• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor has been arrested...

BBC story

Thames Valley Police has accepted that the search warrants it used to search Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor's homes earlier this year were unlawful, the High Court has heard.

The force said it accepted the "initial court's decision to issue warrants under the specific piece of legislation used was incorrect" when they were given permission to search the former prince's properties on 19 February.

 
Every time I see this thread, I think, "It's Battenberg, never forget!" Why you Euros like kings so much you'd install petty german nobility as them I do not understand. Don't you have proper English petty aristocrats!
 
Every time I see this thread, I think, "It's Battenberg, never forget!" Why you Euros like kings so much you'd install petty german nobility as them I do not understand. Don't you have proper English petty aristocrats!
As a popular Jacobite Scots song had it "
Wha the deil hae we gotten for a king,
But a wee wee German lairdie?"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wee_German_Lairdie (includes translation for the benighted savages those who need it) Might be interesting to see how easily Northumberland folk etc read it.
 
Last edited:
Every time I see this thread, I think, "It's Battenberg, never forget!" Why you Euros like kings so much you'd install petty german nobility as them I do not understand. Don't you have proper English petty aristocrats!
We've been outsourcing our monarchy since well before 1066, why would we stop now? Danes, Norman French, Dutch, German, Greek...
 
Its not just the English by the way(I am still a Jacobite and refuse to acknowledge them as kings of the Scots or Irish, the Welsh can have them though), most of the extant European royalty are minor branches of former German Aristocrats.
 
Every time I see this thread, I think, "It's Battenberg, never forget!" Why you Euros like kings so much you'd install petty german nobility as them I do not understand. Don't you have proper English petty aristocrats!

Naaah, not since 1066. Even the aristocracy has been outsourced to the Normans. There may be some odd lingering Saxon barons, but Billy the Bastard made sure all his invading mates were duly installed, hence a lot of Frenchified names among our remaining aristocrats and in a load of place names. Scotland is a different matter.

And that's before we get round to all the inbreeding, which our lot weren't as good at as some of the central Euro types
 
As a popular Jacobite Scots song had it "
Wha the deil hae we gotten for a king,
But a wee wee German lairdie?"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wee_German_Lairdie (includes translation for the benighted savages those who need it) Might be interesting to see how easily Northumberland folk etc read it.

Not much of a problem there, but I regularly listen to the likes of Dick Gaughan, Five Hand Reel and more.
 
We've been outsourcing our monarchy since well before 1066, why would we stop now? Danes, Norman French, Dutch, German, Greek...

And given Restore's approach to nationality, I feel that there's enough other criticism of the Monarchy without claiming they are not British.

Charles has lived all his life in the UK and his parents were legally recognised as British. I was going to talk about them being British citizens, but I don't know if that was applicable.
 
Naaah, not since 1066. Even the aristocracy has been outsourced to the Normans. There may be some odd lingering Saxon barons, but Billy the Bastard made sure all his invading mates were duly installed, hence a lot of Frenchified names among our remaining aristocrats and in a load of place names. Scotland is a different matter.

And that's before we get round to all the inbreeding, which our lot weren't as good at as some of the central Euro types
Robert The Bruce was descended from the Norman "de Brus" family.
 
Robert The Bruce was descended from the Norman "de Brus" family.

AFAIK Scotland was always more of a mixed bag, having some Norman types, as you say, squabbling along with the local clan chieftains, throwing in some Scandiwegian interlopers in the Northern and Western Isles and some other parts, the lingering remnants of Irishry.

And I'm not discussing the Borders, as that does require something the size of George MacDonald Fraser's Steel Bonnets just to begin to get a handle on it.
 
The article mentions that the police are now reviewing what evidence they may continue to possess. Does U.K. law work the same as in the U.S.? In U.S. law when a search warrant (or a search per se) is ruled unlawful, the defense may move in court to suppress the evidence resulting from the search. Evidentiary rulings are appealable out of a final verdict. This is my spouse's go-to strategy in most cases.
 
Robert The Bruce was descended from the Norman "de Brus" family.
Who's main residence was Skelton Castle and Estate, by Robert de Brus in 1140. Lots of places around Skelton and Brotton are named DeBrus something or other.

My school 'house' was DeBrus. Another was named Wharton, which is the name of the family that inherited the castle and Skelton Estate from the DeBrus family. Skelton Estate and Guisborough Estate own most land and farms in the area, along with most if the commercial property and old houses.

People I know that rent Estate houses say they are always kept in excellent condition and the rents are reasonable.

 
Last edited:
The article mentions that the police are now reviewing what evidence they may continue to possess. Does U.K. law work the same as in the U.S.? In U.S. law when a search warrant (or a search per se) is ruled unlawful, the defense may move in court to suppress the evidence resulting from the search. Evidentiary rulings are appealable out of a final verdict. This is my spouse's go-to strategy in most cases.
Usually (IANAL) but in this case the police are arguing that as they had a legal basis for a warrant, but went with an illegal one in error, they should be allowed to treat the warrants as valid and keep the evidence. No idea if this argument has legal merit or not. I'll await the likes of David Allen Green.
 
Usually (IANAL) but in this case the police are arguing that as they had a legal basis for a warrant, but went with an illegal one in error, they should be allowed to treat the warrants as valid and keep the evidence. No idea if this argument has legal merit or not. I'll await the likes of David Allen Green.
That's my understanding and view too. The difference between section 8 and section 9
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom