• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Content Warning: Spiders!

Good study, thanks, Arthwollipot! Looks like I have the most common symptoms: pain, itchiness, persistent red mark.
 
Hmm...

There's a lot of stuff in the news recently about mosquito born illnesses.

I get a reasonable reaction to mozzie bites, but they pass fairly quickly, if you do start feeling ill, or get a weird virus, please remember to mention this bite, and take some photos with your phone (if you haven't already) just in case.

I've had quite a few spider bites, and they are typically distinctive, in that I can see two clear puncture wounds at the centre of the bite.

Most likely culprit (I think) is the wolf spider I think they're as common as white tails inside homes, although much harder to see because of their colour. They are fairly active hunters and cover a lot of ground. I've had loads of bites from them (typically while weeding) and the result was on par for a mozzie bite, i.e. a raised white lump surrounded by redness.

The red line is worth watching, it could be as simple has having scratched at the bite site, but if it grows, definitely seek medical assistance.

The only time I've had a red line, was an innocuous paper cut on my little finger, that rapidly turned into an emergency after a couple of days of 'meh'. (A suddenly growing red line was the indication that something was going badly wrong).
 
The worst reaction I've ever got was from an ant bite.

Damn bull ant. Wasn't satisfied with biting me in the ankle, no. Had to climb all the way up and bite me in the ******* neck!

I had a mild fever for three days. Then I got better. Damn stupid ant.
 
The worst reaction I've ever got was from an ant bite.

Damn bull ant. Wasn't satisfied with biting me in the ankle, no. Had to climb all the way up and bite me in the ******* neck!

I had a mild fever for three days. Then I got better. Damn stupid ant.

Heheheheheheh, my turn to be a pedant.

The ant 'bite' doesn't do any damage.

The sting that they administer while holding on with their 'bite' is the problem.

:)
 
The itchiness and redness are noticeably faded today, phew. Still a bit of inflammation there, and a small lump under the bite, though.
 
Thanks, yes, I've never heard news of anyone dying of spider bite.
When we went to Oz in 1978-79 we were greeted with the headline of a woman who died from a Sydney Funnel Web spider bite. IIRC she was about 35 yrs old. The spider was in her sheets when she went to bed. It was pretty scary.

I have since been told by one or more of you Aussies on the forum she must have been the last fatality. I dunno, but you don't forget a headline like that as an Oz tourist.

Yep, no fatalities since 1981.

After a total of 13 recorded fatalities and years of research, an antivenom for the Sydney funnel web was finally developed in 1981. “And we haven’t had a fatality since,” Mick says.


Apparently she wasn't the last fatality, a child was: Sydney Morning Herald, 2006
Indeed, the last fatality occurred exactly 12 months earlier when a curly-headed blond toddler, James Cully, was bitten while on holidays on the Central Coast.
That suggests the last fatality was in 2005.

No that was the date of the article. The story was about a man bitten in 1980.
 
Last edited:
When we went to Oz in 1978-79 we were greeted with the headline of a woman who died from a Sydney Funnel Web spider bite. IIRC she was about 35 yrs old. The spider was in her sheets when she went to bed. It was pretty scary.

I have since been told by one or more of you Aussies on the forum she must have been the last fatality. I dunno, but you don't forget a headline like that as an Oz tourist.

Haha, no, obviously! :)
 
One of my defining memories, of living in Sydney for five years, was being chased around a pool deck, by a very aggressive funnel web spider. (Nice home near the North Shore of Sydney Harbour).

It was both funny and scary at the same time.

I'm happy that I saw it coming, and didn't just get fanged, unawares.

The host of the BBQ thonged the spider from behind, while it was intent on sinking its fangs into my big toe.

:)

At least the spiders around here just jump on me rather than actively trying to rip off appendages.
 
It's theorised that huntsman spiders cause a large number of single-car accidents on Australian roads.

I don't doubt it.

They are disconcerting, and distracting, even if they are just walking around inside the car.

I've only seen the famous 'bungee jump' once (when the spider falls on a thread from behind a sun visor) and I'm damn surprised that I didn't crash my car.

(I did pull over as fast as possible, crossing over four lanes of traffic, during peak hour on Paramatta road, so more testimony on the amazing competence of Sydney drivers.)

Not bad since the spider was doing a tap-dance in my lap.

(I'm bloody lucky it didn't run up the leg of my shorts.)
 
You're a braver man than I.

In this case, I don't deserve that accolade.

It happened as some kind of reflex. I'm pretty sure that I couldn't have done it deliberately.

I can manouvre them into a jar etc. to take them outside, but I can't handle them.

(Even the jar thing practically gives me palpitations.)

It's not a rational thing.

I've been bitten a couple of times, and the bite is gross, but not that bad.

Something about the number of legs maybe?

It's hard to understand, that's for sure.

I've handled crabs with no issues, and they try really hard to cause injury (and this seems entirely reasonable to me). There's just something about spiders...

Oh well.

At least it's not as bad as a phobia.
 
In this case, I don't deserve that accolade.

It happened as some kind of reflex. I'm pretty sure that I couldn't have done it deliberately.

I can manouvre them into a jar etc. to take them outside, but I can't handle them.

(Even the jar thing practically gives me palpitations.)

It's not a rational thing.

I've been bitten a couple of times, and the bite is gross, but not that bad.

Something about the number of legs maybe?

It's hard to understand, that's for sure.

I've handled crabs with no issues, and they try really hard to cause injury (and this seems entirely reasonable to me). There's just something about spiders...

Oh well.

At least it's not as bad as a phobia.

I'm generally comfortable with spiders, although the smaller, the better. I have no idea how I'd react to a full sized live huntsman.
 
Yeah spiders are ok. And useful - keep the pesky bugs down. Those around here are not very big. If I know where there webs are I tend to leave them alone and let them do their job. I do hate it though when I walk into a web I haven't noticed.
 
Yeah spiders are ok. And useful - keep the pesky bugs down. Those around here are not very big. If I know where there webs are I tend to leave them alone and let them do their job. I do hate it though when I walk into a web I haven't noticed.

I'm caught between a rock and a hard place with my down lights...

If I put mesh cages over them, the spiders will cover the cages with webs and then the lights will overheat.

If I don't, I have to put up with bungee jumping spiders (i.e. the current situation).

Every now and then, I find some monster that's been living somewhere in my house for a long time, mostly I round up little girls and put them outside.

(Found a red back living in the gap under a blanket box, body like a grape, definitely the biggest one I've ever seen. By all the detritus, which is how I found the spider, it had been living on millipedes - another constant battle around here.)
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom