• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Content Warning: Spiders!

Looks like a Brown Widow to me.

They have populated a fair chunk of the world.


Painful 'bite', but not considered particularly dangerous.
Safety notice: novaphile is resident in Australia where "not considered particularly dangerous" means it will take a few hours to kill you rather than instantly kill you.
 
*novaphile*: is slightly distracted because he has a Bunyip chewing on his leg, and a Drop Bear trying to strangle him.

Gimme a break you two! If I don't feed the snakes, you know how cranky they get!
 
Safety notice: novaphile is resident in Australia where "not considered particularly dangerous" means it will take a few hours to kill you rather than instantly kill you.
"Mild irritation" then surely means "a few weeks in utter agony until you die"?
 
Hey listen you lot...
Not EVERYTHING in Australia is trying to kill you you know....

There's um.....

Hang on, gimme a minute....

There's...

um....


I'll get back to you on that...
 
Looks like a Brown Widow to me.

They have populated a fair chunk of the world.


Painful 'bite', but not considered particularly dangerous.
Good try. Not a Brown Widow, but a Noble False Widow, Steatoda nobilis. I don't mind it being in the garage but that one in my picture had somehow made it into the porch. I put some paper under it and popped it outside. I've only seen them a couple of times but then I don't go looking for them. I am in Hampshire in the UK and the Wikipedia page also has a picture from Hampshire.
 
i wish I still had a picture, but I think it's lost to MySpace era. We were recording in Vista, CA and this big ol' tarantula showed up at the doorstep and just hung out the whole time. Nothing aggressive about it. We could step over it to go outside to smoke. As soon as we were done, it wandered off. I imagine, or wonder, that it may have just been there for the vibrations (or vibes!)
 
i wish I still had a picture, but I think it's lost to MySpace era. We were recording in Vista, CA and this big ol' tarantula showed up at the doorstep and just hung out the whole time. Nothing aggressive about it. We could step over it to go outside to smoke. As soon as we were done, it wandered off. I imagine, or wonder, that it may have just been there for the vibrations (or vibes!)

Very likely the vibrations felt like the buzzing of a nearby insect, and it was just confused.

One of the fun games I learned as a kid, was how to join up a bunch of plastic straws, and cut one end like a reed.

Blowing through it made a drone, that was ideal to get spiders onto their web, or out of their burrows.

(With trap door spiders, thats particularly 'fun' because they come out and strike incredibly fast. It made a palpable 'thump' through the straw.)
 
Very likely the vibrations felt like the buzzing of a nearby insect, and it was just confused.

One of the fun games I learned as a kid, was how to join up a bunch of plastic straws, and cut one end like a reed.

Blowing through it made a drone, that was ideal to get spiders onto their web, or out of their burrows.

(With trap door spiders, thats particularly 'fun' because they come out and strike incredibly fast. It made a palpable 'thump' through the straw.)
that's awesome. one of the few reasons i wonder if i might have liked to have kids is the kid science like that.
 
Last edited:
Hey listen you lot...
Not EVERYTHING in Australia is trying to kill you you know....

There's um.....

Hang on, gimme a minute....

There's...

um....


I'll get back to you on that...
Hmmm, what’s that saying, “if you’re not part of the solution . . . ?”.
 
Hmmm, what’s that saying, “if you’re not part of the solution . . . ?”.
Well I do live in the middle of the bush...
(I actually had the Jovos turn up a couple of times- including the last time when they saw me drive in and close (and lock) my gate- they somehow thought that gave them the right to climb through the fence and walk down my drive to my place...
Yeah but nah....
I went full on 'Deliverance' on them lol...
You know the scene- 'you sure gutta purdy mouh boy' lol
1758848941311.png
A grey haired old coot in literally the middle of the bush- you cant even hear the neighbours let alone see them...
Down the wrong end of a 500m long driveway- with your car at the other end....

Dunno why they have never come back....

Whats funny is that my place looks kinda like Mick Taylor's place (even down to having an old truck in the driveway... except mines a Merc towtruck, not an F100)
Aussies will likely get the reference, one of John Jarratt's move chilling roles...

1758849308392.png​

Even look kind similar- add a 'Ned Kelly' bushranger beard, and we could be brothers lol
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom