RandFan
Mormon Atheist
- Joined
- Dec 18, 2001
- Messages
- 60,135
This completely ignores my post. It ignores all of the benefits I listed. It ignores at least a half million dollars on average. If you told me some person was awarded a half million dollars for his time and effort I would never ever call that person a slave. I went through public education and I'm grateful to it. I grew up on a farm and the only way I could escape the drudgery of working on the farm was to go to school. I didn't love it but I can't say that they were task masters the way my parents were. Had I gone to private/parochial school my experience would have been the same or worse (I have a close friend who went to Catholic school and regrets it)."More likely than those who drop out" is like saying that slaves who stayed on the plantation ate better than runaways. Not "more likely to get a job" than children in independent or parochial schools.
Joshua Angrist
"Randomized Trials and Quasi-Experiments in Education Research"
NBER Reporter, summer, 2003
Not compared to homeschoolers.
Marvin Minsky (Interview, Communications of the Association for Computing Machinery, 1994-July)
Albert Einstein
"Force and Fear Have No Place in Education"Albert Einstein
"Autobiographical Notes"
Albert Einstein: Philosopher-Scientist, Paul Schilpp, ed. (1951)Note the comment on the incentive structure that compulsory instruction creates.
A.) I cannot at all relate to what it is your saying. No one is truly free. Life impinges itself on us whether we like it or not. Those that don't avail themselves of education often end up homeless or poor. They are not able to make the same decisions like going on vacation or going to the theatre B.) Anyone who receives a half million dollars for their efforts isn't a slave. They have been freed. Free to make choices a poor person cannot. Free from want and the hell that is poverty.
Until you can respond to what I'm saying you are wasting time. Particularly with these appeals to authority. Einstein? Well, Newton believed in Alchemy so I suppose that settles that.
Get back to me when you can figure out how a slave gets nights and weeks off. Gets the entire summer off. And when that person becomes an adult he or she will have greater freedom from want. Greater choices in life for increased well-being, etc., etc..
Your argument is simply incoherent and I assume you have zero interest in reading my posts and/or responding to them directly. The premises are inconvenient so you ignore them.
Fine.