsense.
 
on the subject of pain and why God not only allows it in our lives, but why he uses it for a greater purpose. He cares more about our character than anything and if life had no painful lessons we probably would never acknowledge our need to grow and change through the whole thing.
If you build it right the first time, you don't have to torture it into growing and changing into something you can be proud of.

Your relationship with this God of yours sounds like the the rationalizations of an abused spouse.

I know it's not easy to accept sometimes when people sometimes suffer horrible things. but God's in control even when we don't understand what he allows and why.
As mere humans, we encounter circumstances we can't control, and I can see how it might be comforting to believe that there is a higher power watching over us and orchestrating events for our benefit. I don't believe that is the case, but I can understand how someone who prefers to remain a child would find that view appealing.

I can say like Job even though the Lord slay me, yet will I praise him.
Battered woman syndrome, pure and simple. "It's my fault he beat me. I'll do better."

I think there might be less pain in your life if you stopped focusing on how much better things will be after you're dead, and started focusing on what specific steps you can take today to improve your situation. As long as you maintain this "God is in control, it doesn't matter what I do or don't do" attitude, you'll likely continue to drift aimlessly, thinking your life has purpose, but foolishly spending most of your time simply parroting fairy tales.
 
Kathy: I'm still waiting for you to come up with specific answers to the questions and challenges I listed in my last post. These are:

1) Several people on this thread have already challenged you to come up with one fulfilled biblical prophecy. Let's hear it.

2) So, of what archaeological proof are you speaking?

3) So, again, give us one piece of scientific evidence that supports your position.

Again: that's one specificly fulfilled prophecy, one bit of archaeological evidence backing a biblical text and one piece of scientific data supporting either the Bible or the exisence of God. Unless I'm missing something, the websites to which you have directed posters on this thread don't give those specifics. Since you seem certain that such evidence exists, why don't you simply state what it is? Then we can stop wasting time with vague generalizations. We will have specific, possible testable points.
 
I just thought it was strange someone like you who apparently has never really suffered would even pick such a subject.

Prove that Hokulele has never suffered, that he is not lying on a hospital bed right now dying of simultaneous cancer and anthrax. And the plague.

I can relate to pain more than lots of people beause I have gone through some really tough stuff,

So f***ing what? So has everyone. The little starving children in Ethiopia and India.

but people like you who have not had to suffer according to your own admitance I don't understand why you would even investigate it? I mean most of us usally have a motive when we are wanting to learn about a topic but what was your motive in wanting to understand if there is a God then why is there suffering?

You claim to want to know and understand God, but you refuse to examine his motives?

KK can't seem to conceive that anyone might be Kurious about something without having a deep personal investment in it, that they might have interests beyond themselves. For KK, the dreamiest deity on the varsity God-Squad asked her to the dance, and that's all that matters.
 
Kathy, you and the Bible fail on this so called "evidence." If you know of one valid piece of archeological evidence that the Bible is true, please give specifics so I can evaluate its merits. Citing apologetic websites with vague references is not enough. You fail. Your evidence is fiction set against a historical background. Just because Homer wrote about the Trojan wars and we've found the city of Troy, doesn't mean that Apollo, Aprodite, and the other Greek gods participated in that supposed war.

Kathy, I'm still waiting for some good archeological evidence that the bible is true. Some evidence that is cited and published in archeological journals. Where is it?
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom