But then all of a sudden we go from ‘everything’ to something orders of magnitude more vague.
No, we haven't.
Now we can only register ‘roughly something’, which…in fact, bears no resemblance to the point upon which I was accused of being staggeringly ignorant but, no doubt, I am still staggeringly ignorant.
In this situation, ignorant isn't the right word. "Deliberately obtuse" is much more fitting.
Yes, we can detect all those things. Can we figure out exactly which chemical reaction is that specific emotion? No. Our instruments aren't fine enough. But we can detect it all the same.
It's like early sound recording. We could record sounds, and we knew that they consisted of waves, but, if we were given a sound wave, we couldn't tell which peak or valley was which specific sound. Did that change the fact that we could still detect and record someone speaking? Of course not.
…and then we find out that we have no such ‘machine’ (singular or plural) capable of detecting everything
Wrong.
which was the basis for the accusation of staggering ignorance…
No, it wasn't. That was the basis for the accusation of constant strawmanning.
Which you are still doing, by the way.
…but just try asking for his holiness to provide some evidence to support this wild fantasy of detecting every single condition of human consciousness.
Neurological readings, dude. Look 'em up. They're not hard to find.
Oh, but I just realized, Argent may actually be looking ahead a few years…
Nope.
Bare assertions are perfectly acceptable when you’re dealing in utter fantasy…come to think of it, isn’t that exactly what woo-woos do?
Yep. But it's not what I'm doing, all your constant straw men to the contrary.
I quite clearly provided a list describing subjective states of human consciousness…(states which every psychologist on the planet [and just about any human being above the age of seven] would immediately associate with the condition referred to as: who I am)
<snip repetitive babble>
I don't give a crap how you define "self". It's
irrelevant.
…and once again, things get murky. We no longer understand everything (upon which basis I was accused of being staggeringly ignorant), we only understand things ‘perfectly well’ (what-the-hell-ever that means). I guess it means well enough for skeptics who don't want to have to confront their own ignorance.
The meaning is incredibly obvious. I've explained it to you multiple times. Go back and read my posts again.
But take heart
<snip continual straw men>
Moving on...
Certain areas of the brain light up?....my god, what an insight. But something occurs to me, just how far is this from being able to detect everything…
That is detecting everything. That is the definition of
detecting: being able to register when something is there.
Apparently, we can now only determine when certain areas of the brain light up (light up…I’ve never noticed my brain ‘lighting up’…and I don’t see that word on my list anywhere either, are you sure you’ve got the results correct there Argent?).
Your idiotic word games aside, yes, certain areas of the brain
do light up when certain emotions are being experienced. In addition, stimulating certain areas of the brain, and placing certain chemicals into the bloodstream, can be shown to effect these emotions (resulting, of course, in the brain lighting up again).
So how many of those words can we reduce my list by Argent (…all of them actually, but I don’t expect you to understand that)?
None.
And does this mean that I am no longer staggeringly ignorant?
Nope. You still are. And you're still incredibly obtuse, willfully ignorant, and continually strawmanning.
<snip straw men and irrelevancy>
So what you’re saying (by way of a rather obvious analogy) is that if I quote, say, Richard Dawkins in relation to a question concerning evolutionary biology we can all assume Richard Dawkins is full of ****?
If he has no evidence backing his claim, yes.
As for evidence of Chomsky’s claim that our understanding of human nature is thin (since he’s obviously an idiot)
I didn't say that. And, again, you are both strawmanning Chomsky (who does not define "human nature" in the same way that you do) and relying on bare assertion (even if he is saying the same thing that you are, which is unlikely, he has no evidence).
we quite obviously can’t even reliably adjudicate that most basic of human conscious realities: a lie. Care to dispute that evidence Argent? Didn’t think so.
"Our understanding of metallurgy is thin and likely to remain so".
Fifty years later, steel is invented.
I produced a supporting conclusion from one of the most highly respected cognitive scientists in the world.
No. You produced a quote which only supports your statement if you assume that Chomsky shares your position on everything else - which is unlikely - and if you are able to present evidence backing his opinion.
I produced a clear example of the current state of the art in relation to detecting states of subjective consciousness.
And you are wrong.
<snip idiocy>
…and I think we’ve established quite clearly that you explicitly misrepresented the facts.
No. What we've established is that you are either incapable or unwilling to actually read what I have said or to be honest about others' arguments.
To put it bluntly Argent, you accused me of being staggeringly ignorant based on the bare assertion that we can detect the meaning of every word in that list.
No, I didn't. I accused you of being staggeringly ignorant for being unaware of the connection between activity in certain neurological centers of the brain and emotion.
Try again.
You subsequently changed your position all over the place
Nope.
Try again.
and then denied that you ever took that position in the first place
What position?
You’ve accused me of failing to provide any evidence to support my positions
You haven't.
and then blatantly ignored the evidence I did provide
You didn't provide any.
all the while taking endlessly vague positions yourself and arguing that you are under no obligation to substantiate a single one of them.
No. My position is perfectly clear. And I
am under no obligation to support it to you. Even here on the JREF, I am under no obligation to prove anything to anyone on any topic.
However, I usually do, because I care about my image here. I simply don't care about what
you think of me, and I don't feel any need to do your homework for you. The evidence for my claims is readily available. All you have to do is look up any of the hundreds of medical studies on emotion and brain activity.
As it is, I don't see any point in linking you to them. Odds are you wouldn't read them. Odds are even
better that, if you read them, you wouldn't understand them, or you would reject them out of hand because they conflict with your position.
Which isn't surprising, really. Most facts tend to contradict you when you're so obviously wrong.