This is Angie, the peregrine at radical raptors.
[qimg]http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af92/skwinty/Radical%20Raptors/2012_07_26_IMG_1972.jpg[/qimg]
Common Kestrel. Falco tinnunculus
I stand corrected.
I was thinking of this bird.
The tail feathers are quite similar.
I don't have my books with me and the fact that you are at a raptor project in Plett increases, not decreases possible IDs, but to my eyes that looks more like a Lanner Falcon Falco biarmicus . (you will notice the lack of streaking on teh breast
And the one below looks like a male Lesser Kestrel, Falco naumanni not a Rock (common) Kestrel. (blue wing feathers, no black streaking on bakc)
I have some stunning shots of Aquila Verreauxii if you would like to see them.
Here are some pics taken yesterday.
I think it's a red kite and it was exhibiting the exact behaviour that Shrike describes.
<snip>where was this taken? More specifically, was it near or over water, especially reedbeds?


There is a possibility that the tortoise was killed by the council tractor mower that cuts the grass around the wetland reserve.
However, after some research, it appears that crows do indeed prey on tortoises.