• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor has been arrested...

And that's before we get round to all the inbreeding, which our lot weren't as good at as some of the central Euro types
In fact, as I learned when I visited the ancestral castle of the House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha in Austria, all the square jaws and haemophilia were mostly all due to the efforts of one guy, who masterminded the whole marriage web like the Bene Gesserit trying to breed a Kwizatz Haderach.
 
That's my understanding and view too. The difference between section 8 and section 9
Having read the relevant legislation, I think it must equate to an assertion of privilege. Section 9 lays out additional steps that police must take before they may "access" material that the U.K. law identifies in a way very similar to privileged material under U.S. law.

I'm not sure what specific activity is meant by "access." The provision in section 8 naturally says a warrant may not be issued for excluded or privileged information. But if section 9 is contemplated as a basis for issuing a warrant, then it must be possible under U.K. law for a warrant to be issued for privileged information under special circumstances—i.e., you know it's there and you specifically go get it after a judge tells you it's okay.

In U.S. law this can't happen. You can never get a warrant for validly privileged information. This is an interpretation of the Fourth Amendment in the U.S. Constitution. Because searches inevitably obtain information that is responsive to the warrant commingled with privileged information, an ill-named "taint team" of attorneys reviews the seized evidence for privilege before turning it over to the prosecutors.

The defendant may later argue that information is privileged and therefore may not be shown to the jury. This is usually done in an in camera inspection and hearing where the judge personally decides the matter of privilege. In this case the presumption is that the warrant was validly issued and that the prosecutors acted initially in good faith to eliminate privileged material. It sounds as if Andy (not you @Andy_Ross) wants to argue that material seized in the search was in fact privileged, that police should have known it was privileged, and did not follow the proper process to "access" that privileged information.

U.S. law has a number of similar ways to salvage evidence collected according to warrant that is later deemed legally defective. For example we have a "good faith" principle that says if police genuinely believed the search described in the warrant was lawful, they might still be able to use the evidence.

Now I'm interested to see how this pans out in U.K. law.
 
The article mentions that the police are now reviewing what evidence they may continue to possess. Does U.K. law work the same as in the U.S.? In U.S. law when a search warrant (or a search per se) is ruled unlawful, the defense may move in court to suppress the evidence resulting from the search. Evidentiary rulings are appealable out of a final verdict. This is my spouse's go-to strategy in most cases.
We don't have the "fruit of the poisonous tree" doctrine in the UK.

In this case, if I understood the summary on TV (so, plenty of scope for misinformation and misunderstanding!) the police applied for warrants under two bases, one was correct and one was incorrect; the CPS approved the incorrect one.

I'm not sure what TAFKAP hopes to gain from the legal action, since I think that what ensued from the search is still valid.
 
We don't have the "fruit of the poisonous tree" doctrine in the UK.
I didn't think so. That's the question I was interested in exploring.

The U.S. doctrine of searches, search warrants and the whole jurisprudence around the Fourth Amendment derive from the bad experience the American colonists had with Great Britain's "general warrants." Hence it does not surprise me that American practice is considerably narrower. Nevertheless there are curable defects for searches in U.S. law as well. When a public defender wins a motion to suppress evidence, it's still a matter for celebration.

In this case, if I understood the summary on TV (so, plenty of scope for misinformation and misunderstanding!) the police applied for warrants under two bases, one was correct and one was incorrect; the CPS approved the incorrect one.
I'm still hoping to understand how the two sections of law work together. Section 9 seems to presume activity also under Section 8. Sadly my spouse is no help, not being a U.K. attorney and generally taking the position, "Didn't we fight a war so that I don't have to know this?"

The way I read the law, Section 9 cannot be invoked separately from Section 8 as a basis for obtaining a search warrant. The way I read it, Section 9 applies as an exception to Section 8 when privileged material is the target of the search. An extra showing before the magistrate is required in addition to the showing under Section 8. If an application is made under both sections in the hope of seizing privileged material, but someone deems the Section 9 portion unnecessary (i.e., the evidence to be seized is not believed to be excluded or privileged), then I can see how a court might later determine that a Section 9 application had in fact been required.

In the U.S., a warrant is issued simply upon the sworn declaration of an officer. If the declaration alleges sufficient cause upon sufficient facts, the magistrate grants the warrant. If the warrant is deficient only in inconsequential particulars but otherwise in good faith, then the evidence obtained may still be admissible. But for example if the allegations in the warrant were knowingly false or misleading, then the defect in the warrant is not curable and the "fruits" of the search are inadmissible.

The only exception to privilege under U.S. law is the so-called crime-fraud exception. Overcoming the presumption of privilege may occur when there is other evidence that the privilege is being used to hide evidence of crimes or fraud jointly perpetrated by the parties to the privilege. When so alleged and supported by fact, the magistrate rules prior to the search that the material is not validly privileged and may be seized.

I'm not sure what TAFKAP hopes to gain from the legal action, since I think that what ensued from the search is still valid.
If there is little to no chance that the legal posture of the warrant will result in suppressing evidence, then I don't see the point either. A criminal defendant is entitled to a vigorous defense. But I don't see how this situation would resolve for Andrew as it might under U.S. evidence law.
 
King pays Andrew's £1.5m repair bill on Royal Lodge.

King Charles has paid Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor's £1.5m repair bill that's owed for the poor condition of Mountbatten-Windsor's former home at Royal Lodge in Windsor.

It's understood that the money is coming from the King's private income - and will cover what Andrew owes his former landlords, the Crown Estate, on leaving Royal Lodge.

There was a total £1.8m penalty for the "dilapidations" to Royal Lodge, but that has been reduced by the £300,000 Mountbatten-Windsor would have received for an early surrender of his lease.

 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom