• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

I Am Soul

…or interpretation (c) there was an experience without the sensation of self being present (the process was excluded from the sensory map, for some reason). Whether one calls that a state of non-duality in the sense that it’s the baseline experience of reality is a matter of preference I think.

It sounds to me like someone trying to convey a feeling or perception using the best tools available--language and metaphor.

I have felt similarly... just sort of "untethered" to my body... "merged" with everything...

It does feel cool. It feels like you have great clarity or understanding... and that's a crappy way to convey it at best. I suspect it's what people feel on certain drugs or when they use the Persinger Helmet. Temporal Seizures can cause similar experiences.
 
It does feel cool. It feels like you have great clarity or understanding... and that's a crappy way to convey it at best. I suspect it's what people feel on certain drugs or when they use the Persinger Helmet. Temporal Seizures can cause similar experiences.

Yes, at least LSD seems to increase activity in the prefrontal, parietal and temporal regions – but surprisingly not so much in the visual cortex, even though experiences themselves are often highly visual. Here’s a short writing by Sue Blackmore “Take a trip to ease your final journey.”
 
Yes, at least LSD seems to increase activity in the prefrontal, parietal and temporal regions – but surprisingly not so much in the visual cortex, even though experiences themselves are often highly visual. Here’s a short writing by Sue Blackmore “Take a trip to ease your final journey.”


I would wish that in my final hours I could have access to this substance, a substance I had a brief encounter with many years ago. I can certainly think of worse ways to "go" -- like my wife's father, who died on our NYE (I am in Australia). He was a man who learned of his lung cancer in 2004, yet chose not to seek treatment, for reasons we will never fathom. He died fairly miserably, not just for himself, but for all of those around him. He was pitiable. I just hope that when my time comes I have the wherewithal to demand the drugs of my choice, taken in surroundings of my choice, and with people I choose to be with. We speak of "quality of life," so I think there is such a thing as quality of death. Perhaps that is a subject worthy of its own thread.


M.
 
Articulett- you'll have to forgive Maatorc. Judging by his screen name and by his writings, it would appear that he's read too many books by Drunvalo and Gurdjieff and can't seem to understand that they're works of fiction. And, because he considers himself the keeper of the flame, he has to write like them too.

Although, like millions, I know about Gurdjief, you are not even beginning to be right about what I write.
 
Shes in LOVE~!


The real problem with this thread is it is beginning to sound like in-articulett sounds: No wonder it is in such a mess! She hates everyone under the guise of reason and friendship with those she sucks up to get agreement with her trivial ramblings.


So articulett. You love big Tom and you hate all of us reasonable people. You can be dang sure you won't be getting that beer I promised you.

:p
 
So articulett. You love big Tom and you hate all of us reasonable people. You can be dang sure you won't be getting that beer I promised you.

:p

Damn, those prophets... you can't keep a thing from their prying third eyes
 
Originally Posted by Navigator
Not if I was simply TOLD. If I was shown, then I would have to adjust my beliefs.

Tricky - You can't envision anyone else's arguments being more convincing than your own? Well, that is a problem and, I'd have to say, a pity.

Its all about interpretation and communication really isn't it.

You see to me, Navigator is saying there is a great difference between being TOLD and being SHOWN :D and I agree.
 
Its all about interpretation and communication really isn't it.

You see to me, Navigator is saying there is a great difference between being TOLD and being SHOWN :D and I agree.
Of course, but being an internet forum, there is little more that one can do besides tell. Even providing links to studies of OBEs and NDEs won't do much, because in the "internet of a trillion lies", you can find links that support almost any contention.

All we can do here is provide rationality and logic. I have seen them work before. It's a beautiful thing.
 
Although, like millions, I know about Gurdjief, you are not even beginning to be right about what I write.

Well, let's see: smug, condescending, arrogant, knows all the answers, but they're hidden secrets that have to be unlocked if you open your mind and follow me. No, nothing like what you write. Sorry, my mistake.
 
I'd still like to know how a disembodied soul can see, hear and feel and why we even need eyes, ears or nerve endings.

Any thoughts?
 
I'd still like to know how a disembodied soul can see, hear and feel and why we even need eyes, ears or nerve endings.

Any thoughts?
Oh oh it's magic
When I see you
Oh oh it's magic
When I hear you
You know it's true

Paul

:) :) :)

A butchered Cars' song.
 
…or interpretation (c) there was an experience without the sensation of self being present (the process was excluded from the sensory map, for some reason). Whether one calls that a state of non-duality in the sense that it’s the baseline experience of reality is a matter of preference I think.

Yes, good point. Though personally I figure that if someone does finally locate a neurobiological route to switch off the sense of selfhood it will be found to be an inhibitory pathway.

Nick
 
you'll have to forgive Maatorc. Judging by his screen name and by his writings, it would appear that he's read too many books by Drunvalo and Gurdjieff and can't seem to understand that they're works of fiction. And, because he considers himself the keeper of the flame, he has to write like them too.

Oh, come on! Have you actually read a Gurdjieff book? I mean, Maatorc doesn't have sentences with 400 words in them for a start.

I tried to read Beelzebub's Tales to his Grandson once, it's about 1000 pages long...I gave up after the first paragraph. Handy doorstop though. The publisher of one Gurdjieff book famously said he would only cut the pages up to page 100. The remaining 1000 odd pages he left uncut. He said that if anyone read up to there they could send him the book and he would cut the remaining. No one ever did.

Nick
 
I mention Tom Cruise because he is clearly doing the Messiah Complex thing in his clip... he really really believes his "truth" but he conveys nothing. I wish... oh how I wish... the people I see as similar would explain to me why they see themselves as different? I want to hear their opinions of the tape, so I can show them THAT is how they are coming across to me-- that is why their conversations are so hopeless.

I am presuming most people understood this. I'm presuming the ones who didn't have some sort of cognitive dissonance going on where they are thinking that Tom Cruise sounds crazy... but not realizing how similar they sound to him.

At least to me they do. And they seem to generate the same sorts of responses. Who can have dialogue with a self-appointed messiah who "knows" his own "personal truths" --and no amount of evidence can deprogram him.

Wow... they counted the number of times I mentioned him... and didn't absorb a clue at all. Interesting.

Only 2 this time. Are you stepping off, like with methadone?

Nick
 
Oh, come on! Have you actually read a Gurdjieff book? I mean, Maatorc doesn't have sentences with 400 words in them for a start.

I tried to read Beelzebub's Tales to his Grandson once, it's about 1000 pages long...I gave up after the first paragraph. Handy doorstop though. The publisher of one Gurdjieff book famously said he would only cut the pages up to page 100. The remaining 1000 odd pages he left uncut. He said that if anyone read up to there they could send him the book and he would cut the remaining. No one ever did.

Nick

Not so much stylistically as content (re: his promoting "the work" elsewhere) and his tone and rhetoric, as noted in my previous post.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom