Alferd_Packer
Philosopher
- Joined
- Jul 3, 2007
- Messages
- 8,746
How about good ol' fashioned moral clarity?
From Mitt Romney?
The man has never demonstrated moral clarity in his business dealings.
How about good ol' fashioned moral clarity?
From Mitt Romney?
The man has never demonstrated moral clarity in his business dealings.
I don't see how Romney's comments could actually help with relations between Palestine and Israel so I think his words should be taken as typical self serving political pandering.
Sigh.
It's not a question of "would this particular soundbite pour oil on the troubled waters of the middle east", it just showed that he correctly understood the main obstacle to a lasting peace.
Having correctly understood the situation, one can try to come up with a solution or simply try to prevent it getting worse. If one refuses to understand something, how can you hope to deal with it intelligently?
He "correctly understands" nothing.
Look, I may not know the answer to the Palestinian Peace Process. I may not have a clue, in fact. But I know for damn sure the way forward is not to throw up your hands and say it can't be done, blaming one of the parties for being uninterested. Especially coming from a confirmed dilettante like Romney.
This is the same kind of hare-brained thinking that gave us UN Ambassador Bolton. It's not constructive. It's the hallmark of an inveterate chickenhawk. That, frankly, is the last thing we need.
There's other options as well. For example, do nothing. Basically a continuation of what Obama is doing now, they've made little effort to do anything since the Mitchell talks broke down early last year.True. The third option is head-in-the-sand isolationism.
Sigh.
It's not a question of "would this particular soundbite pour oil on the troubled waters of the middle east", it just showed that he correctly understood the main obstacle to a lasting peace.
Having correctly understood the situation, one can try to come up with a solution or simply try to prevent it getting worse. If one refuses to understand something, how can you hope to deal with it intelligently?
I think you are factually wrong on this point. I doubt if any Palestinians define "peace" that way. That might be what some (relatively few) want, but I doubt that that's how even they define the word "peace".The problem is that many Palestinians define "peace" as the destruction of Israel and the slaughter of the Jews.
I doubt it would be true if you say that, though.So you could say they have a desire for peace, but not by the usual definition.
He "correctly understands" nothing.
Look, I may not know the answer to the Palestinian Peace Process. I may not have a clue, in fact. But I know for damn sure the way forward is not to throw up your hands and say it can't be done, blaming one of the parties for being uninterested. Especially coming from a confirmed dilettante like Romney.
Sigh.
It's not a question of "would this particular soundbite pour oil on the troubled waters of the middle east", it just showed that he correctly understood the main obstacle to a lasting peace.
If one side isn't interested in peace, then there will not be a stable peace.
If we understand that Hamas et al don't want peace, then we can look at what needs to change so that we can have peace or how to contain them so that it doesn't get out of control.
If we willfully refuse to identify the problem, then we doom our efforts at a solution to failure.
Your way is the way of futility. And unending bloodshed.
What Romney said is factually not true. There are indeed many Palestinians who would like to establish peace. And again, I know 100% for sure that there are even some Palestinians committed to non-violent means to achieve their aims. So Romney is simply wrong.
You admit that you don't know what will work. So how can you know that anything will work? And if nothing will work right now (and decades of failure suggest that's the case), how is not working because we're not trying any different from not working even though we're trying? I mean, aside from the fact that the former is easier, which, frankly, is something to recommend it.
Most pathetic excuse for diplomatic retreat I've ever seen.
"It's Easier" is not a compelling political doctrine.
You left of a rather important part of the argument. That's dishonest.
Of course they don't want peace. A terrorist organization with an explicitly genocidal agenda won a landslide victory.
The few people who try to work for peace with Israel get branded traitors and killed.
If we understand that Hamas et al don't want peace, then we can look at what needs to change so that we can have peace or how to contain them so that it doesn't get out of control.