The definite article "the" can indicate that you are talking about specific subsets. (Perhaps it means "The Americans" attending a conference, for example.) It's one of those qualifiers I spoke of. (My list of examples was not meant to be all inclusive. There are many other such words.)
If you remove the context of "the" pointing to a specific subset, then it logically refers to all Americans and all Russians.
This is very basic logic stuff.
I'm glad we cleared that up:
Willard Mitt Romney said:
The Palestinians have no interest whatsoever in establishing peace
Source:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-19637631
(In case you don't recognize that link, it's the one cited in the OP of this thread.)
... That's why you should admit at the very least that Romney was painting with too broad a brush.
Yeah, no, not really. But you should probably admit that Romney wasn't painting with nearly as broad a brush as you thought, and that you've been arguing in bad faith this whole time.
ETA: And I notice you never did answer my question: If Romney was talking only about Hamas, why did he attribute this attitude to "Palestinians"?
The Palestinians, remember?
I didn't answer the question because I thought it was self-evident from my posts. He probably wasn't talking only about Hamas--there's more than one powerful and influential Palestinian faction that has no interest whatsoever in establishing peace, you know. Which is exactly the kind of situation where a broader collective term comes in handy: instead of having to list them out one by one, he can simply refer to them altogether as "
the Palestinians".
He doesn't have to list them out by name, any more than I have to list out, "senior State department officials, Congressional leadership, the President's national security advisor, several members of the Cabinet, and the President himself" instead of simply saying, "THE Americans want tougher sanctions on Iran".
And again, who is changing the subject here? The subject is Romney's statement quoted in the OP. In that statement, Romney uses the term the "Palestinians" and not "Hamas".
FTFY.
The subject is your bad-faith interpretation of that statement to mean "all Palestinians", rather than "the Palestinians with the power and influence to pursue peace with Israel (or not, as the case may be, and almost surely is)". I gave Hamas as one example, because I thought that it would be accepted even by you as a group of Palestinians to whom Romney's characterization applies, and to which he could plausibly have been referring.
I'm sure you can understand the idea of giving few examples:
My list of examples was not meant to be all inclusive. There are many other such words.
And many other such groups, too.