• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Conservatives still hate Sandra Fluke

No it isn't. Sandra Fluke came to attention in regards to legislation that ONLY addressed who paid for contraception, but otherwise had absolutely zero affect on access to it. That was her pet issue. That is what she wanted to be known for.

You mean she stood up in front of the US Congress and just said, "Waaah, someone's gotta pay for my contraception"? Over and over and over? And she never gave any reasons? Jeez, no wonder Rush thinks he can get in her pants. That must've been a hellluva testimony. I've looked for it in Midnight Blue and the Playboy Channel, but it must've been deleted because it was too licentious.

Oh, but wait,... I found the REAL testimony. Ya know, it seems she actually addressed the reasons behind this, and left out the obvious one the Limbaugh monster picked up on (that girls just wanna have fu-un)...

These denials of contraceptive coverage impact real people. In the worst cases, women who need this medication for other medical reasons suffer dire
consequences. A friend of mine, for example, has polycystic ovarian syndrome and has to take prescription birth control to stop cysts from growing on her ovaries.
Her prescription is technically covered by Georgetown insurance because it’s not intended to prevent pregnancy. Under many religious institutions’ insurance plans, it wouldn’t be, and under Senator Blunt’s amendment, Senator Rubio’s bill, or Representative Fortenberry’s bill, there’s no requirement that an exception be made for such medical needs. When they do exist, these exceptions don’t accomplish their well-intended goals because when you let university administrators or other employers, rather than women and their doctors, dictate whose medical needs are legitimate and whose aren’t, a woman’s health takes a back seat to a bureaucracy focused on policing her body.

See bolded part. Yes, she was stating that contraceptives should be covered, but she was not testifying on behalf of the Wayward Girls' Campaign for More Suck and ****, but actually speaking on yet another reprehensible fundie amendment that is trying to limit funding for ANYTHING having anything to do with "not having babies".
 
That dress she's wearing is certainly an inexpensive form of birth control.

What does that even mean? You can only see the top of it and it looks like a sensible sun frock to me. Should she be showing less skin? More?

Sorry, but your post is puzzling. I suppose you get the irony; sort of like the people who wouldn't address the issues spoken by Betty Friedan but attacked her for her looks.
 
You mean she stood up in front of the US Congress and just said, "Waaah, someone's gotta pay for my contraception"? Over and over and over? And she never gave any reasons?

No, I do not mean that. Nor did I say that. Nor did I say anything even remotely resembling that. If the only way you can form an argument is to knock down a straw man, you should probably reconsider your approach. Care to try again? Because the evidence you've marshaled doesn't actually contradict what I actually said.
 
No, I do not mean that. Nor did I say that. Nor did I say anything even remotely resembling that. If the only way you can form an argument is to knock down a straw man, you should probably reconsider your approach. Care to try again? Because the evidence you've marshaled doesn't actually contradict what I actually said.

Where's the really really embarassed smiley.

Seriously. I read that you said SHE only addressed, etc... You said that the LEGISLATION only addressed, etc....

My bad. That's what I get for posting while trying to make a cream cheese buttercream frosting in 95 degree heat.

My bad.
 
How does that work? If the population is decreasing, how can the people entering the work force be increasing? Also, Ziggurat specifically mentioned population growth. Now he's claiming there is no population growth.
Ever hear of a thing called "immigration"?
 
That dress she's wearing is certainly an inexpensive form of birth control.

What gives, Brainster? When I first came here you were what I considered one of the few reasonable, intellectually honest conservatives on this forum. Now I'm seeing a lot of posts like this one that are causing me to lose a lot of respect for you. Don't do this.
 
Oh please. She's an activist who wanted to be in the spotlight. There's nothing wrong with that, but don't pretend it wasn't her choice, because it was. And she got plenty of media machine support from the left. Calling her defenseless (against what? speech?) is a farce.

I'm a bit curious. Would someone really think that going before a house committee is the best way to win the spotlight? Wouldn't that provide the exposure of CSPAN? I only heard about her because Limbaugh was whining about her. My impression was someone who found the issue important enough to volunteer to go before congress, not someone looking for a national stage.

I would also think she'd rather be known for her domestic violence work and such.

So, I guess, do you really have evidence that she went into this looking for national attention? Or are you just blowing smoke?
 
Originally Posted by tyr_13
Wow, something about her really seems to give certain conservatives a massive hate on.
Yes clearly there is a group on conservatives who have an irrational hatred for her.

Originally Posted by Tony
She is a woman who disagrees with them. To conservatives, such uppity women deserve a good ole fashion raping.
This is a ridiculous statement.


Yeah, women aren't supposed to question the GOP controlling their lives.
I believe one reason more people do not show up to rallies like this is women do not see the GOP as controlling their lives.
 
Wow, you really don't have a clue, do you?

First off, people don't enter the work force when they're born. Second, I didn't say that there was no population growth OR that the population was now decreasing, I said that the birth rate was below replacement rate. Do you know what the difference is?

No, I guess you actually don't. :nope:

Please explain.
 
Please explain.

As Wildcat already mentioned, you're ignoring immigration. That's the primary driver of our population growth. You're also ignoring the difference between the total population and the workforce population. A change in birth rate today doesn't change the number of people entering the work force until around 18 years from today.

ETA:
100,000 a month?

There were about 1 million legal immigrants to the US in 2010. Can you do the math?
 
Last edited:
And if she were wearing a sexy dress, conservatives would accuse her of acting slutty. Really, Brainster, this sort of comment is below you.

The new mainstream of the right is just going further off the rails. Here's Steve King of Iowa. He won't even say that contraception should be legal. Not paid for by the government or insurance or the woman. He's not sure one way or the other if states should be able to ban them.

http://thinkprogress.org/election/2...if-he-believes-contraception-should-be-legal/

Unless Brainster wants to support Steve King, he's left with nothing but attacks on a private citizen whose claim to fame is being denied a chance to testify in front of congress by the whacko Tea Party Republicans, and being called a slut by Rush Limbaugh.
 
I believe one reason more people do not show up to rallies like this is women do not see the GOP as controlling their lives.
eeyore, the OP is an anecdote. It's demonstrative of little to nothing. Maybe you should consider that Romney has some of the worst polling numbers among women of any recent candidate. I think that fact is demonstrative that women don't want the GOP controlling their lives. Now, that's just a correlation and there could be other reasons but if I had to make a decision based on the evidence I'd go with that.
 
Last edited:

What a compelling argument. I should nominate this post for the language award. Sure, it's virtual body language, but still: the devastating logic! The encyclopaedic master of facts, contained with such brilliant brevity! The sheer eloquence! You have changed my mind completely. I salute you, sir.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom