• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Linux

I might very well give slackerware a shot tonight. I did put windows back on it (Game was released out of beta I'd wanted to play) and it's already getting my hackles up. For whatever reason, win7 on my machine makes it "rediscover" all USB attachments. Over and over again. Which is a pain when you're gaming and using a USB mouse.
 
I'm installing Windows 7 on a partition in order to have Steam working properly and iTunes for my iPod.

I'm still going to primarily use Linux as it is better for me in every other way.

EDIT: There are wireless driver and video card driver issues in Windows, argh.
 
I tried putting it in VirtualBox instead and that is much better, except it failed to get my iPod driver.
 
Got slackware burned onto a disc. That'll be my weekend project. I hope the graphics card and monitor issue isn't one this time around.
 
Ubuntu Netbook Remix was my preferred distro for my netbook for a long time, but I eventually decided I wanted a less restrictive interface and multiple workspaces. Linux Mint KDE (using mint4win) worked flawlessly. A fifteen second boot with netbook specs is pretty amazing -- not to mention that all the eye candy I had assumed was out of reach Just Worked!

I haven't really seen a reason to dual-boot my desktop, given that nearly all of the programs I use regularly are cross-platform. If I do, it'll probably be Linux Mint 11, maybe with Gnome 3.
 
Unity

I really don't think Unity was ready to be released.

So far:

Performance has been abysmal.

I hate the Launcher bar. It has apps in which I don't really care about and ones I use regularly nowhere to be seen. Accessing apps which I want to use is far more effort than it should be. For example, I wanted to take a screenshot. Click the Ubuntu logo. Open the horrid black window, click More Apps. It isn't in that list, so click over to the right. Click All Applications, on that menu click Accessories. It isn't in that list either, obviously the screenshot tool isn't popular so click Show all 10 applications. And there it is. The screenshot program.

I initally tried dragging and dropping items into the Launcher bar, but it doesn't respond to this. I eventually noticed that you can add applications by first opening them so an icon appears in the Launcher then right clicking on that icon and ticking 'Keep In Launcher'. I did this for the terminal program. The first time the Launcher auto-hid itself and then reappeared the icon was missing. I can still click it - but no icon.

To access my documents I go to the top menu, clicks Places, click Documents in the menu that drops down. Except if I have firefox open I can't do this because the top menu becomes firefox's menu. So to access my Documents folder I have to minimise all applications which I have open so the top menu bar goes back to being the base OS menu. Never mind you can drag and drop folders into the Launcher bar (like Documents) so you can always access them. Oh no. You can't.

I have firefox open. I click the button in the launcher to open my Home folder. The menu at the top still belongs to firefox, so even though I have a folder window open, which has focus the menu along the top still belongs to firefox (since it's maximised). This is awful! To access the menu for the window I am using I have to minimise all applications to access it's menu.

No way that I can see to rearrange the order of things in the Launcher bar.

I am also having intermittent problems regarding window contents not refreshing. Occasionally when I maximise a window the contents do not refresh and it's just a full screen white box. I have to then resize the window to get the contents back and force a refresh.

For some windows, I can't get the contents back at all. Here's what happens when I try to open a spreadsheet using File > Open in Libre Office Spreadsheets.

openspreadsheet.png


I have had the top menu bar disappear, the contents were still clickable but you had to guess where the text was.

I want to install a compiz tool so I try to open a terminal. I click Alt-F2. It doesn't open a terminal. Instead if opens what seems like a graphical command prompt at the top of the screen. I start tying sudo apt-get install then it tries to guess what I want and extends the command prompt window down over the window that contained the text I was copying :ranting: So I click in the window to move it down to find the name of the package I want to install and the command prompt disappears.

Why take away my terminal!!!!!!

My fan hasn't stopped going mental since I booted into Unity and all I'm doing is running firefox and an MSN client.

It seems like a really dumbed down OS which favours form over function. Yes, it might look pretty but from a usability standpoint it's hideous. It's also really flakey and a processor hog.

That is a statement I never thought I would make about Linux.
 
Last edited:
Got slackware burned onto a disc. That'll be my weekend project. I hope the graphics card and monitor issue isn't one this time around.
I hope you had a good weekend Earl. Slackware may not be the easiest distro to set-up or upgrade but if you have problems, they are much more fixable than those "run straight from the box" distros.

http://genek.net/LinuxAdventures/sysadmin/installation1.html is a good installation guide. I recommend you follow it

If you run into problems, you could check out this site: http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/. The people there are very helpful.

You have already tried the "easy" distros so this probably won't help you much but before installing linux, I booted Puppy Linux from a CD so I could check out the hardware issues. In my case, NVIDIA proved to be an issue but was easily solved by downloading the appropriate package (for both Puppy and Slackware).

PM me if I can help you.
 
I'm using Ubuntu 11.04, with Windows 7 on a 140gb partition compared to Ubuntu's 500gb partition. I'll only use Windows (on this computer) for Steam, and I'll try to find ways to play the games I bought with WINE and emulators.

If only we had Steam. I wasn't getting any sound using it through WINE. And I probably wouldn't be able to use a controller with it as WINE and USB things don't go together.

And I didn't find any 64-bit sega mega drive/genesis emulators.
 
I'm using Ubuntu 11.04, with Windows 7 on a 140gb partition compared to Ubuntu's 500gb partition. I'll only use Windows (on this computer) for Steam, and I'll try to find ways to play the games I bought with WINE and emulators.

If only we had Steam. I wasn't getting any sound using it through WINE. And I probably wouldn't be able to use a controller with it as WINE and USB things don't go together.

And I didn't find any 64-bit sega mega drive/genesis emulators.
I've got no problems running Steam under WINE, including a game that according to the WINE compatibility database won't even start (OK, so that one took some fiddling, but the others such as Portal worked just fine first time) - if you've got your controller set up in Linux, I see no reason it won't work through WINE, either. You looked at Play On Linux yet?
 
I have not tried steam recently on wine, but had it working fine and running CS:S and HL2 + HL with no problems way before vesion 1. Not tried it recently as I have it spearated now, if I boot up Linux, I am working and cannot just boot up a game for a bit of terrorist shooting.
 
I was using Play On Linux. I had heard that USB devices won't be recognised by things in WINE but hadn't tried.

I'll give POL another shot. Thanks.
 
I was using Play On Linux. I had heard that USB devices won't be recognised by things in WINE but hadn't tried.

I'll give POL another shot. Thanks.

I've just checked and my Steam was running on WINE 1.3.16. You can change this through Tools -> WINE versions, downloading whichever version you wish and then assigning it on the next tab :)
 
SEGA Genesis & Mega Drive Classics, which is what I've been playing lately, stops responding after a few seconds. It's okay, though.

Thanks. :)
 
SEGA Genesis & Mega Drive Classics, which is what I've been playing lately, stops responding after a few seconds. It's okay, though.

Thanks. :)
If you don't mind having a play around with it in an attempt to make it work, if you run it through a debug console (again, you can do this through PoL) it will dump whatever's causing the error, allowing you to whack the error message into google and, potentially, you can fix it. That's how I got Killing Floor working... well, that and winetricks! :D
 
I have just helped a friend get shut of a stubborn piece of malware on her XP computer. I used a fedora live disc and a USB stick. This is the only time I have seen Gnome 3 as my ageing computer defaults to Gnome 2. The moral of this story is......erm......err......Good Samaritan(?).
 
If you don't mind having a play around with it in an attempt to make it work, if you run it through a debug console (again, you can do this through PoL) it will dump whatever's causing the error, allowing you to whack the error message into google and, potentially, you can fix it. That's how I got Killing Floor working... well, that and winetricks! :D

I've postponed doing that as I have other ways to play several of the games. I'll give it a shot eventually.

I am using Fedora 15's beta and I realised something nifty. Clicking on the battery icon shows not only my laptop's battery, but my iPod's battery, which is plugged in. I tried my android phone and it didn't show up.
 
Primarily using PCLinuxOS Gnome on main desktop, using Linux Mint 10 on laptops, netbook, and Ubuntu 10.10 on one of the notebooks. All work great. Keep trying others, but keep coming back to these. Great hardware support, ease of use, and Linux Mint and PCLOS Gnome forums are very friendly and responsive. Community is important. This is why I DON'T use Fedora, there;s has **** me to tears in the past, and I just gave up on expecting any kind of helpful support there.
 
My new laptop's speakers no longer work. :(

It didn't work in Windows 7, Ubuntu 11.04 or a Linux Mint DE live CD. It happened unexpectedly. I followed some suggestions online but they didn't work. They were about installing some additional alsa things.

I don't think it's software-related.
 
Last edited:
Natty Narwhal here. Unity wont work on this laptop (T42) cause I only have a 2 ghz processor, but I'm ok with that. Didn't like what I have seen of it. Had a copy of Netbook 10.10 w/unity and it sucked.

Only complaint is, I cant get drivers for my Linksys usb nic...It runs the internal Intel 2100 fine, but I like the Linksys for ettercap, and wireshark, and firesheep. ;)

For some reason I can use aircrack-ng with the Intel card (even in monitor mode) but can't use it for other network "tools".

Never going back to windows.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom