• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Forum Birdwatching 2012

This is Angie, the peregrine at radical raptors.
2012_07_26_IMG_1972.jpg
 
I stand corrected.:)

I was thinking of this bird.

The tail feathers are quite similar.

2012_07_26_IMG_2118.jpg


Here is another shot of the Kestral
2012_07_26_IMG_1947.jpg
 
Last edited:
Common Kestrel. Falco tinnunculus

You are correct. Kinda.

[pedant] Its a Rock Kestrel, which many authorities recognise as a seperate species F. Rupicolis. [/pedant off]

If anyone has greater knowledge of bird taxonomy now would be a good time to chip in...
 
I stand corrected.:)

I was thinking of this bird.

The tail feathers are quite similar.

I don't have my books with me and the fact that you are at a raptor project in Plett increases, not decreases possible IDs, but to my eyes that looks more like a Lanner Falcon Falco biarmicus . (you will notice the lack of streaking on teh breast

And the one below looks like a male Lesser Kestrel, Falco naumanni not a Rock (common) Kestrel. (blue wing feathers, no black streaking on bakc)
 
I don't have my books with me and the fact that you are at a raptor project in Plett increases, not decreases possible IDs, but to my eyes that looks more like a Lanner Falcon Falco biarmicus . (you will notice the lack of streaking on teh breast

And the one below looks like a male Lesser Kestrel, Falco naumanni not a Rock (common) Kestrel. (blue wing feathers, no black streaking on bakc)

Indeed, I am no expert in bird identification and I visited Radical Raptors a few months ago.

I am not associated with Radical Raptors in any way other than sharing a love for birds.

I have some stunning shots of Aquila Verreauxii if you would like to see them.
 
I have some stunning shots of Aquila Verreauxii if you would like to see them.

If you have pictures of Verreaux's (Black) Eagles then why are you posting pictures of little falcons that would duck for cover when a crow flies overhead?:D
 
Here are some pics taken yesterday.

I think it's a red kite and it was exhibiting the exact behaviour that Shrike describes.

Not picking on you Skwinty but I am an avid birder and well-versed in birds in my area (south-western corner of South Africa) and you post all these pretty pictures without identifying the birds! This one could be a one of a number of species - where was this taken? More specifically, was it near or over water, especially reedbeds?
 
Okay, I don't have a picture, and it isn't a particularly unusual bird, but I thought it was pretty nifty: as I was standing behind my office building at the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire today, a bald eagle flew by very low. Low enough that a dog in a neighboring yard barked cheerfully at it. I'd never seen one so close before. I imagine it may have been on its way to to have a bit of a soar over the river that runs through campus.
 
African Fish Eagle Haliaeetus Vocifer.
Photographed last weekend over my house.

The eagle was at altitude so quite a severe crop on the picture.

4275.jpg


and Blach Eagle Aquila Verreauxii

2012_07_26_IMG_2168.jpg
 
No pics but we had some feathered company around the house today. The usual Black-capped Chickadees were around the feeder and several Common Redpolls were hanging around, waiting their turn. "Our" Steller's Jay came by (after being absent for some weeks) to hit us up for some peanuts...and "our" squirrel was kind enough to share. A Black-billed Magpie came by to case the joint but I don't think he scored any peanuts.
 
Yesterday I saw a crow drop something on my roof.

I went to investigate after chasing the crow away as it tried to retrieve its cargo.

This is what I found.
IMG-20121103-00982.jpg


I had no idea that crows preyed on tortoises.
 
There is a possibility that the tortoise was killed by the council tractor mower that cuts the grass around the wetland reserve.

However, after some research, it appears that crows do indeed prey on tortoises.

Crows are intelligent and opportunistic birds and the Pied Crow Corvus albus is no exception. The crow probably found part of the corpse and carried it away for a snack (as macdoc said) - the legs look rather dessicated. It appears to be a young adult Angulate Tortoise Chersina angulata deposited on your roof. At several kgs, this would be a bit much for a Pied Crow (max about 700 grams) to catch, let alone carry!

I can't confirm but I would imagine that a Pied Crow could catch - and carry - a Parrotbeaked Tortoise Homopus areolatus which weigh a maximum of 300 grams.

The Verreaux's eagle pic is much more impressive than the muscled doves you posted earlier! :D
 
Given the broken bones I'd say it was a a steal or tractor kill that the crow snagged.

••••

Thought you might get a kick out of this one.

Screenshot2012-07-04atJul42012111700PM.jpg


was watching either a suitor or a youngster trying to get the swallow on the right to come out a play and was getting the cold shoulder.

The bird on the left would cavort and loop and then come back to the wire and clearly try and get the other to join in.
Watched for about 10 min.
Shooting into the light so the sky completely washed out but I liked the photo. Barn swallows in fall plumage.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom