Good study, thanks, Arthwollipot! Looks like I have the most common symptoms: pain, itchiness, persistent red mark.
The worst reaction I've ever got was from an ant bite.
Damn bull ant. Wasn't satisfied with biting me in the ankle, no. Had to climb all the way up and bite me in the ******* neck!
I had a mild fever for three days. Then I got better. Damn stupid ant.
When we went to Oz in 1978-79 we were greeted with the headline of a woman who died from a Sydney Funnel Web spider bite. IIRC she was about 35 yrs old. The spider was in her sheets when she went to bed. It was pretty scary.Thanks, yes, I've never heard news of anyone dying of spider bite.
After a total of 13 recorded fatalities and years of research, an antivenom for the Sydney funnel web was finally developed in 1981. “And we haven’t had a fatality since,” Mick says.
Indeed, the last fatality occurred exactly 12 months earlier when a curly-headed blond toddler, James Cully, was bitten while on holidays on the Central Coast.
When we went to Oz in 1978-79 we were greeted with the headline of a woman who died from a Sydney Funnel Web spider bite. IIRC she was about 35 yrs old. The spider was in her sheets when she went to bed. It was pretty scary.
I have since been told by one or more of you Aussies on the forum she must have been the last fatality. I dunno, but you don't forget a headline like that as an Oz tourist.
Haha, no, obviously!![]()
I did some searching and posted updates. Very interesting links if anyone is interested. I'm done editing now.![]()
It's theorised that huntsman spiders cause a large number of single-car accidents on Australian roads.
You're a braver man than I.
In this case, I don't deserve that accolade.
It happened as some kind of reflex. I'm pretty sure that I couldn't have done it deliberately.
I can manouvre them into a jar etc. to take them outside, but I can't handle them.
(Even the jar thing practically gives me palpitations.)
It's not a rational thing.
I've been bitten a couple of times, and the bite is gross, but not that bad.
Something about the number of legs maybe?
It's hard to understand, that's for sure.
I've handled crabs with no issues, and they try really hard to cause injury (and this seems entirely reasonable to me). There's just something about spiders...
Oh well.
At least it's not as bad as a phobia.
Yeah spiders are ok. And useful - keep the pesky bugs down. Those around here are not very big. If I know where there webs are I tend to leave them alone and let them do their job. I do hate it though when I walk into a web I haven't noticed.