• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

How much would vegetarianism benefit humanity?

I'm allergic to soy and wheat. Write down a weekly menu for me, please.

If you're allergic to soy, there are plenty of other sources of protein - beans, pulses, seitan, nuts. Wheat doesn't contain much of nutritional value that's easily available elsewhere. Any half-decent vegan cookbook will give you exactly what you're looking for.
 
If you're allergic to soy, there are plenty of other sources of protein - beans, pulses, seitan, nuts. Wheat doesn't contain much of nutritional value that's easily available elsewhere. Any half-decent vegan cookbook will give you exactly what you're looking for.

Seitan is pure wheat gluten, which is the reason I can't eat wheat, so a tiny bit of contradiction there, but the rest is ok.

Can you put down a sensible menu or not?

McHrozni
 
If this is so simple, why do so many vegans suffer from poor nutrition? It's a widespread problem among them. Do so many people do such poor research?

Where's your evidence that "so many vegans suffer from poor nutrition"? Studies that have examined the health of vegans and vegetarians compared to the general population show no such thing.

I'm sure many omnivores also suffer from poor nutrition. As I said, though, that has no bearing on the healthiness or otherwise of a balanced omnivorous diet. The fact is that you can easily obtain all nutrients you need from plants. It's not difficult. Read one book on vegan nutrition and you're essentially good to go.
 
Seitan is pure wheat gluten, which is the reason I can't eat wheat, so a tiny bit of contradiction there, but the rest is ok.

Can you put down a sensible menu or not?

McHrozni

I haven't got the time of the inclination to make you a whole week menu. Buy a vegan cookbook or two; you'll easily have enough recipes for a week's menu.
 
This reminds me of a song:

I think fur is a crime, I protest all the time
you should see all my bumper stickers
That Firestorm song sure gets me singing along
My righteousness never flickers
I think P.E.T.A. is swell and vivisectionists go to hell
I live to fight the man
And if there is ever a cause with no dietary laws
I'll be the first to take a stand

The animals, I see their pain with ease
But don't expect me to give up pizza with cheese
The animals, I see their pain with ease
But don't expect me to eat a pizza without cheese

I know I could be the best vegan the world's seen
It's such a shame my doctor says I can't because I need the protein
What's right or what's wrong is not a tough decision
But animal torture is a part of my new religion
Hey, you know that I am down with what it's about
Did I happen to mention I need the strength to work out?
Because I am building up muscle, I'm a growing boy
Such a cruel twist of fate, I'm allergic to soy

Excuses, excuses, are not for me!
I've wised up, but these leather shoes were free
These shoes were free
 
I haven't got the time of the inclination to make you a whole week menu. Buy a vegan cookbook or two; you'll easily have enough recipes for a week's menu.

I'll take that as a "no", then.

I have no inclination to consider a vegan diet for any reason, especially as it would evidently be difficult to follow.

McHrozni
 
I'll take that as a "no", then.

I have no inclination to consider a vegan diet for any reason, especially as it would evidently be difficult to follow.

McHrozni

Hah!

This reminds me of CFLarsen claiming that he's right because I do not devote 20 minutes to writing an article for a Skeptical Magazine.

McHrozni, please make me a menu of a nutritionally viable omnivorous plan for a month.

Do this in 12 Point Font, Times New Roman, double spaced.

No copy/pasting please. Plagiarism is grounds for expulsion.
 
Last edited:
A 1999 meta-study of five studies comparing vegetarian and non-vegetarian mortality rates in western countries found the mortality rate due to ischemic heart disease 26% lower among vegans compared to regular meat eaters, but 34% lower among ovolactovegetarians and those who ate fish but no other meat. No significant difference in mortality was found from other causes. A 2003 review of three studies comparing mortality rates among British vegetarians and non-vegetarians found only a nonsignificant reduction in mortality from ischemic heart disease, but noted that the findings were compatible with the significant reduction found in the 1999 review.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veganism#Health
 
Where's your evidence that "so many vegans suffer from poor nutrition"? Studies that have examined the health of vegans and vegetarians compared to the general population show no such thing.

Maybe it could be just the ones I know and it is all a coincidence.

I'm sure many omnivores also suffer from poor nutrition. As I said, though, that has no bearing on the healthiness or otherwise of a balanced omnivorous diet. The fact is that you can easily obtain all nutrients you need from plants. It's not difficult. Read one book on vegan nutrition and you're essentially good to go.

Yet it is still incredibly difficult for you to get me a whoping total of 7 main meals plus a few others. You've already spent more time arguing this point than you should writing it down.

McHrozni
 
I'll take that as a "no", then.

I have no inclination to consider a vegan diet for any reason, especially as it would evidently be difficult to follow.

McHrozni

You think that because I'm not going to plan your meals for a week that veganism is difficult? Seriously?

Here's a great vegan recipe site: http://www.theppk.com/ Pick 7 dinners, have salads or sandwiches for lunch (include hummus), and have museli, non-dairy milk of choice and a banana for breakfast. Rotate those 7 dinners with regularity over a month, swapping in and out different veg (much as you would do anyway).

It's not hard. It really isn't.
 
Maybe it could be just the ones I know and it is all a coincidence.
So you have nothing outside of anecdotal evidence.

You do realize that this is a skeptic's forum, don't you? "I know a guy, and he's not healthy" is not considered a good argument here.

Yet it is still incredibly difficult for you to get me a whoping total of 7 main meals plus a few others. You've already spent more time arguing this point than you should writing it down.

McHrozni

You haven't written up my omnivorous menu for the month yet; just a simple 30 days of meals!

Obviously, this means that omnivorism is too difficult to manage. I give up.
 
Last edited:
Hah!

This reminds me of CFLarsen claiming that he's right because I do not devote 20 minutes to writing an article for a Skeptical Magazine.

McHrozni, please make me a menu of a nutritionally viable omnivorous plan for a month.

Do this in 12 Point Font, Times New Roman, double spaced.

No copy/pasting please. Plagiarism is grounds for expulsion.

Here:
http://dietbites.com/Free-Diet-Menus/simple-menus.html
I didn't copy-paste the URL, but retyped it. Considering how specific your instructions were, you probably deliberately left that option open.

You'll have to do the 12 point font TNR and double spacing yourself, since I can't send you this in a file.

In regards to the plagiarism, since I didn't claim to be an author of the work, I didn't plagiarise anything.

McHrozni
 
Maybe it could be just the ones I know and it is all a coincidence.

Confirmation bias, almost certainly. The cohort studies have been done - vegans and veggies have lower than average amounts of some things and higher than average amounts of others, but no significant differences in mortality or even general health. Most studies that do show differences seem to indicate, actually, that vegetarianism or veganism is actually slightly healthier. Unless you have an evidence to the contrary, of course?

Yet it is still incredibly difficult for you to get me a whoping total of 7 main meals plus a few others. You've already spent more time arguing this point than you should writing it down.

Read a book. Sheesh. For all I know, I'll plan you a menu and you'll tell me you don't like spinach, or prefer spicy food, and you'll use that as yet another example of why you can't possibly go vegan.

ThePPK.com has hundreds of recipies. Pick some that sound tasty. Don't eat the same one every day.Include regular portions of green leafy stuff. It's not hard.
 
Here's a great vegan recipe site: http://www.theppk.com/ Pick 7 dinners, have salads or sandwiches for lunch (include hummus), and have museli, non-dairy milk of choice and a banana for breakfast. Rotate those 7 dinners with regularity over a month, swapping in and out different veg (much as you would do anyway).

It's not hard. It really isn't.

Two of the five suggestions fall out because of the two minor restrictions that I set.

McHrozni
 
Here:
http://dietbites.com/Free-Diet-Menus/simple-menus.html
I didn't copy-paste the URL, but retyped it. Considering how specific your instructions were, you probably deliberately left that option open.

You'll have to do the 12 point font TNR and double spacing yourself, since I can't send you this in a file.

In regards to the plagiarism, since I didn't claim to be an author of the work, I didn't plagiarise anything.

McHrozni
So basically, you're not willing to write out the menu for me.

Then obviously, omnivorism is too difficult. I give up.
 
Confirmation bias, almost certainly.

Probably. But then again, what if all omnivores in a study spend the same amount of time and effort to ensure they eat propertly as vegetarians and vegans do. Has such a study been done and if so, what were the results?

McHrozni
 
So basically, you're not willing to write out the menu for me.

Then obviously, omnivorism is too difficult. I give up.

Your diet is entirely your choice. But you didn't say anything about writing out a menu, but a viable plan for a month. I provided more than that.

McHrozni
 
Your diet is entirely your choice. But you didn't say anything about writing out a menu, but a viable plan for a month. I provided more than that.

McHrozni

Yet you claimed that someone not writing out a plan for you is evidence that veganism is too hard.

Really, can the dishonesty increase any more?

By the way, the "double spaced, 12 point font, plagiarism" bit had nothing to do with a "gotcha". It was called "mockery".

Here, since you obviously need references:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/mockery
 
Last edited:

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom