Slowvehicle
Membership Drive , Co-Ordinator,, Russell's Antin
Sure I know what it means: inconceivable relates to our discussion of non-procreative sex in another thread, right?
You may be laboring under a misconception...
Sure I know what it means: inconceivable relates to our discussion of non-procreative sex in another thread, right?
Sure I know what it means: inconceivable relates to our discussion of non-procreative sex in another thread, right?
You may be laboring under a misconception...
(emphasisadded)<snip for focus>
That being the case, you are not as well informed as I thought you were.
<snip for space>
I stated the composition of what Mormons believe constitutes the godhood.
<snip for space>
https://www.lds.org/ensign/1971/04/the-king-follett-sermon?lang=engGod himself was once as we are now, and is an exalted man, and sits enthroned in yonder heavens!...It is the first principle of the gospel to know for a certainty the character of God, and to know that we may converse with Him as one man converses with another, and that He was once a man like us... Here, then, is eternal life—to know the only wise and true God; and you have got to learn how to be gods yourselves...
-Joseph Smith, Jr. King Follett Sermon, 1844
And:The Lord created you and me for the purpose of becoming Gods like himself.
- Prophet Brigham Young, Journal of Discourses, v. 3, p. 93.
He is our Father – the Father of our Spirits, and was once a man in mortal flesh as we are, and is now an exalted being.
- Prophet Brigham Young, Journal of Discourses, v. 7, p. 333.
“Mormon prophets have continuously taught the sublime truth that God the Eternal Father was once a mortal man who passed through a school of earth life similar that through which we are now passing. He became God – an exalted being – through obedience to the same eternal Gospel truths that we are given opportunity to obey.
- Apostle Milton R. Hunter, The Gospel Through the Ages, p. 104.
There is a statement often repeated in the Church, and while it is not in one of the Standard Church Works, it is accepted as church doctrine, and this is: "As man is, God once was; as God is, man may become.”
- Apostle LeGrand Richards, letter to Morris L. Reynolds, July 14, 1966, cited by Tanner in Mormonism: Shadow or Reality, p. 164.
Again, I'm puzzled. What is the dispute over the Mormon godhood/godhead (pantheon, what-have-you)?
I'm having trouble following the quote trail back to find where Skyrider defined godhood. (A little help with a post number maybe, Skyrider?) But this is so basic, I could give an LDS-approved answer in a heartbeat.
In fact, I'm up early this morning, so bored and frustrated with this thread, that I'm going to give a Mormon-centric devil's advocate answer to godhood, godhead and inspiration that I honestly think 1) would be backed by the average LDS member as reasonably accurate and not offensive and 2) is a far stronger explanation or debating point on inspiration and the LDS church than what's been presented to far. And I'm going to do it without going to links, just off the top of my head.
He's working without a net, folks! Come watch him fall and die in a pool of blood!
Okay. Ahem. Here tis. My attempt at an off-the-cuff pro-LDS summary of the topic for the average non-LDS member:
The godhead of this earth is God the father, his son Jesus and the holy ghost, as described in the KJV Christian Bible as well as the additional LDS scriptures (with minor errors in translation and interpretation). Though the three members of the godhead are separate entities, they are united in purpose.
Prophets on earth are not gods, but have the authority to speak for God in the sphere over which they're placed, so the president of the church can receive revelaton for the whole church, while local leaders can only receive revelation for their own churches, down to fathers receiving only for their own families, for example. Each person can also receive revelation for him/herself through prayer.
The revelation to a prophet can vary from something official and Big, that gets put in the next edition of the scriptures (The Doctrine & Covenants) to a generic statement at general conference about the church helping with hurricane cleanup or something. The prophet/president can also speak casually without giving revelation. The Big statements rarely happen now that the church is becoming established--maybe every few decades.
Godhood is available to all worthy men and women after death, though they will have their own worlds to rule over in family groups and not interfere with this world. This is known, but not discussed much in detail, because the main issue is to lead a worthy life here. That's hard enough, but if you do that, your progression will happen and you will be guided along it successfully.
As far as inspiration of non-LDS members... All worthy people on earth, and all religions, contain some truth, and the closer they are toward truth, the more the LDS godhead will help them and inspire them. So the LDS god has been behind goodness even before the restoration, and people can feel his influence even without deliberately knowing of him or even believing in him.
The LDS god or godhood's influence is not something that can be defined beyond a certain degree. It's more a vague sense that goodness, beauty, fairness, love, and all those things LDS members are supposed to strive for, are also being striven for by others before or outside their religion, and that effort would be fostered and supported by the LDS godhead wherever it appears.
Forgive me, but this seems to be no more than a case of wanting to eat your cake and have it, too. You seem to be saying that, in your opinion, any work of goodness I do, or any art my partners works, is "inspired" by the "LDS godhead", whether I know it or not.
Does this apply to artists who (for instance) deny the "LDS godhead" (preferring, as an example, a more canonic and less arminian 'god')? Does it also apply to (for instance) artists who practice the love that dare not try to reach a low G in concert?
Am I mistaken in understanding that your description of "godhood" encompasses people "becoming" 'gods', with the inescapable implication that there are, or have been and will be, more than one 'god'?
Personally, I find it no more persuasive than any other apologetics, but I do appreciate it.
Yes. I think it probably sprang from the fact that the LDS church was so new, it had to draw converts from and integrate with other established religions.Forgive me, but this seems to be no more than a case of wanting to eat your cake and have it, too. You seem to be saying that, in your opinion, any work of goodness I do, or any art my partners works, is "inspired" by the "LDS godhead", whether I know it or not.
I'm guessing that it's all kept vague enough for people to believe what they want, since the goal is ecumenical warm fuzzies, with an emphasis on god helping good people. It's why they're nice to me, as an atheist. My wife's home and visiting teachers are coming out for a visit in an hour, and we get along fine for regular chit-chat, agree on the more bland humanitarian stuff, and I just ignore them when they pray with her as if they were talking about some mutual friend I didn't know.Does this apply to artists who (for instance) deny the "LDS godhead" (preferring, as an example, a more canonic and less arminian 'god')? Does it also apply to (for instance) artists who practice the love that dare not try to reach a low G in concert?
And do you, personally, hold that your opinion about "inspiration" from the "LDS godhead" is evidence that "divine inspiration" actually exists?
Giordano said:And I recognize that Pup is not presenting his own ideas here
Thanks for clearing up the quote trail. As far as I know, you're absolutely correct. LDS theology tends to talk about gods of this earth, meaning that the only gods important to us are the ones who created us here, but even then, it gets complicated. In the first thread, the question came up whether God's wive(s) were godesses of this earth under Mormon theology, and there was some disagreement (link to earlier post).
The other worlds and other potential gods, and our future godhood, are equally vague if not moreso, but I don't think the idea has ever been repudiated and I believe it's still a part of standard church doctrine, though not emphasized for the reason I noted in the other post.
Same here.
Yes. I think it probably sprang from the fact that the LDS church was so new, it had to draw converts from and integrate with other established religions.
On the one hand, it could and did say, "You're all wrong and a bunch of heathen sinners," but on the other hand, it was nice for the Methodist or Catholic congregation to move in wholesale to the growing city of Salt Lake and bring with them their money, industry, population etc. etc., as long as they didn't interfere. Living in semi-hostile holier-than-thou isolation hadn't worked out very well in Missouri and the east.
I'm guessing that it's all kept vague enough for people to believe what they want, since the goal is ecumenical warm fuzzies, with an emphasis on god helping good people. It's why they're nice to me, as an atheist. My wife's home and visiting teachers are coming out for a visit in an hour, and we get along fine for regular chit-chat, agree on the more bland humanitarian stuff, and I just ignore them when they pray with her as if they were talking about some mutual friend I didn't know.
I personally think divine inspiration from any source is bunkum, because of course there's no divinity and therefore nothing to inspire anyone, and obviously that also means there's no LDS godhead or godhood. Religious people of any stripe are all too blind or egotistical to realize it's just an illusion or delusion within the human brain which makes us think we've been inspired from a magical outside force, when there is no outside force and no magic other than the wonders of human consciousness as a emergent property of the brain.
What he said.
I especially agree with your assessment of the clever little built-in gotcha which the LDS church and other similar religions have created: "It even applies to atheists: they are achieving god's goals even if they don't know of god. Pretty clever, yes? And of course if they do evil, and claim to be inspired by god, then they are wrong."

LDS goes one better though.I especially agree with your assessment of the clever little built-in gotcha which the LDS church and other similar religions have created: "It even applies to atheists: they are achieving god's goals even if they don't know of god. Pretty clever, yes? And of course if they do evil, and claim to be inspired by god, then they are wrong."
LDS goes one better though.
Don't forget that in the LDS ontology, every human who has ever lived and will ever live started in Heaven and chose their life they are born to - regardless of how terrible or great that life is and regardless of what their beliefs end up becoming.
So not only do they vaguely lump everyone into their belief, but they also specifically (by consequence) claim that an atheist started in Heaven and already knew their god and chose - before birth - to become an atheist after traveling through the veil of knowledge because that's what they needed to struggle with to grow more into their divine purpose.


Well, THAT was an interesting email exchange.
This guy has contacted me to ask if he can use some of the content I've written on this forum in a study guide he's writing about Nephi's Bow. Apparently he was really taken with my interpretation and wants to expose other Mormons to it. To do this he needs to recast it as coming from a Mormon voice, himself, and he wanted my permission to do that to avoid accusations of plagiarism or copyright infringement.
If he actually publishes the thing, I'll have stumbled into the role of ghost writer for a Book of Mormon study guide. We even discussed a sales threshold where I'd get a percentage of the royalties.
The first draft is going to be the basis of his sermon this Sunday.
So, uh, Skyrider44 and Janadele, thank you. Apparently the research I've done to intelligently argue with the two of you has resulted in me having a strong enough foundation in Mormon apologetic thinking to start work as a Mormon apologist.![]()
Any chance he'll explain about the horses?
Well, THAT was an interesting email exchange.
This guy has contacted me to ask if he can use some of the content I've written on this forum in a study guide he's writing about Nephi's Bow. Apparently he was really taken with my interpretation and wants to expose other Mormons to it. To do this he needs to recast it as coming from a Mormon voice, himself, and he wanted my permission to do that to avoid accusations of plagiarism or copyright infringement.
If he actually publishes the thing, I'll have stumbled into the role of ghost writer for a Book of Mormon study guide. We even discussed a sales threshold where I'd get a percentage of the royalties.
The first draft is going to be the basis of his sermon this Sunday.
So, uh, Skyrider44 and Janadele, thank you. Apparently the research I've done to intelligently argue with the two of you has resulted in me having a strong enough foundation in Mormon apologetic thinking to start work as a Mormon apologist.![]()
Any chance he'll explain about the horses?
From the link:
Two posters on this forum(JREF/ISF) are claiming to be members of the LDS Church. I do not believe them. I have not created an account on the forums myself because I see no value in joining the debate there. It goes in circles, like arguing with a toddler. Skyrider44 and Janadele, whom many think are the same person with two different accounts, pretend to be there to answer questions about the LDS church and her tenants. When a questions is asked, they evade, refuse to answer or respond with insults. Instead of righteous anger at sin, they respond with egomaniac self importance. From their attitudes you would think they were claiming to have translated the golden plates themselves. The questions being asked by the atheists are good ones. They deserve answers. Skyrider44 and Janadele are not giving them. They are presenting the worst possible face of Christian faith. If they are not doing it intentionally, then Satan is manipulating fools to do it for him.
Looks like even the Mormons don't want Jan and Sky.
Have a scone for breakfast to honor the "True Scotsman" concept!From the link:
Two posters on this forum(JREF/ISF) are claiming to be members of the LDS Church. I do not believe them. I have not created an account on the forums myself because I see no value in joining the debate there. It goes in circles, like arguing with a toddler. Skyrider44 and Janadele, whom many think are the same person with two different accounts, pretend to be there to answer questions about the LDS church and her tenants. When a questions is asked, they evade, refuse to answer or respond with insults. Instead of righteous anger at sin, they respond with egomaniac self importance. From their attitudes you would think they were claiming to have translated the golden plates themselves. The questions being asked by the atheists are good ones. They deserve answers. Skyrider44 and Janadele are not giving them. They are presenting the worst possible face of Christian faith. If they are not doing it intentionally, then Satan is manipulating fools to do it for him.
Looks like even the Mormons don't want Jan and Sky.