• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

I have a problem with Harry Potter

Suspending disbelief is one thing. Enjoying Harry Potter would require to suspend good taste.

Not picking on you or anyone else on the writing, but I have enjoyed reading many of the classics of various literatures, Western and Eastern/Northern and Southern from the time I was 9 (primarily the myths and legends for starts, novels and plays in early teens, BOMC, SF Book Club, Mystery Guild and Literary Guild member by 10th grade - when I canceled and rejoined BOMC to get History of Civilization (10 or so volumes) (W and A Durant) for
$20.00 for (re)joining!!! Read the first seven plus other things over the summer between sophomore/jr. years. Now, my point, I also have read all the Paddington Bear books, most Caldecott and close to half the (I'll spell this wrong I am certain) Newbury award winners AND most recently I read and quite enjoyed the Harry Potter books. You (and many others) do not like them for various reasons and I do not argue your right to that, but the venom and low opinions many of you attach to them and those of us who have had no problem with them leads me to wonder why the hate.....
 
If you read it from the right perspective, that of upturning some of the standard conventions in the series and allowing Harry to have character growth, it is much better.

The Ministry isn't Good, rushed "save the day" plans can end horribly, Dumbledore doesn't love you


But I would have preferred it if Harry's character growth was smoother, and with a better established turning point.

My family made it on the news because we dressed up for the sixth book release. When the asked what I wanted in the new book, I said, "Make Harry less whiny." Needless to say my answer was edited out :p .

And yeah, that forgotten gift was a really, really odd detail. IIRC, Harry didn't even realise the implication.
 
I wouldn't class either of those as childrens' books. In particular, I never knew anyone under twenty to really enjoy Dodgson.

Doesn't sound like this one is giving you much comfort though. I read the first book, a year or so after it came out, but it left me unmotivated to read the later ones.

Do now:D Well enough that I loved Fantasia Mathmatica (a wonderful mosttly whimsical and Dodgsonal anthology that I first read in high school (and later got a copy) and I had read the Dodgson available and freely quoted parts of it (Jabberwokky/Snark hunting and Father William )at the drop of the Hatlo hat!! Suppose you could say it was the Monty Python of my youth!!
 
I'm listening to the audio book read by Jim Dale, and have gotten farther than I have before. I'm at the Quidditch match. I just cannot tolerate Umbridge; she reminds me very strongly of people I deal with.

A pinch of the finest strychnine should blot that stain on your day (or your escutcheon) right out. I understand it goes well with jam tarts and best clotted cream at High Tea.
 
For all I know you could be a fan of some authors that are actually worth a damn.

You are absolutely claiming that your taste is better than mine. I personally think that Rowling is worth a damn. I didn't lower my standards to somehow accept crap as entertainment, I don't think it's crap to begin with.

I judge fiction that I'm reading for pleasure by how much I enjoyed the experience of reading it. I'm sure I like some authors that you believe are worth a damn, and I am sure I like some that you believe are utter crap. My point is that it's a subjective thing and you are saying that somehow J.K. Rowling is objectively worthless.
 
I'm listening to the audio book read by Jim Dale, and have gotten farther than I have before. I'm at the Quidditch match. I just cannot tolerate Umbridge; she reminds me very strongly of people I deal with.

I had to deal with an Umbridge in my childhood: my grandmother who took in my sister and I after our father died and our mother ran away.
Delores is a cartoon version of that very dysfunctional woman, so I could laugh at the cartoon when I read the book.

I also had a bully coworker ("Athena") we all took great umbridge regarding. We encouraged her into counseling.
 
And yeah, that forgotten gift was a really, really odd detail. IIRC, Harry didn't even realise the implication.
It does serve as a bit of a Chekhov's Gun though, given how it becomes absolutely essential in Book 7. Although now I have to go read up on how it came into the hands of Aberforth Dumbledore.
 
It does serve as a bit of a Chekhov's Gun though, given how it becomes absolutely essential in Book 7. Although now I have to go read up on how it came into the hands of Aberforth Dumbledore.

That disreputable wizard whose name I've forgotten basically looted Sirius's mirror from his house along with some other stuff and Aberforth bought it.

IIRC there is something in the book when Harry is first given it - he gets the impression that it's something that will lead Sirius to come out of hiding if used, and he's determined not to risk that? - that tries to justify him putting it aside unopened, but it's very weak.

And no, it certainly doesn't ever seem to occur to him that if he'd opened it and used it he wouldn't have fallen for the trick which result in Sirius's death. Presumably that's the real reason Rowling has Harry ignore it - it's essential for the plot of later books so needs to be introduced, but would ruin the plot of this one if not ignored.

It's not the biggest plot hole in the books, though, that's definitely Barty Crouch Jr using the Triwizard Cup, of all things, as a portkey to get Harry out of Hogwarts and then having to spend a whole year ensuring he's the one who wins it, when he could have just used a book on his desk and asked Harry to hand it to him.
 
Well, Order Of the Phoenix is on tonight, and my DVR is set. I feel much better now.

You are absolutely claiming that your taste is better than mine. I personally think that Rowling is worth a damn. I didn't lower my standards to somehow accept crap as entertainment, I don't think it's crap to begin with.

I judge fiction that I'm reading for pleasure by how much I enjoyed the experience of reading it. I'm sure I like some authors that you believe are worth a damn, and I am sure I like some that you believe are utter crap. My point is that it's a subjective thing and you are saying that somehow J.K. Rowling is objectively worthless.

Can't we all just get along?

It's the not-really-for-kids part that's apparently bothersome. :(

I've warned my niece who's reading all the books to her oldest son, now 8 years old, that we might want to wait on OotP.
 
I wouldn't class either of those as childrens' books. In particular, I never knew anyone under twenty to really enjoy Dodgson.

Doesn't sound like this one is giving you much comfort though. I read the first book, a year or so after it came out, but it left me unmotivated to read the later ones.

I guess I was all wrong when my sister gave me The Complete Works of Lewis Carroll when I turned 14 and I read it cover to cover, including working out all the sillygisms.

Incidentally, it did not contain the complete works of Lewis Carroll.
 
Well, Order Of the Phoenix is on tonight, and my DVR is set. I feel much better now.

The book is better. I think that's true of all Harry Potter books. Please don't misunderstand me, I enjoyed all the films but I preferred the books. To be fair, the film is easier to get through.

In an earlier post, I said I wouldn't spoil any surprises for anyone. I'm sticking to that, but I feel I should warn you - the books that follow don't get any 'easier' to read. It's hard going from here on out. The problem, and reason I'm warning you, is this - the films leave a lot out. Watching them first may ruin the books for you. Whatever you decide, enjoy!
 
But, in the last book is one of my favorite ever perfect "Mess with good people you die"
type lines. The book's version is practically perfect in every way. The movie script/set up makes it much less so.
 
But, in the last book is one of my favorite ever perfect "Mess with good people you die"
type lines. The book's version is practically perfect in every way. The movie script/set up makes it much less so.

I assume that you are referring to Mrs. Weasley's line
 
But, in the last book is one of my favorite ever perfect "Mess with good people you die"
type lines. The book's version is practically perfect in every way. The movie script/set up makes it much less so.

The movies could have been better if they had decided "screw it, lets use Mathew Lewis'(Neville's) size."
 
Oh, I disagree. Umbridge was absolutely intrinsically evil.

Note how quickly she jumped into the role of the Anti-Muggle part of the new ministry. Had no trouble at all adapting to the anti-muggle position, and completely enjoyed tormenting muggle-borns at the hearings.

She had that evil in her the whole time. It was the overthrow of the ministry where she was able to unleash it.
Think Ilsa Koch.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom