• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Ed Forum birdwatching 2008

Seem to have overlooked this one; sorry.

I've looked in the Sibley Field Guide to the Birds of Eastern North America, and I can only give two suggestions:

1. It was Fish crows you heard. Their voice is described as "Common call a simple, short, nasal cah or cah-ah; less often a hoarser cahrrr similar to juvenile America [crow]".
2. It was juvenile American Crows you heard. Their voice is described as: "higher and hoarser [than adults]; often a drawn-out cahrrr".

Does this fit at all? I understand that some birds have extensive dialectal differences, but I've never heard that crows would have them. I may be wrong, though. Both sounds, I believe, can be heard on www.mangoverde.com (I think the second one is the juvenile American Crow).

It might have been a juvenile, but I think there were several, and I'd have said their calls were less hoarse than the usual. Higher, longer, and somehwat more tonal. None of the sounds I found quite match.
 
Ok, I lied. There is this little bugger, who was really not all that happy with me:
2716478861_881e50da7f.jpg

June 19th, Kerkini, Greece.
 
Mine's a Canon 5D, and I use usually a 200 - 400mm telephoto lens. Expensive and heavy, but worth it if it's more than a casual hobby. The rest of the time I use a 24 - 55mm zoom lens. You need one that you can use from a distance, that focusses really quickly, will take a ream of shots together and that's as quiet as possible, if you're out taking wildlife shots.

Great info, and you have a great set up. I'm by no means anything but an amateur so I'm leaning toward the the Canon 40D and Tamron 28-300. It's in my budget and will probably keep me busy for years figuring it all out. If I can get clear, stable pics, I'm sure I'll be happy, at least for awhile.

You'll know when I have the set up as I'll barrage the thread with the new pics. Thanks again.
 
Great info, and you have a great set up. I'm by no means anything but an amateur so I'm leaning toward the the Canon 40D and Tamron 28-300. It's in my budget and will probably keep me busy for years figuring it all out. If I can get clear, stable pics, I'm sure I'll be happy, at least for awhile.

You'll know when I have the set up as I'll barrage the thread with the new pics. Thanks again.

If it helps, for the price difference, I don't see much actual difference between the 450D and the 40D. I would look carefully at both, and see if the lower cost of the 450D would enable you to get better lenses.
 
The collared dove is indeed a Eurasian Collared Dove (Streptopeleia decaocto). The scientific name clinches it--we heard these doves, and were told the story of their name: From this site:
The scientific name, Streptopeleia decaocto, literally means a collar (streptos) dove (peleia). In Greek mythology, Decaocto was an overworked, underpaid servant girl. The gods heard her prayers for help and changed her into a dove so she could escape her misery. The dove's call still echoes the mournful cries of her former life.
Well, there's a bit more. "Decaocto" means "eighteen" in Greek. The story is that the young girl was sent to the bakery for rolls, and came back with 18 of them. Her master had ordered 19, and the baker swore he had given her 19. The call of the bird is exactly that of a whining girl insisting "decaocto!"--the inflection is perfect. Very much like the call of a Mourning Dove, but for the distinctive "decaocto" phrasing.

So, yeah, it looks like my photo is a bit dark.
 
Kotatsu said:
Good pictures! Are those juvenile owls? They look a bit fluffy around the head...

Two appear to be juveniles and one is probably the mother. The two sitting together kept watching all the things going by on the road. The one by itself watched ME the whole time. If you're collecting data, the pictures were taken on July 24 at about 12:30PM ADT at 61°15'29.67"N, 149°39'11.91"W.

-David
 
I've been seeing a lot of Rainbow Lorikeets, Trichoglossus haematodus moluccanus around lately. They've come in to feed on the Eucalypt flowers.
 
Last edited:
No contributions from me for a couple of weeks, the reason being that it is midwinter and the last two sundays, my only day off, have been overcast wet and cold. The forecast for this this weekend is good though, but there are still not many birds around. I could go to the Lillydale lake, where you can often see pelicans, ibis, and various waterfowl, but it's like Bourke street there. Every man and his dog wants to walk around the bloody thing.
 
It's been too hot (high today was 38 C) to go birding on the Colorado plains, but comfortable weather can be found with a short drive into the mountains. No new species for the list, but yesterday I took this photograph of a friendly Grey Jay, Perisoreus canadensis.

 
The list has Lesser Yellowlegs as Tringa melanoleuca, the correct names are:
Lesser Yellowlegs Tringa flavipes
Greater Yellowlegs Tringa melanoleuca

But since I saw both species today, standing next to each other so identification was easy, we can just add them both to the list.

Also spotted today was:
California Gull Larus californicus

All three birds were in Colorado, USA.
 
Last edited:
I haven't done well lately. I was in Amsterdam on the 19th July and I only saw:

coots
great crested grebe
a heron which I am afraid I could not identify but it was not a grey heron. It had a yellow beak and blue head -lighter blue/grey body and I think yellow legs
tree creeper
a small green parakeet in Vondel Park - well a lot of them actually. I do not know what they are but they are noisy :D


and although I have nothing new for the uk I did get a couple of pictures today which I quite like

2Bluetit.jpg



greattit.jpg


dunnock.jpg


collareddove.jpg
 
Just a quick note to say that I am lurking and will get to the list this week.

Noting the offer to host our webpages has also prompted me to revamp the pages to make it easier to navigate to country lists and see if I can't give visitors the ability to sort/query/browse the list to compile their own "stats".

Kotatsu - got your email with the list, just have to find time to get back to it.
 
I still have to catch up on the last couple of days of July and sort through the various discussions but, barring my errors, here's the current list:

Order Total :19
Family Total :90
Species Total :499
Species Total :502(inc. Subspecies)
Carrion/Hooded, Rock/Domestic Pigeon, Short-Eared/Hawaian Owl

Total Sightings:1555

In my opinion the Rock is distinct from the Domestic, to we're 1/2 way through the year and exactly 1/2 way to Kotatsu's hope to get 1000 species for 2008. Will check over the list tomorrow to decide this exciting devolpment!
 
Last edited:
Eric:
I've added most of the ones since I got back from Germany already, but they weren't in the file I sent you. I will add the rest and send it to you today.

Also, I am delighted to hear that we're halfway there. My dream is to be able to add perhaps 150 in Japan, perhaps 100 in Australia, and some in Thailand, where I will be for a short while changing planes. I may also go to Norway towards the end of the month, and as I have teaching this month, I will be able to be out in the field a lot during the most intensive migration period for waders here. So perhaps 1000 is actually achievable!
 
I have now added observations by Mercutio, Damien Evans, Kestrel, and Fiona, as well as updated the observation dates on some earlier observations.

It might have been a juvenile, but I think there were several, and I'd have said their calls were less hoarse than the usual. Higher, longer, and somehwat more tonal. None of the sounds I found quite match.

I suppose there could be individual or regional variation, but I've never heard of that in crows. Those are the only species occurring in your area, so perhaps locally and vocally aberrant ones is the only solution?

No contributions from me for a couple of weeks, the reason being that it is midwinter and the last two sundays, my only day off, have been overcast wet and cold.
It's been too hot (high today was 38 C) to go birding on the Colorado plains

For one, it's to cold and for another it's too hot^^.

I blame paperwork, instead. I am filling out permit applications for my trip to Australia, and that takes a lot of work. I'll have to call them late tonight (my time) to ask for help, because they're not responding to emails. It would be a bit of a downer if I went to all the trouble of arranging my trip and buying tickets and so on, only to be denied to do any actual collections, so I try to make everything correct from the start.

I haven't done well lately. I was in Amsterdam on the 19th July and I only saw:

Which is a healthy injection to the Dutch list, previously consisting only of Nightingale. A few comments:

Judging by distribution, I believe your Treecreeper must have been a Short-toed one. I don't have any good books on European birds here at work (and my supervisor's office is closed, as he's not in today), but according to the Wikipedia maps, it seems only the Short-toed lives in the Netherlands. I have preliminarily added it as such, but would appreciate input from others on this.

The parakeet I would guess is Ring-necked Parakeet Psittacula krameri, as that is the only one I know that has large populations in Europe. Does this seem to fit?

As to the heron: it wasn't a young Grey heron, was it? They can look strange at times. Otherwise my only guess would be Purple Heron, but I have no experience of that one, so I don't know what it would look like in juvenile plumage.

Also: there have been a lot of very nice pictures here recently. Thank you all! Now that Kestrel has taught me how to edit my pictures a bit, and EHocking is back home, I will be sending him a lot of them^^.
 
Further listening leads me to believe that my aberrant crow is probably a single individual. It looks to be an otherwise normal, big one, and as all his neighbors are uttering their usual hoarse "caw caw" this one is calling with a high, almost monkey-like "kee kee" about two octaves higher. We have a lot of crows, and they fly all over the place, so it's hard to localize them sometimes, but it looks as if it's nothing more than a single countertenor crow.
 
The parakeet I would guess is Ring-necked Parakeet Psittacula krameri, as that is the only one I know that has large populations in Europe. Does this seem to fit?

Googling 'Vondelpark' and 'parakeet' seems to confirm this ID.
 
Yes that is the parakeet. And looking at the pictures I am sure it was a purple heron. I had great pictures of it but I accidentally deleted them, being an idiot :( But I am sure it is that one thought this site does not say it is there

http://www.towhee.net/europe/vondelpark.html.

It does concur with the short toed tree creeper, so I think that is the one. Looks like it when I googled it anyway.
 
Ueh, it's about... 3.30 in the morning, local time, and I've been up this late just to be able to call Australia and ask some questions about permits for my trip... why do you have to keep Australia so far away? Bleh...
 
...And looking at the pictures I am sure it was a purple heron. I had great pictures of it but I accidentally deleted them,...
If you are talking about deleted photos from a card in a digital camera, there is quite a number of software (some free) that are very good at recovering deleted files from flash cards.

If you Google "recover deleted photo card" (or similar combo) you should find one that suits your needs, or, if you want to PM me with the card make/model I could look back on one that I used for a friend who "lost" the Xmas photos of his kids.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom