catsmate
No longer the 1
- Joined
- Apr 9, 2007
- Messages
- 36,841
Indeed. Such a collection of poorly reasoned, biased nonsense as is usually trotted out when this subject is raised.Your collection did not provide any data at all
Indeed. Such a collection of poorly reasoned, biased nonsense as is usually trotted out when this subject is raised.Your collection did not provide any data at all
God says so.
Other than that, no.
I don't put prostitution in the same category as murder, but I do put it in the same category as chattel slavery. Shall we remove the ban on that, as well?
I don't believe in any god, never mind God, I still object to the legalization of prostitution.
How about if people are so desperate for money that they take a job cleaning the bathrooms at McDonald's? They would be "forced" into taking that type of job out of "economic necessity." If that is so, does that mean that you would have a problem with cleaning bathrooms at McDonald's as a living?
Jeez, doesn't pretty much everyone take a job out of "economic necessity"? And we take jobs that we can do and make money from them. Why is "flipping burgers" ok but "having sex" is not?
Surely that applies to absolutely any job, not just prostitution?
I don't put prostitution in the same category as murder, but I do put it in the same category as chattel slavery. Shall we remove the ban on that, as well?

...why would you put them in the same category? That doesn't make any sense at all.
banquetbear said:Because of some nonsensical equivalence with chattel slavery?
How about an interest in public safety and health? These are still good things, last I checked, and prostitution puts that at risk.
In a manner of speaking we already have legalized prostitution in the form of pornography (which I'm also against)
And we're talking about a line of work that exposes these people to paid sex with a limited amount of people that they know and work with.
What about laws that prostitution conflicts with, such as employment laws? What's to prevent employers from adding clauses in their employment contracts that require employees be willing to submit to sexual advances?
What about civil rights, which legalized prostitution is notorious for trampling on?
Anyone who thinks that this is only about some religious/moral outrage are wrong, anyone who thinks prostitution is a victimless crime are even wronger.
Your rights end where public safety and health begins.
So does alcohol, though.
Belz said:1) Pornography is not prostitution in any way.
Belz said:2) Why are you against pornography?
Belz said:And ?
Belz said:I don't see a problem.
Belz said:How so ?
Belz said:Who are the victims ?
I'm also for stricter alcohol laws, so your attempt to make my post look like a special pleading fallacy is rendered invalid.
It's prostitution by proxy because someone is paying another person to have sex with another person, which they also pay.
For a lot of the same reasons that I'm against prostitution, plus a few.
And that is several orders of magnitude different from having sex with complete strangers, which is just stupid.
It creates a situation that dissuades (mostly) females from entering the work environment, because at any time they could be called on to perform sexual favors for their employer or immediate supervisor and their only legal recourse would be comply or quit.
Prostitution negatively impacts minorities (women, the lower class, and non-whites) the most and encourages them to not seek a more complete education for short-term gains.
The prostitutes.
.Your rights end where public safety and health begins.
....
How so ? Do you have any idea why people get into escort services or pornogrpahy ?
...
Not if you're not for banning alcohol entirely.
Belz said:Yeah, that's not prostitution.
Belz said:I operate from a principle of allowing people to do whatever they want so long as no harm comes to another. Assuming you agree, how does pornography harm others ?
Belz said:Although I agree that having sex with complete strangers is unwise, it does not and should not be used as a reason to forbid people to do so.
Belz said:How so ? Do you have any idea why people get into escort services or pornogrpahy ?
Belz said:The people doing the actual work are victims of what they do ? You'll have to explain that one to me.
"Used" is a meaningless term here. When I pay a porter to carry my bag, am I using him as a nameless beast of burden?So being used and abused as a nameless sex object doesn't make prostitutes victims?
"Used" is a meaningless term here. When I pay a porter to carry my bag, am I using him as a nameless beast of burden?
As for "abused" -- where prostitution is legal, it is subject to same protections as any other job. A customer who gets physically abusive will be evicted and/or arrested, just like a customer who gets physically abusive in a barbershop.
Imbibing in alcohol isn't the same as engaging in prostitution.
Alcohol, drunk responsibly and in moderation, is not only safe but actually healthy.
Having sex with complete strangers, even without money involved? Even you agreed that it is unwise.
Yes, it is.
Pornography isn't free from harm. While it could be said that nothing is, all pornography seems to do is line the pockets of some very sleazy excuses of human beings.
I beg to disagree.
Lack of any other reasonable options. Which is hardly a good argument for it.
So being used and abused as a nameless sex object doesn't make prostitutes victims?
"Used" is a meaningless term here. When I pay a porter to carry my bag, am I using him as a nameless beast of burden?
As for "abused" -- where prostitution is legal, it is subject to same protections as any other job. A customer who gets physically abusive will be evicted and/or arrested, just like a customer who gets physically abusive in a barbershop.