Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains
- Joined
- Mar 31, 2007
- Messages
- 24,133
You have no idea how ironic I find it that the LDS do not even use Joseph Smith's Inspired Version of the Bible because they don't trust it. There are multiple and conflicting versions of the Book of Mormon and the D&C, not to mention Mormon history itself.
And to think, this legacy of scriptural chaos all in less than 200 years.
That's to be expected. The first couple of centuries of any new religious text is usually fraught with controversy. Check out the fighting that went on about what books to include or exclude in the bible. Those fights went on for centuries and centuries.
Why we think this wouldn't happen with the Book Of Mormon is beyond me.
Psssst. Newsflash. Actual Christians consider the book of Mormon to be pagan garbage. Same with all the nonsense in your "pearl of great price."
Your comment seems to imply that you think those documents are somehow considered scripture by both Christians and Mormons. They're not. Only Mormons consider those documents holy. I know Christians who deliberately included the book of Mormon and the pearl of great price in the bathroom with the Koran to use as toilet paper. Having read the book of Mormon and the pearl of great price I can't really say they were making a mistake.
I think it is a great waste to use any book, let alone theological texts, for such a purpose. Personally I keep a copy of the Quran I got back in college right next to my old personal copy of the Book of Mormon, my old Bible and The God Delusion on my book shelf. Never occurred to me to go and desecrate any of them.
Maybe I'm odd.
According to every denomination I've ever studied or church I've attended, that is a blasphemous lie. You are NOT a Christian. You are a pagan whose pantheon includes a Jesus-like figure and a bastardized version of the King James Bible. You are no more a Christian than practitioners of Islam.
Um, no. I think you have fairly unclear idea of what a Christian is and isn't.
Lying about being a Christian will not sway anyone with so much as a remedial comprehension of the dogma of both religions.
Interesting. I've been both a Baptist and Mormon. I came away thinking they were both "Christian." Does that make me a liar too?
You can babble all you want about your faith, but do NOT tell me a lie as obvious and shoddy as claiming to be a Christian. You are not. You are a pagan.
I'm curious as to what definition you are using to describe Mormons as "pagans" and not, say, Methodists?
IMO, that's a rather awkward and contradictory position. If LDS claims to be the "true" church, does that not imply that it considers other churches to be not true?
I shopped around for churches back in my youth. I found that they all claim to be "the one true church" even if they never explicitly use those words.
Notice you never see a "Second Church Of Christ" anywhere.