• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Chaos Magic

This is for Zanders also,

I haven't put my position yet as I was not intending to join this thread. It must be drawing my mind in bit by bit.

In reality I am closer to your side on this issue, I am not really interested in paranormal activity and prefer not to address it either way.

I remain open minded to it, and it happens to me and my friends from time to time in various forms. I enjoy it and see it as a manifestation of reality which we don't yet understand and leave it at that.

In other words, you close your mind to the possibility that there might be a perfectly well understood explanation, and then move on. That's pretty much what every believer of the paranormal does.
 
In other words, you close your mind to the possibility that there might be a perfectly well understood explanation, and then move on. That's pretty much what every believer of the paranormal does.

Your putting words into my mouth, I am quite happy to learn about the various explanations there are. I am intersted in how the mind works, but I have experiences which can only be partially explained. Especially when coincidence and chance are part of the explanation.
 
Your putting words into my mouth, I am quite happy to learn about the various explanations there are. I am intersted in how the mind works, but I have experiences which can only be partially explained. Especially when coincidence and chance are part of the explanation.

Yes, but how do you get from "can only be partially explained" to "must be something we don't understand"? You said yourself you consider your "paranormal" experience "manifestation of reality which we don't yet understand" - despite the fact that there's really no reason why they couldn't be manifestations of the reality we understand perfectly well.
 
Originally Posted by Mirrorglass:
In other words, you close your mind to the possibility that there might be a perfectly well understood explanation, and then move on. That's pretty much what every believer of the paranormal does.
Your putting words into my mouth, I am quite happy to learn about the various explanations there are. I am intersted in how the mind works, but I have experiences which can only be partially explained. Especially when coincidence and chance are part of the explanation.
It's worth distinguishing between experiences you don't yet understand, but are easily explainable, and experiences that are currently inexplicable. There is likely to be many of the former and few of the latter.
 
It's worth distinguishing between experiences you don't yet understand, but are easily explainable, and experiences that are currently inexplicable. There is likely to be many of the former and few of the latter.

Well, that's a matter of terminology. In the strictest of terms, a lot of things are inexplicable with our current knowledge - as in, we don't yet know all the details about how things work, so we can't really explain them perfectly.

But of course, unlike many a person would like to believe, this does not mean that the current laws of physics may be overturned, or that we might discover ghosts one day - but merely that as science progresses, we will keep on gaining more detailed, more accurate knowledge of the things around us - most of which we already understand fairly well - well enough to rule out a lot of silly ideas, at least.
 
Your putting words into my mouth, I am quite happy to learn about the various explanations there are. I am intersted in how the mind works, but I have experiences which can only be partially explained. Especially when coincidence and chance are part of the explanation.


And your personal experience trumps facts, physics and reality, right?
 
I only read the first five pages or so, so forgive me if it seems like I'm just jumping into the topic.

Because two of my favourite writers (well, comic book authors, to be precise) happen to be magic(k)ians, I have been reading about the subject for a while. I did try doing some magick myself (namely sigils) but either I was doing it wrong or it simply doesn't work. But I don't know. It's confusing.

For example, an author will tell you that you can contact higher lifeforms, be it aliens or angels. One of the aforementioned writers (Grant Morrison, in case you're wondering) claims that not only that is possible, but that you can also talk to characters from fiction because it's all the same within the realms of consciousness. And yet, a few pages later, they tell you that what you're doing is simply assuming facets of the human condition. For example, if you contact James Bond, you're not actually contacting James Bond but simply bringing out the suave, mysterious ladies-man in you. Then a few pages later they are like "no, really, you can talk to angels and have them explain the universe to you. For real." So, yeah, which one is it again? It's never clear.

Then there's the sigils, which are symbols you make yourself based on what you want. Depending on who you read (because this isn't an exact science, in case you hadn't noticed, heh), you either forget about them and let your subconcious do the work, or you charge the sigils and project them into the realm of conciousness so that the universe does its thing and makes your wish come true. Most authors I've read (including Morrison) claim that sigils always work.

Then you have people like me who do everything as outlined by this or that source, and nothing happens and you just feel silly because you might as well just have paid for a Tarot reading with a complementary magnetic bracelet that will tune up your body energy.

Despite what everyone says (you're doing it wrong, you're not focusing enoug, you are not ready for this type of thing, etc), I'm inclined to follow the words of the other writer, Alan Moore, who says that everything people say about magic is absolutely true, as long as you understand it happened inside people's heads. That sounds more like what seems to be going on in this topic.
 
Despite what everyone says (you're doing it wrong, you're not focusing enoug, you are not ready for this type of thing, etc), I'm inclined to follow the words of the other writer, Alan Moore, who says that everything people say about magic is absolutely true, as long as you understand it happened inside people's heads. That sounds more like what seems to be going on in this topic.
That all sounds very sensible, given the lack of objective evidence.
 
Despite what everyone says (you're doing it wrong, you're not focusing enoug, you are not ready for this type of thing, etc), I'm inclined to follow the words of the other writer, Alan Moore, who says that everything people say about magic is absolutely true, as long as you understand it happened inside people's heads. That sounds more like what seems to be going on in this topic.
Alan Moore can be a wee bit pretentious at times, but that's dead on.

And yes, when people follow through with excuses rather than evidence, it's time to quit.
 
Removed multiple breaches (with a chainsaw rather than a scalpel)
Replying to this modbox in thread will be off topic  Posted By: LashL
 
Last edited by a moderator:
hello?

Hi annnnoid,

Your most recent post is quite confrontational. Would you mind taking a moment to look at this one? I feel like you might feel entrenched in some type of battle with other posters, but perhaps my suggestion to more clearly state your position might help things.

If not, and you seek confrontational debate like you posted, that's cool too. Just trying to clarify things.

Thanks,
c
annnnoid, have you seen the IBM Watson project? They programmed a computer to understand slang, analogies, trick questions, etc. It beat human contestants in a test run of the game show "Jeopardy."

http://money.cnn.com/2011/01/13/technology/ibm_jeopardy_watson/index.htm

The real event will be televised in the middle of February.

I really don't understand your points. You seem to be saying that machines (or rulers) can't experience emotions like humans can. I agree with this, but I realize you have a broader point, something to do with consciousness. Would you consider succinctly stating your point, so that I might understand your position more clearly? If it's not related to 'chaos magic' maybe you could put it someplace else and link it?
 
Last edited:
I cant do everything, only God can do that.

"Ye are Gods" --Psalm 82:6, John 10:34

I am more open to experiences than skeptics who dont adopt an open mind to things which do not have a scientific explanation.
I know which set I would rather be in.


Put you money where your mouth is.

Dear punshhh, I have some wisdom to offer you. I have used chaos magic based research, my telescope to speak, to come up with a great exercise that is specifically tailored for your spiritual needs. As such it will probably not work for anybody else.

Be that as it may, there are whole bucketloads of wisdom and experience waiting for you. If you are willing to accept it, that is.

All you need to do is to spend 2 hours daily to repeat the incantation "hooooo moooofoooo moooooofooooo" as loudly as you can, while being in a relatively populated place, such as the main street of the town you live in.

As the wise man that you are, I am sure that you will find great pleasure in exercising your openness to all kinds of experience.​

You don't want to be a closeminded skeptic, now do you? No, not you. No, you are a wisdom seeker. :)
 
Only god can go "hoo moofoo" in a public place?

And anyway, it's not that skeptics have closed minds. Skeptics are providing several different explanations to seemingly paranormal phenomena, and pointing out we can't really be sure which one is true - so we shouldn't act like we do. The believers, on the other hand, have already decided exactly what caused their experience, and are completely closed off to any alternative explanations. Just see this thread for several examples.

Emphasis mine. Only if you count the myriad of disguises that "science cannot explain it" comes in as an explanation.
 
The problem with the idea that machines can't experience emotions the way people do is that people are machines.

I'm just a love machine and I won't work for nobody but you
I'm just a love machine .............. A hugging kissing fiend

I think it's high time you knew
Whenever I think of you
My mind blows a fuse
When I lookIn your eyes
My meter starts to rise
And I become confused
My motor cranked electric goes
When I'm sitting next to you
Electricity starts to flow
And my indicator starts to glow
 
Could one of you chaos magicians chaos magic my MIL's drive so I don't have to go and shovel it?

Thanks in advance.
 
dlorde said:
Well, someone's cranky.

Indeed. Almost crossing the line from embarrassing to disturbing...

I suppose it would be unsettling for someone of more diplomatic sensibilities. Truth be told, I'm even more brutal with myself; I continually bathe in the very flames that I singe others with. IMO, excessive decorum and unconditional politeness are whats truely disturbing and distasteful. I prefer a sharp tongue speaking with bitter honesty and equity over a silver tongue speaking to flatter and sway. A close friend once joked that the filter between my brain and my mouth is faulty. The fact is, it actaully works just fine; what comes out is far tamer than whats really going on behind these eyes...


dlorde said:
...
What does ''even absent my own posts'' mean?
Absent == without.

It reads like an explicit acknowledgement that his own posts are mean spirited...

To paraphrase:
"Even without my own posts, its painfully obvious that a good portion of the participants here are mean spirited".

A courageous admission, but hardly news.

Ask yourself how many others here would be willing to make such an admission. The real news is that if I were conducting myself in a similar fashion as a contributer to an anti-"woo-woo" feeding frenzy there'd hardly be a mumbling peep of objection. We humans are facinating creatures, no?
 
PixyMisa said:
AkuManiMani said:
My core point is an anathema to you: The known is inherently a bounded subset of the unbounded unknown. This is an inescapable epistemological fact.
Well, I'll give you this: That's that's a concise and coherent statement.

I thought that might tickle your fancy :)

Looked at another way...

All knowledge is built on shifting sands, all understandings but waystation
In pursuit of knowlledge true, there is no final destination

Every answered question is a doorway to still more
Shedding light of revelation, transmuting answers of before

In retropsective view, staid conceptions fall to new
No matter how you try, the more you know the less you do

Behold! Confounding Law of The Catch
42... >:}
​

In more "grounded" terms...

You take far too much for granted in your conception of the world; in this, you're not the first and hardly the last. Like so many others before you, you've become so enamored and intoxicated by your vaunted understanding of the reality that you unwittingly mistake it for reality itself. You have become so fat and contented with the presumed sufficiency of your "knowledge" that you're blind to the manifold mysteries staring you right in the face.

PixyMisa said:
But yes, we* knew that. That's why every single argument you present is some combination of special pleading and the argument from ignorance.

Oh, on the contrary. A tributary point of mine is that the majority of your own position is based upon these very same fallacies:

- Your insistence in lending credence only to studies and claims that confirm your own biases, while vehemently dismissing any and all that don't, is itself a form of special pleading.

- Your bald claim that the mind/consciousness must in principle be confined to brains, based purely off of the fact that you know of no mechanism that would allow otherwise, is an argument from ignorance.

Pot. Kettle. Black.

[* Theres that "we", again. Methinks someone takes way too much comfort in the security of group enforcement and social consensus. Whats the deal? 'Fraid to stand alone...?]

PixyMisa said:
In an infinite Universe, there will of course be an infinite number of things we don't know. That doesn't change the fact that, for example, telepathy is impossible in humans, because we can rule that out based on what we do know about biology and physics. It doesn't change the fact that there is no such thing as a disembodied mind, because the laws of physics preclude such a thing.

There is nothing in the laws of physics as we know them that models or defines the mind/consciousness and its contents -- let alone describes what it's properties are. Such a scientific discovery would be, at the very least, worthy of a Nobel prize. I'm sorry, but you're going to have to provide some very hard evidence of such knowledge.

PixyMisa said:
AkuManiMani said:
Could a fool discern the difference between incoherence and his/her own incomprehension? :rolleyes:
If the argument is incoherent, wherefore do you judge him a fool?

I'll take that as an implicit "no".

PixyMisa said:
I'm inclined to follow the words of the other writer, Alan Moore, who says that everything people say about magic is absolutely true, as long as you understand it happened inside people's heads. That sounds more like what seems to be going on in this topic.
Alan Moore can be a wee bit pretentious at times, but that's dead on.

So you really do have an ironic sense of humor, Pixy. That’s cute :p

But in all seriousness, I also agree with Mr. Moore's assessment, to an extent. However, I'd add that the subjective contents of the mind are just as real, in their own right, as the external objects of our senses. I'd further posit that the external "physical" world of our common experience is quite possibly a more tightly constrained, coherent, and higher res version of what our individual consciousness produce when we dream.

PixyMisa said:
And yes, when people follow through with excuses rather than evidence, it's time to quit.

Agreed. But I hold out hope for you all the same ;)
 
Last edited:

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom