• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Ed Forum birdwatching 2008

Skye, Scotland 05/04/08

Northern Wheatear Oenanthe oenanthe
Rock Pipit Anthus petrosus
Meadow Pipit Anthus pratensis
Red-throated Diver Gavia stellata
Common Eider Somateria mollissima
 
Two seabirds spotted 10 April just off the coast of Lana'i.

Wedge-tailed shearwater - Puffinus pacificus
Brown Booby - Sula leucogaster

Boobies are fairly rare out here, but there is one that is regularly spotted sitting on the navigation buoys between Maui and Lana'i. This one was on the harbor buoy going into Manele boat harbor on Lana'i. I wish I had a camera out when we went past him. :(
 
I saw the first Northern Harrier (circus cyaneus) of the season today. Spotted what looked like a peregrine falcon or a merlin the other day too, but since I didn't get a really good look, and don't have much spotting experience with falcons, I can't count it. It was definitely not one of our more common raptors, though.
 
Last edited:
I thought the thread posters might be interested in this live webcam which is in Derby, UK where I live. It's a peregrine falcon nesting on 4 eggs on Derby cathedral. Last year they raised two chicks from 4 eggs and this year 4 more eggs have been laid. Beautiful bird.
 
Well, in California the swallows return to the church of San Juan Capistrano. In San Antonio, they return to the Central Library parking garage: barn swallow, Hirundo rustica.

I love these little guys: "OK, you took away my barns and messed up my cliffs, so I'll show you. I'll nest under your bridges and in your parking garages."

And the babies are so cute! They have such grouchy little faces. I know it's just a trick of the shape of their mouths and eyebrows, but looking up to see four baby barn swallows scowling down at me never fails to make me laugh and brighten my day.

...all seven Swedish dabbling ducks...

"Dabbling duck" is a great name for a bird. "Seven Swedish dabbling ducks" ought to be a verse in "The Twelve Days of Christmas".
 
At Loch of the Lowes today.
Osprey - Pandion haliaetus
Greylag goose - Anser anser
Sand martin - Riparia riparia
Slavonian grebe - Podiceps auritus
 
I finally got to do some birdwatching of my own! I believe I may have about twenty species to add to the Swedish list, of which several are new to the list as such. But I'll have to compile it first... I'll post a list of new additions at the latest tomorrow, and then I'll send the file to Eric.
 
Hopefully I can get in a few new ones for the UK and England before Kotatsu shoots the list to me.

13th April, Northamptonshire, UK

Little Grebe Tachybaptus ruficollis
Common Buzzard Buteo buteo
Grey Partridge Perdix perdix
Sky Lark Alauda arvensis
Barn Swallow Hirundo rustica
Meadow Pipit Anthus pratensis
Nightingale Luscinia megarhynchos
Song Thrush Turdus philomelos
Mistle Thrush Turdus viscivorus
Spotted Flycatcher Muscicapa striata
Nuthatch Sitta europaea
Treecreeper Certhia familiaris
Rook Corvus frugilegus
Tree Sparrow Passer montanus
Brambling Fringilla montifringilla
Bullfinch Pyrrhula pyrrhula
 
Ok, I will list only the new additions to the Swedish list here (some of which are new to the list as such), as I apparently saw about 85 species this weekend. Not bad for one day of sleet and one day of just walking around on a moor!

New Swedish species:
Dunnock Prunella modularis (1)
Linnet Carduelis cannabina (2)
Curlew Numenius arquata (2)
Osprey Pandion haliaeetus (2)
Marsh Harrier Circus aeruginosus (2)
White-tailed Eagle Haliaeëtus albicilla (2)
Red-necked Grebe Podiceps grisagena (2)
Great Crested Grebe Podiceps cristatus (2)
Shoveller Anas clypteata (2)
Gadwall Anas strepera (2)
Pintail Anas acuta (2)
Widgeon Anas penelope (2)
White-fronted Goose Anser albifrons (2)
Red Crossbill Loxia curvirostra (3)
Crested Tit Baeolophus cristatus (3)
Golden Plover Pluvialis apricaria (3)
Brambling Fringilla montifringilla (4)

Locations:
(1) Gamla Råslätt, Jönköping, Smalandia 11/4
(2) Hornborgasjön, Falköping, Vestrogothis 12/4
(3) Dumme mosse, Jönköping, Smalandia 13/4
(4) Gamla Råslätt, Jönköping, Smalandia 13/4

I will add everything as soon as I have posted this, and then send everything to Eric.
 
Last edited:
Whether I'm noticing because of this thread or not, but there have been a number of early sightings this year. Swallows and Nightingales spring to mind. The Nightingale in London was a month early, As the Flycatcher appears to be.

As such, I have added it to the list, but would really like some verification. How did you rule out similar species (I can't come up with any good ones at the moment, though. Female/young siskin?)

Everything else has been added, and I've sent the file to Eric.
 
As such, I have added it to the list, but would really like some verification. How did you rule out similar species (I can't come up with any good ones at the moment, though. Female/young siskin?)
Ah, I've got back-up on this one - 3 other sets of eyes, 1 pair being another birder, though. We first spotted the bird because it was hawking insects from a perch and managed to get 2 pairs of bins on it. We then checked our our first assumptions and alteratives in field guide(s) back at her place. The large eye and edges to the wing feathers are pretty diagnostic and the bill ruled out Siskiny-like birds. Other options might have been Tree Pipit or indeed a jubenile Robin. She also gets Redstarts up there which would perhaps be another confuser. In fact that was what we started with when IDing the Nightingale.

Distribution and timing of migration from the BTO's Migrant watch has a number of mid-April sightings near the north border of Cambridgeshire with Northamptonshire. Granted their map records only go up to 2004.
Everything else has been added, and I've sent the file to Eric.
I will certainly try to get onto them tonight (but it was a long walk yesterday!) Tomorrow at worst.
 
Oops, I forgot to add Hokulele's seabirds, and the sightings of Elizabeth I, mummymonkey, bruto, and sphenisc above. That's what happens when you assume that every message you post starts with "I've added these", and just start adding after that... bleh... well, They ahve been added now, and will be on the list page with the next update.

Also, just to be clear, I did not intend to sound so patronising in my last post, which, to me, suggests that I believe Eric to be unable to see the difference between a flycatcher and a siskin. However, as per his own admission, it is usually a very late arrival, so some more information about the sighting would be appreciated.
 
Ah, I've got back-up on this one - 3 other sets of eyes, 1 pair being another birder, though. We first spotted the bird because it was hawking insects from a perch and managed to get 2 pairs of bins on it. We then checked our our first assumptions and alteratives in field guide(s) back at her place. The large eye and edges to the wing feathers are pretty diagnostic and the bill ruled out Siskiny-like birds. Other options might have been Tree Pipit or indeed a jubenile Robin. She also gets Redstarts up there which would perhaps be another confuser. In fact that was what we started with when IDing the Nightingale.

Distribution and timing of migration from the BTO's Migrant watch has a number of mid-April sightings near the north border of Cambridgeshire with Northamptonshire. Granted their map records only go up to 2004.

What about Muscicapa dauurica or M. sibirica, then?:D They can be very tricky in the field.


I will certainly try to get onto them tonight (but it was a long walk yesterday!) Tomorrow at worst.

Great, the I can mail you another version which includes the update I just cross-posted with you.
 
Just a general observation, that a lot of birds seem to have been early this year, and some migrants, it seems, never left. I saw ducks and robins and even an osprey out of season this winter, the bluebirds were early, and so were others, I think, though I haven't always paid great attention to dates. The swallows seem to be staying on schedule, but they're pretty strict.
 
What about Muscicapa dauurica or M. sibirica, then?:D They can be very tricky in the field.
Very tricky indeed. My Larousse doesn't even list these rarities for Britain.
Great, the I can mail you another version which includes the update I just cross-posted with you.
Updated just now. Please PM me on any screwed up links.
Also note two additions to the gallery, Moorhen and chick and a very pixelated Cyprus Pied Wheatear.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom