GreyFox said:
On the other hand...Who really knows anything about the job they are doing.
Yes, that's what stops me being
too harsh in my criticism of them. I've been pretty unimpressed by their performances based on the reports that have come out, and I get the feeling Nencini is definitely not Dalla Vedova's biggest fan, but on the other hand I don't know for sure how effective they were since I wasn't there. I do picture Bongiorno rolling her eyes and muttering under her breath every time one of Amanda's lawyers gets up to speak, though.
Having read bits and pieces from Crini's closing, I can't imagine they were very much worse than him anyway (not unless Crini came across much better in person than he does in writing!).
Everyone sit down.... I'm about to say something nice about Barbie Nadeau.
She was the featured, on-site video correspondent for CNN the night of the Dec 2009 conviction at the hands of Judge Massei. Despite all the truly knuckleheaded things she's said about this travesty of justice, that night she got it 100% correct. She tends to stray from the facts a wee bit when under the thrall of The Beast or with Winterbottom and eating overpriced salads these days with Kate Beckinsale....
But that night she said to CNN, "The prosecution case was weak, but the defence case was weaker. This could very well be overturned at appeal."
The rest is from memory, and everyone here can head over to YouTube to find this clip, but she also said something to the effect that the Sollecito defence team and the Knox defence team were unco-ordinated. She implied something that was actually great advice to the pair, who had just been found guilty of something they'd not done....
... she implied that the two defence teams needed to start acting as one. Indeed, at the Hellmann trial, Biongiorno did come up with that wonderful soundbyte, "She's not bad, like Jessica Rabbit she's just drawn that way," which, when you think of it, could have fallen completely flat, like Knox wearing the "All you need is love" T-shirt to court.
There's no way of knowing beforehand if the soundbyte will schmeck....
But the sound byte also is no replacement, as Nadeau observed, for a coordinated defence. Sound bytes alone will not cut it. Esp. when a weak prosecution effort is allowed to win.... in that case the defence should not need to even prepare a defence! But in the uneven Italian playing field, Sollecito and Knox either hang together or hang separately, as the saying goes.
I, therefore, find it hard to criticize ANY of the lawyers, Once forces are joined, they all become role players. And the point is not to be a good lawyer or a bad lawyer, the point is to be a winning lawyer.