I’m curious about the state of solar…and about the development referred to in your quote. I’ve been following, rather loosely, changes in the renewable energy sector for some time. Another notable one was software created by a Harvard group that provided a detailed map, by date, location, and a number of other variables, of the solar power potential of every square meter of rooftop in Boston. They claimed it could be scaled for any location in the world.
Question: I’ve heard of incremental increases in efficiency (single digits and, occasionally, double digits)….but 30% !?!?!? Assuming the research you quoted can be applied, does that represent what might be regarded as a tipping point? Does solar then become not just more viable than conventional…much sufficiently more viable as to make the investment a no-brainer?
IOW…I have a business with a warehouse in Southern Georgia or Northern Alaska or Shanghai or Timbuktu… and I can go to a bank and say ‘this will cost me ‘x’ dollars, …based on these conservative calculations I will get my investment back (in energy savings) in 3 years…lend me the money!’