• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Merged Artificial Intelligence

The executive order only requires the American Government to use the new term. Individuals aren't bound by it.
The executive order states: It is therefore the policy of my Administration that, to the maximum extent permitted by law, the executive branch shall use the terms “Super Intelligence” and “SI” in place of “Artificial Intelligence” and “AI” and will not acknowledge the usage of “Artificial Intelligence” and “AI” in any applicable setting.

So individuals referring to AI when communicating with the government will probably get a response stating, “AI? What’s that?”
 
This is all irrelevant. At every level the code is designed to be deterministic. If it isn't then it's buggy - especially if it does wildly unexpected things.
Technically that hasn't been true since 1946, when the first pseudo-random number generator (middle-square method) was invented. I mean, even in the earliest computers, Alan Turing had built arguably the first true random number generator based on counting electrical white noise.

But anyway, while LLMs do use random numbers to determine acceptable substitutes for a word, it doesn't change the fact that it does exactly what it is designed to do. A speech to text program, even one based on AI (such as the AWS or Google ones,) doesn't autonomously decide to send malformed URLs and headers to hack a site. Or if you just ask ChatGPT a question, even a hacking one, it doesn't just autonomously decide to send it to some site instead of giving you an answer. If it had the capability to send malformed HTTP packets to a site that hacked it, then it was given that capability by its programmers.

And knowing that it can do that, someone failed to isolate it from the outside world.
 
It is a marvellous place.
(based on an admittedly brief visit earlier this year)
Went through the area with a considerable naval force "a few years ago". Never made the news in the US insofar as I know. We kept the peace with strong promises of violence. Nothing more peaceful than a man with a MK. 48 torpedo up his butt.
 
Went through the area with a considerable naval force "a few years ago". Never made the news in the US insofar as I know. We kept the peace with strong promises of violence. Nothing more peaceful than a man with a MK. 48 torpedo up his butt.
Is this what you are talking about?

 
Does it specifically state "the executive branch"? That makes its applicability even more restricted.
It does, at least twice in the text. I mean, you can check the actual text, it was linked to on page 185 of the thread.

It's still dumb AF, but you don't have to bother unless you're employed by the federal government and you're doing it as part of your job, or submitting anything to a federal agency. Otherwise nobody will drag you in front of a holy inquisition for using our AI overlord's name in vain. You're not going to be stoned for saying Jehovah like in Monty Python's movie.
 
Last edited:
From bsky:
bafkreidycpbdqr64mj35dw7qrh3k5ugrtlr32ljr2o2lzazhodockgijq4
 
I just saw on a Facebook thread someone complain about using SI to create posts. Up until then everyone's been griping about AI images. I wanted to take that person to task for being a MAGA moron but that would have derailed the thread. I think that will be an uphill battle from now on.
SI already has existing meanings, like
Le Système International d'Unités, which translates to the International System of Units. [1, 2]
(Perhaps better known to Americans as "the Metric system".)
Sports Illustrated is another one.

I'm reminded of "newspeak" from 1984. How about Doubleplus Intelligence?
 
Last edited:
Spot on.

I'm kind of happy that I am able to answer "yes" though. I am 100% capable of getting through my day without AI.

I mean, you can get down in the weeds nitpicky with "but there's AI in google's search engine and all the ads you see and in a bunch of other stuff you can't avoid using!" Yeah, you're right, but that's irrelevant to the context in which the question was asked. I've been alive since computers were just learning to crawl. I spent my entire childhood in an era where the most advanced technology we had was a calculator - the yellowish one with the giant buttons, with the footprint of a kid's sized shoebox? Yeah, that one. I started using the internet before Yahoo! was first released. I started my career and spent my young adulthood in an era where there was no LLMs, no AI, and the most advanced trainable algorithm going was autocorrect that can't figure out that "meighborhood" is more likely to mean the people who live near me than it is to be a typo for "meteor", "mighty", or "meal".

I'll be fine if all AI were scrubbed overnight.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom