ozeco41
Philosopher
Given that the wings and their fuel load have a lot of mass - i.e. wings will do much if not all of their own cutting through the perimeter columns - the actual differential force to cause wing separation/shearing will be much lower than some folk seem to be expecting.Regarding the wings snapping off: As a pilot (including 757s and 767s), I don't think so. The wings are virtually "one" as they are "tied" together through/underneath the fuselage with the wing spar. And even if the wing spar were to "snap," the wings of the airplane would already virtually entirely be in the building in a swept back fashion within a nano-second longer than if they had not snapped at all, i.e., it would make no real difference.
Get your qualitative model of the free body physics right people.
And - no I'm not about to do the maths. I said "qualitative".
