• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Nightline Debate: Does Satan Exist?

EGarrett

Illuminator
Joined
Feb 24, 2004
Messages
3,086
This is quite possibly the worst "debate" I've ever seen. I can't believe this is serious.

Their panel is an ex-hooker, a complete idiot, Deepak Chopra and an Ex-Minister both of whom are dressed like a Middle-Eastern pimps and wearing sunglasses indoors.

Chopra is actually the closest thing to the voice of reason. There is no scientific, atheist, or rationalist perspective offered.

 
I saw this live on Nightline a few weeks back. And had the same take as EGarrett. Hell MUST have frozen over because I also identified Chopra as the voice of reason. Never thought I'd ever feel that way about him.

At one time Nightline had some pretty good topics and first rate presenters. Granted TV journalism is getting worse, but this Nightline "debate" was just pathetic. What were they thinking?
 
OK, I've only watched the beginning, up to where the pastor is saying God is good, loving etc. I assume no one during the debate pointed out how many people God kills in the Bible vs. how many Satan kills?
 
The stupid! It burns!!! :flamed:

ETA: You've got to wonder what the moderator was thinking... "I can't believe that I'm in the middle of all this stupid. What did I do to piss off ABC?"
 
Last edited:
I saw this live on Nightline a few weeks back. And had the same take as EGarrett. Hell MUST have frozen over because I also identified Chopra as the voice of reason. Never thought I'd ever feel that way about him.

Well, considering whom he was teamed up against, it's not hard to see Chopra as "the voice of reason" - but that's kind of an insult to reason, if you ask me.

ETA: I did find the opening remarks of the black minister in purple to be interesting, goofy but interesting. But the ex-hooker and evangelical pastor... wow, I think some of my neurons committed suicide listening to that drivel :rolleyes:
 
Last edited:
Okay, I just saw the bit where the ex-hooker started going on about how she was literally attacked & raped by demons... what the frak... why someone didn't just call her ◊◊◊◊◊◊* crazy right then and there I don't know.
 
Done watching it all... ugh. The part at the end where the evangelical preacher read from the Bible annoyed me to no end :rolleyes:

I have to wonder how much more interesting it would have been had Hitchens been there :)
 
Okay, I just saw the bit where the ex-hooker started going on about how she was literally attacked & raped by demons... what the frak... why someone didn't just call her ◊◊◊◊◊◊* crazy right then and there I don't know.

Because, for some reason bat **** crazy is ok as long as it's religious bat **** crazy.

Note to everyone in the USA: 1st amendment rights allow bat **** crazy people to have their bat **** crazy religous beliefs. It also allows you to say their bat **** crazy beliefs are bat **** crazy! Don't be afraid to point out the obvious!
 
Okay, I just saw the bit where the ex-hooker started going on about how she was literally attacked & raped by demons... what the frak... why someone didn't just call her ◊◊◊◊◊◊* crazy right then and there I don't know.
Same reason fish don't call each other 'wet'.
 
When Following the Preacher explaining why god is good

Depak-"It is a bit difficult to respond because everything he says is in direct contradiction to what we know about the physical universe that began about 13 billion years ago...."
 
I have problems with access to youtube.

Were there any interesting points raised?
 
Okay, I just saw the bit where the ex-hooker started going on about how she was literally attacked & raped by demons... what the frak... why someone didn't just call her ◊◊◊◊◊◊* crazy right then and there I don't know.
:looks both sides, hoping truethat is not within hearing range:
Because calling rape victims bat-**** crazy for stating they were raped is exceptionally poor form;)? Look, I realize it's the "they were demons" part that got to you, but if I was sexually assaulted and a believer, I'd probably be tempted to identify my assailants as demon-possessed or demonic, too. If that's the craziest you can fish out of the debate, it must have been quite decent.

What's weirdest for me is that they had a former prostitute in there in the first place. For what reason? Because she stated she was raped by demons? Because prostitutes are viewed as downtrodden or lacking in puritan morals?

If only Dr. Dawkins had been there... :D
 
Well, It would be weird to have had an atheist on there.
"I don't even think there's a god, and you're asking me if I think the devil exists???? "
 
Okay, I just saw the bit where the ex-hooker started going on about how she was literally attacked & raped by demons... what the frak... why someone didn't just call her ◊◊◊◊◊◊* crazy right then and there I don't know.

She said she had the sensation of being held down, terrified, unable to move or see her attackers - that sounded like a classic description of sleep paralysis to me.
 
I always liked that argument.

God is all good and created things which are all good
???
Now you're evil
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom