...all seven Swedish dabbling ducks...
Bulverde, Texas, April 13: American Robin, Turdus migratorius
Whether I'm noticing because of this thread or not, but there have been a number of early sightings this year. Swallows and Nightingales spring to mind. The Nightingale in London was a month early, As the Flycatcher appears to be.That Spotted Flycatcher is mega early.
Whether I'm noticing because of this thread or not, but there have been a number of early sightings this year. Swallows and Nightingales spring to mind. The Nightingale in London was a month early, As the Flycatcher appears to be.
Ah, I've got back-up on this one - 3 other sets of eyes, 1 pair being another birder, though. We first spotted the bird because it was hawking insects from a perch and managed to get 2 pairs of bins on it. We then checked our our first assumptions and alteratives in field guide(s) back at her place. The large eye and edges to the wing feathers are pretty diagnostic and the bill ruled out Siskiny-like birds. Other options might have been Tree Pipit or indeed a jubenile Robin. She also gets Redstarts up there which would perhaps be another confuser. In fact that was what we started with when IDing the Nightingale.As such, I have added it to the list, but would really like some verification. How did you rule out similar species (I can't come up with any good ones at the moment, though. Female/young siskin?)
I will certainly try to get onto them tonight (but it was a long walk yesterday!) Tomorrow at worst.Everything else has been added, and I've sent the file to Eric.
Ah, I've got back-up on this one - 3 other sets of eyes, 1 pair being another birder, though. We first spotted the bird because it was hawking insects from a perch and managed to get 2 pairs of bins on it. We then checked our our first assumptions and alteratives in field guide(s) back at her place. The large eye and edges to the wing feathers are pretty diagnostic and the bill ruled out Siskiny-like birds. Other options might have been Tree Pipit or indeed a jubenile Robin. She also gets Redstarts up there which would perhaps be another confuser. In fact that was what we started with when IDing the Nightingale.
Distribution and timing of migration from the BTO's Migrant watch has a number of mid-April sightings near the north border of Cambridgeshire with Northamptonshire. Granted their map records only go up to 2004.
I will certainly try to get onto them tonight (but it was a long walk yesterday!) Tomorrow at worst.
Very tricky indeed. My Larousse doesn't even list these rarities for Britain.What about Muscicapa dauurica or M. sibirica, then?They can be very tricky in the field.
Updated just now. Please PM me on any screwed up links.Great, the I can mail you another version which includes the update I just cross-posted with you.
You know, when I read the Latin name turdus migratorius, a robin was not the first thing to come to mind.