• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Linux

Crud. I think I'm gonna need to divine what the su password is supposed to be. Got this error:

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ grub-install /dev/mapper/nvidia_aiachche1
rm: cannot remove `/boot/grub/915resolution.mod': Permission denied
sorry, that should be

sudo grub-install /dev/mapper/nvidia_aiachche1
 
root@ubuntu:~# sudo grub-install /dev/mapper/nvidia_aiachche1
/usr/sbin/grub-probe: error: cannot find a device for /boot/grub (is /dev mounted?).

Seems like it really doesn't want to cooperate.
 
Last edited:
root@ubuntu:~# sudo grub-install /dev/mapper/nvidia_aiachche1
/usr/sbin/grub-probe: error: cannot find a device for /boot/grub (is /dev mounted?).

Seems like it really doesn't want to cooperate.
What about

sudo grub-install hd0

I'm starting to guess now.
 
Last edited:
Same error. Yeah, I don't blame you. I ran out of ideas long ago. I've got about fifteen tabs open on various sites trying to figure this out, and I'm at the guessing point, too.
 
And here, dear traveller, is just the start of your fun with *nix.

:grin:
 
Yeah, but if I don't give up and actually get it working, I can almost guarantee it'll be less frustrating then the problems I get from windows.
 
BAH! Most of the guides I'm seeing tell me to "sudo fdisk -l" but I get "Unable to seek on /dev/sda". It always comes down to that. It's like i'm going in circles.
 
Nobody else have any ideas? I registered and posted at the Ubuntu forums. Must not be a lot of people there, nobody is responding. I'm pretty much at the end of my rope.
 
Havent gamed on linux for a while but at one point half Life and UnReal Tournbament played very well under wine as did some others, one game however blew the hell out of my x server, so hopefully things have improved since then.

Unreal Tournament can be installed natively, there is an installer for it, no need for wine. Installers for all versions up to 2004 version. Not for latest release tho.
 
Nobody else have any ideas? I registered and posted at the Ubuntu forums. Must not be a lot of people there, nobody is responding. I'm pretty much at the end of my rope.


I'm following along here and I don't mean to sound snarky, so apologies!

Maybe you can try another distro other than Ubuntu?

Or maybe unplug a drive so there's no RAID issues complicating matters during install, then, if all goes well, try and do a RAID setup.
 
Got my heart sent on ubuntu for the most part. Getting another distro would require reinstalling windows, then reinstalling drivers, getting another disc burned, then back to square one.

But tonight when I get back to the house, the first thing I'm going to do is figure out how to un-raid things. I'd actually prefer it un-raided. Just gotta find where in the bios to un-raid things.
 
Got my heart sent on ubuntu for the most part.

http://www.linuxmint.com/oldreleases.php :D ;)

Code:
Linux Mint ReleasesVersion 	Codename 	Package base 	Status 
10	Julia	Ubuntu Maverick	Supported until April 2012.
9	Isadora	Lucid Lynx	Long term support release (LTS), supported until April 2013.
8	Helena	Ubuntu Karmic	Supported until April 2011.


Getting another distro would require reinstalling windows, then reinstalling drivers, getting another disc burned, then back to square one.


Ah, okay.


But tonight when I get back to the house, the first thing I'm going to do is figure out how to un-raid things. I'd actually prefer it un-raided. Just gotta find where in the bios to un-raid things.


Hopefully that will solve this dilemma!
 
No kidding. I'm that eager to slough off windows once and for all.

... and running ubuntu from the live CD! Back with Windows, even the desktop would case my internal fan to start humming, though it wouldn't scream away unless I was gaming with something graphic intensive. The live CD for ubuntu? I'm not sure if the fan's even ON. And the case remains quite cool. I like it already!
 
Good news of a sort! I've made much progress! The install works now! I can now boot from the hard disk with no recovery prompt! The last bug preventing me from a HD boot to desktop is the black screen. No problem, I know to use nomodeset. Problem is, I can't get to any kind of options to make that change before it hits the desktop. I kid you not, my m17x blows through that part so fast I can't do it.

So, I'm on live CD again. Can someone walk me through making the change from here? I'd appreciate it!
 
... aaaand, nevermind! I've succeeded. (Held shift!)

So here I am. Booted from the hard disk straight to Ubuntu desktop for the first time EVER. Victory tastes sweet.

But of course, while the battle may be won, the war is not yet over. Time to install drivers!

#EDIT: Bah. Vid drivers not working... I'm running an X server it says. No idea what that means.
 
Last edited:
Hey, congrats on your continued success!

The X server is the way Linux presents a graphical interface -- like a webserver, the X server "serves" you the graphical desktop even though it's on the same machine.

If you're trying to install NVidia drivers, you'll first have to quit the X server and do the install on the command line, then restart X.

If you need help with that, tomorrow, I can dig out my directions for ya, or maybe someone else can post it in the interim.
 
Last edited:
Already made progress there hehe. CTRL-ALT-F1 to drop to prompt. F7 to return.

The problem I'm currently on is the system doesn't seem to see my monitor attached to my laptop. It does see my card correctly, and I can get the resolutions I expect. The monitor is my curse right now heh.
 
And now CTRL-ALT-F1 fails to dump me into a prompt. *headdesk*
I get a basic text screen like it should, but it never gives me a prompt. And CTRL-ALT-F7 won't bring up the X server anymore either.

One step forward, two steps back.
 
Holds on, no need to leave X, you should have a wee alert in the system bar telling you restricted drivers are available, this will install the nvidia drivers for your, maybe wifi as well. No need to drop out of X.

Once you have reconfigured /etc/X11/xorg.conf (the restricted package should do this anyway) you need to restart X, probably easy to reboot.

The /etc directory is analogous to the windows registry, except it is largely in plain language.
 
And now CTRL-ALT-F1 fails to dump me into a prompt. *headdesk*
I get a basic text screen like it should, but it never gives me a prompt. And CTRL-ALT-F7 won't bring up the X server anymore either.

One step forward, two steps back.

from the prompt, try just alt-f7, no need for the ctrl
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom