• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Presidential Primaries 2016

Dems fall in love, Republicans fall in line. I don't think any Dems are really going to fall in love with Hillary. Jeb might be the "fall in line" candidate for the GOP.
My suspicion is that TeaPartiers will not support Jeb as they didn't support Romney. Jeb's mexican wife might pick up a few latino votes, and FL cubanos seemed to like him ok.

He's strictly Establishment, the last thing reps need again.
 
My suspicion is that TeaPartiers will not support Jeb as they didn't support Romney. Jeb's mexican wife might pick up a few latino votes, and FL cubanos seemed to like him ok.

He's strictly Establishment, the last thing reps need again.

I admire the Tea Partier types for sticking to their guns despite losing time and time again. Some of us are willing to compromise in order to win.

We are the Establishment party, the last time I looked. But if we keep losing that may no longer apply.
 
And Polaris staying home on Election Day to watch videos of skateboarding injuries.

Better than throwing a vote away on either of those dynastic douchebags.

I wouldn't give any candidate extra points for being "dynastic" but at the same time I'm not sure why I should hold it against them either. Why not give them the same consideration as any other candidate? Michele Bachmann is not from a political dynasty but I would probably vote for a lot of dynastic candidates before I would vote for her.
 
I wouldn't give any candidate extra points for being "dynastic" but at the same time I'm not sure why I should hold it against them either. Why not give them the same consideration as any other candidate? Michele Bachmann is not from a political dynasty but I would probably vote for a lot of dynastic candidates before I would vote for her.


Good lord, yes. I think I'd vote for a Bonaparte first!
 
I wouldn't give any candidate extra points for being "dynastic" but at the same time I'm not sure why I should hold it against them either. Why not give them the same consideration as any other candidate? Michele Bachmann is not from a political dynasty but I would probably vote for a lot of dynastic candidates before I would vote for her.

I hold it against them because of all the connections made by dynasties. I think frequent turnover in all offices should be mandatory to prevent corruption and fiefdoms. I simply think dynasties are bad for democracy.

Yeah, I'd vote for one of those two before Bachmann, but that's a borderline Godwin!
 
I hold it against them because of all the connections made by dynasties. I think frequent turnover in all offices should be mandatory to prevent corruption and fiefdoms. I simply think dynasties are bad for democracy.

Yeah, I'd vote for one of those two before Bachmann, but that's a borderline Godwin!


And if you think that family dynasties are the worst kind of dynasty in our government, then you've been suckered.
 
And if you think that family dynasties are the worst kind of dynasty in our government, then you've been suckered.

You'll have to clarify that for me. I think I know what you mean but I want to be sure.
 
You'll have to clarify that for me. I think I know what you mean but I want to be sure.


I mean to say that there are long-term, organized vested interests that are more of a threat in the political process than any particular individuals who happen to have familial connections to past Presidents. It's not like the Clinton family or the Bush family have the kind of influence as the fossil fuels industry, the prison industry, the arms manufacturers (military and personal), agribusiness, mining concerns, big pharma, Goldman Sachs, etc, etc, etc.

When I think about a candidate, I ask who will help more (or harm less) in the fight to make business interests in this country compete in an equitable marketplace, blah, blah, blah -- you get the idea. I don't worry that Hill is Bill's squeeze or that Jeb is the W's bro or that Franklin is Teddy's fifth cousin.
 
Last edited:
I'm hearing some scuttlebutt out of Virginia that their governor is embroiled in some sort of brouhaha over charging personal expenses to the taxpayers - some kind of colonic detox treatment and pet vitamins, it is being reported. Not enough to take his name off the list yet, but will require some monitoring to see if it blows over.

It's a complete nothingburger. Byzantine reimbursement rules paying for mouthwash, but not bodywash. It's a few hundred bucks, and no sane person cares.

I'm not sure about this particular thing, but I've seen some stories about McDonnell and his wife getting, well let's just say they have a very cozy relationship with certain monied interests. Now there's this:

Donor bought Rolex watch for Virginia Gov. McDonnell, people familiar with gift say

A prominent political donor purchased a Rolex watch for Virginia Gov. Robert F. McDonnell, according to two people with knowledge of the gift, and the governor did not disclose it in his annual financial filings.

The $6,500 luxury watch was provided by wealthy businessman Jonnie R. Williams Sr., the people said. He is the chief executive of dietary supplement manufacturer Star Scientific and the person who paid for catering at the wedding of the governor’s daughter. The people spoke on the condition of anonymity because of an ongoing federal investigation into the relationship between Williams and the McDonnell family.

In addition his wife had a cushy paid position as an "advisor" to a charity sponsored by a coal company. I don't know if anyone cares about that kind of thing, but the "gift" of a $6,500 might be considered taxable income? IANAL so I'm not sure about that but if there's "an ongoing federal investigation" it means the potential for some criminal charges to result. I think it's a potential problem for him unless the investigation ends with no charges filed. Even then, it looks bad.
 
I'm not sure about this particular thing, but I've seen some stories about McDonnell and his wife getting, well let's just say they have a very cozy relationship with certain monied interests. Now there's this:

Donor bought Rolex watch for Virginia Gov. McDonnell, people familiar with gift say

In addition his wife had a cushy paid position as an "advisor" to a charity sponsored by a coal company. I don't know if anyone cares about that kind of thing, but the "gift" of a $6,500 might be considered taxable income? IANAL so I'm not sure about that but if there's "an ongoing federal investigation" it means the potential for some criminal charges to result. I think it's a potential problem for him unless the investigation ends with no charges filed. Even then, it looks bad.


I was referring to the household expenses kerfuffle. Of course the receipt of expensive gifts is another thing altogether.
 
I was referring to the household expenses kerfuffle. Of course the receipt of expensive gifts is another thing altogether.

I thought that's what you meant, just wanted to point out that there are other more significant scandals brewing, in case anyone reading the thread wasn't aware yet.
 
Based upon the latest shenanigans coming out of Texas, I get the feeling that Rick Perry's going to make another run for it.

:popcorn1
 
I hold it against them because of all the connections made by dynasties. I think frequent turnover in all offices should be mandatory to prevent corruption and fiefdoms. I simply think dynasties are bad for democracy.

I'm in agreement with not voting for immediate family of prior Presidents. Clinton also has a strike against her with me for being old, I know that the Presidency is a terrible physical strain and I'd rather the younger and healthier got the post.
 
Oh boy. Ted Nugent? That would be awesome, but while he's a welcome addition to the list, I gotta file him in the never gonna happen drawer.


GOP
P. Ryan
C. Christie
M. Rubio
J. Bush
M. Bachmann
W. "M." Romney
S. Palin (again of Fox News)
M. Huckabee
T. Pawlenty
J. Thune
S. Walker
D. Trump, President of Never Gonna Run for President (and Celebrity Jokebag Contingent)
R. Paul (le fils)
J. DeMint
N. Haley
S. Martinez
R. Santorum
M. Pence
C. Rice
R. "T." Cruz
P. "B." Jindal
J. Brewer
J. Kasich
B. Carson
R. "B." McDonnell
J. Huntsman
T. Nugent (Celebrity Jokebag Contingent)

Dem
H. Clinton
J. Biden
M. Warner
M. O’Malley
A. Klobuchar
C. Booker
A. Villaraigosa
B. Schweitzer
K. Gillibrand
A. Cuomo
R. Emmanuel
M. Cantwell
E. Warren
Ju. Castro
D. Patrick
H. Dean

Indeterminate
M. Bloomberg
J. Ventura
 
Oh boy. Ted Nugent? That would be awesome, but while he's a welcome addition to the list, I gotta file him in the never gonna happen drawer.
Oh, absolutely. He's full of himself and .... well, you know. I just thought it was interesting in the short term.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom