Yes, we've heard that story before, but you made the mistake of telling us how you were hit by a car (or was it cars?) and have since then given up on bicycling.By "the poor" do you mean the 10%?
Around here, people don't ride bikes because they don't want to. Despite hundreds of kilometers of AAA bike lanes being built for them. Don't get me wrong here, I quite enjoy having these nice new bike lanes all to myself and, to be honest, sometimes I even get a little miffed when I see someone else riding on MY road.
Why Canadians Can't Bike in the Winter (but Finnish people can) (Not Just Bikes, Jan 25, 2021 – 15:13 min.)
When talking about bicycle infrastructure in Canada, the number one excuse I hear is "winter." Many Canadians see the cold and snow as a fundamental barrier to year round cycling. But one city, Oulu in Finland, with winter weather worse than most Canadian cities, shows that winter cycling has nothing to do with the weather, and everything to do with safe cycling infrastructure.
I guess I need to post this again:
And with electric cars being "96.3% of all new car purchases," as mentioned in post 2,304, the air is only getting fresher.Copenhagen has taken bicycle commuting to a whole new level (Los Angeles Times, Aug 8, 2019)
Soren Jensen sold his car six years ago and joined the rivers of rolling humanity who bicycle through Copenhagen every day. He quickly lost about 50 pounds on his hour-a-day bike commutes, while saving time and a small fortune.
“I had a Mercedes but it sat in the garage all the time because it was so much easier to get everywhere by bike,” said Jensen, a 51-year-old who works in a downtown investment bank. He got rid of the car, which was costing him about $500 a month, after moving from the suburbs to the city and finding that he didn’t need it anymore.
“I don’t miss it at all,” the 6-foot-7 Jensen added before setting off on the ride home on a warm summer evening. He said he’d been looking forward to it all afternoon. “The hour on the bike is time I don’t have to spend in a gym. I got healthier and look forward every day to all that fresh air. Life’s good.”
What makes Copenhagen the world’s most bicycle friendly capital? (VisitCopenhagen, April 2020)
(As I've mentioned before, it's possible that Amsterdam is better. It's been a long time since I was there. According to Not Just Bikes, it is.)
And as for stupid excuses (especially Canadian ones) for not riding a bike and/or not creating bike-friendly infrastructure, there's another Not Just Bikes video from last year:
I'm so Sick of this Lazy Excuse (for bad cities) (Oct 12, 2025 – 29:42 min.)
13:15--> What’s often misunderstood is how the infrastructure, or lack thereof, also influences people’s travel behaviours in bad weather.
For example, this paper studied the effect of weather on travel patterns in Toronto. Unsurprisingly they found a drop in cycling during cold and rainy weather, but they also found confusing differences by age and gender.
Having lived several years in both cities, I can confidently say that I have no problems riding a bicycle in dark, rainy weather in Amsterdam, but I will always avoid riding a bicycle in the exact same weather in Toronto.
In Amsterdam, it’s always safe to ride a bicycle. There are protected bicycle lanes on all major roads, most neighbourhoods have traffic calming, and the routes taken by cars and bicycles have been separated, so there are far fewer interactions between cars and bicycles in general.
Last edited:

