mumblethrax
Species traitor
- Joined
- Apr 5, 2004
- Messages
- 5,168
Of the 19 fully democratic countries on that list, I count 10 constitutional monarchies, and 13 states that are in Western Europe.The majority of the world's fully democratic countries are monarchies.
I'm going to suggest that there are some better correlates than constitutional monarchy for success, with more plausible causal mechanisms at work.
That is a good reason. Monarchy is some antiquated Game of Thrones nonsense, fundamentally at odds with meritocratic values typically espoused in liberal democracies, even if the constitutional monarchies don't produce worse outcomes than other flavors in the democratic family.But it's 2017! (Iffen you're Justin Trudeau that's a reason)
But I have yet to see anyone produce any compelling evidence that ceremonial unelected heads of states actually do any of the things that they're meant to. Instead it's dubious correlations and just-so stories.
