skyrider44
Muse
- Joined
- Jan 1, 2013
- Messages
- 979
(emphasis added) Thank you for (finally) admitting to a place in the text where you have altered my post. Seeing you master the ellipsis is, in fact, a refreshing change. it almost gives one hope.
Ever hear the expression "grasping at straws"?
OTH, you immediately pull a "26:11" by resorting to distortion of my words. Again.
The highlighted term is your own, unique, redaction; it neither appears, nor can with any pretense of honesty be said to be implied by, what I posted. It is, however, the argument to which you are prepared to respond, so your need (independent of my words), makes it (in your mind) a proper insertion.
You seek refuge in semantical circumlocution (here and elsewhere).
What I did, in fact, say, is that an artist's own conviction that "divine inspiration" was operative in her creative process is not, in fact, evidence for the operation of "divine inspiration" (any more than the home crowd's conviction, at Notre Dame Stadium, that "touchdown Jesus" is on their side is evidence for what the final score will be).
Your "clarification" does nothing to change the intent of your statement. You're making a mountain out of a molehill.
I do know that there is no evidence, none, for the mere existence of a "divinity"; further, there is no evidence, none, for the operation of "divine inspiration" (to say nothing of the problem of from which of the multiple thousands of invented 'gods' the "divine afflatus" is to be taken as having issued).
That being the case, you are not as well informed as I thought you were.
I will forego your careless use of the term, "masterpiece".
And I will forego pointing out to you that periods go inside of quotation marks. Oh, wait, perhaps you're a Brit.
Consider the Teapot; consider the Unicorn. I can say, with confidence, that no evidence of the existence, upon Mars, of any form of life (more complex than bacteria) has even been advanced. Currently, Mars appears to be inhabited primarily by robots.
Indeed.
First, you mistake a hypothetical. Tsk, tsk. Then, you indulge in the fallacy of argumentum ad populum. Which is odd, as you, yourself, belong to a minority splinter sect of xianity. How does the number of people on board, or the cost of the calliope, repair your fallacia pompae?
You've obviously forgotten what Professor Strunk said or at least implied: Don't try to be impressive by inserting foreign terms into English compositions.
I wonder how many 'gods' capable of "divine inspiration" you, personally, believe there are. I wonder if you realize that the concept of multiple 'gods' is not an xian concept.
Feel free to ponder to your heart's content.
First, is it you, not I, who assumes there are (or must be) "many 'gods' " (see just above). I do not assume there is (or are) any 'god' (or 'gods'). (To clairfy: "not any" is less than "many"; in fact, it is less than "one".)
That certainly seems to be the case.
Second, if you are not qualified to discern the deeply Lutheran protestant themes in the theology expressed in Messiah, you must (at least) be able to encompass the idea that Handel was not a devotee of the mormon 'god', as mormonism had not yet been invented. I do not claim to "know" what 'god' Handel worshiped, but I can read.
Oops, you attribute to me a statement I did not make. Hmmm . . . I think that makes you guilty of the very thing of which you accuse me. Tsk, tsk.
You (once again) mistake a hypothetical. It is not, in fact, I who "asserts" that there are multiple 'gods'. The one making that implication is, in fact, you (see just above).
I stated the composition of what Mormons believe constitutes the godhood.
To clarify: what I have asserted is that an artist's claim, or belief, or assertion that "divine inspiration" was operative in her work is not (I repeat, not) evidence of the actual existence (or operation) of "divine inspiration".
So you would not allow eyewitness, first-person testimony in a court of law.
Oh, you haven't said that. OK, how is one to interpret what you write above?
Perhaps you should check your "650,000-word dictionary"; you appear to be misusing the simple English noun, "accusation".
Good advice, inasmuch as that very dictionary gives multiple definitions for "accusation." You might want to consult Fowler's Modern English Usage, 3rd edition, and give special attention to "accuse."
OTH, as long as you indulge yourself in your habit of basing your arguments upon cherry-picking, and quote-mining, and research-by-title, and special pleading, I will point it out.
I'm all a-tremble.
(I'm out of time. I'll respond to the balance of your post later.)
Last edited:

