• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Kid gets suspended after standing up to bully

in the real world, if you shoot someone in the head who punched you in the face, you go to jail.
 
Not really. I've done my fair share of bullying, and vice versa - none of what I did or had done to me would warrant a body slam that could potentially cripple me/them.

Continuing the previous theme: as an adult, if you walked up to someone and punched them in the face, then started showing off your boxing footwork while firing off more punches, you might get body slammed or worse, and nobody would fault the victim for retaliating.

He actually slammed the bully almost parallel to the ground rather than on his head. I think he may have broken or badly bruised his kneecap.
 
Hulk smash!

I too am torn over this, the little kid seemed to deserve it and will think twice before randomly punching people in the face from now on. The big fella did go overboard, but it's tough to control whats going on there.

Though, ofcourse we don't know the entire context of the incident either so...
 
Hulk smash!

I too am torn over this, the little kid seemed to deserve it and will think twice before randomly punching people in the face from now on. The big fella did go overboard, but it's tough to control whats going on there.

Though, ofcourse we don't know the entire context of the incident either so...
How do you figure the kid went overboard?
 
Not really. I've done my fair share of bullying, and vice versa - none of what I did or had done to me would warrant a body slam that could potentially cripple me/them.

I guess asking you where the line for 'revenge' is drawn would be a relevant question?

Did you ever go up to someone and repeatedly punch them in the face?

Yeah, a body slam is extreme and dangerous. So is punching someone in the face.

When I was in high school people tried to bully me all the time, and I had a terrible time of it. I was larger than everyone except for my best friend and it was very hard because of the HUGE double standard. Twice I was sucker punched right in the face, and if I had even returned a single punch either time, it would have likely been very bad for the attacker. Worse, the official response if I had reported either one would have been to give both of us the exact same punishment. Unofficially the larger guy always got punished worse.

Once in gym class I stole the ball from a basketball player, which upset him a lot. So he spear tackled me. Right in the middle of gym class. Did he get punished? Nope. Everyone asked why I did nothing in return to him. If I had, I would have been the one punished because I was far larger than him even though the teacher was watching the entire thing unfold.

For the record, my response was always to laugh at them because I found it very funny. That kind of stops any fight by the way.
 
Not really. I've done my fair share of bullying, and vice versa - none of what I did or had done to me would warrant a body slam that could potentially cripple me/them.

I guess asking you where the line for 'revenge' is drawn would be a relevant question?

I'm going to need you to explain how revenge enters into this first.
 
Is this even considered bullying?

I submit this:

Just about any adult that expects kids to 'defuse' situations and otherwise ignore bullies would press charges against any adult that walked up and punched them in the face, and that the punishment that the adult would face would be significant enough to keep them from trying such a thing again.

Why do they expect kids with much less refined coping skills to do more than they are willing to do?

As for the body slam, yes, a bit over the top, but not so different from what we suffered all of the time playing kick ball, falling of the jungle gym, etc.


^^This - if the video snippet is as it appears* that was assault so why should a kid have to put up with it just because we decide to call it "bullying"? If it was dealt as it would have been between adults i.e. the police involved they'd both probably be up in court and the court could decide if the big kid's response was reasonable or not. (Given the lack of a kid's ability to understand fully consequences I can't say that the big kid's response was disproportionate.)



*Expect the unreleased & unedited footage to show the big kid had been hitting the little kid for 20 minutes beforehand! :)
 
Last edited:
Punches to the face/head can potentially cripple people as well. I think the kid coped rather well given the situation.
 
Continuing the previous theme: as an adult, if you walked up to someone and punched them in the face, then started showing off your boxing footwork while firing off more punches, you might get body slammed or worse, and nobody would fault the victim for retaliating.

Oh, no doubt about it. I'm not saying his doing so was wrong, per se, just that it made me squeemish for such a young kid to get (potentially) seriously hurt.
 
Did you ever go up to someone and repeatedly punch them in the face?

Can't say I have, no.

Yeah, a body slam is extreme and dangerous. So is punching someone in the face.

Erm, I dunno. He was a little kid (and I've seen stouts fight pretty tough) but he didn't look built, or had a lot to throw around - I'm pretty sure the bigger kid could have shrugged it off.
 
I'm going to need you to explain how revenge enters into this first.

Yeah, horribly wrong word. Not sure why or how that came out. Will edit for accuracy.

Substitute revenge for retaliation.
 
Erm, I dunno. He was a little kid (and I've seen stouts fight pretty tough) but he didn't look built, or had a lot to throw around - I'm pretty sure the bigger kid could have shrugged it off.

He did shrug it off. Five times.
 
Good for the big kid. And for the little kids, if you smack someone clean in the face and they don't even flinch, maybe you haven't thought your plan all the way through.
 
Did no one learn anything from Ender's Game? The kid had to win, and win big, not only to end today's fight, but to end all the future fights.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom