• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

The Odd Lies of Paul Ryan

I think this is the same thing that happened in 04 to the Dems. Since they just wanted to beat bush, they chose a very stale Kerry. In the Repubs frenzy to beat Obama, they chose less than ideal candidates, possibly.

I strongly suspect an underlying problem is what we do to candidates that run, especially for President. Once upon a time a relatively minor official in even tamer times asked, after going through a partisan witchunt and found innocent of all wrongdoing, something to the effect of: 'where do I go to get my reputation back?'


Hell.

:p
 
OK. That's a lie.

Opposing any funds, but asking for your share of the funds that get doled out isn't a lie, but if you say you didn't ask for them, and you did, it's a lie.
Yup:
Ryan said:
I’m not one [of those] people who votes for something then writes to the government to ask them to send us money. I did not request any stimulus money.
 
Did he say they did it with form letters sent to the Department of Energy
Form letter? I can't distinguish it from a non form letter. Is there even such a thing as a Paul Ryan excuse that's too flimsy for you to parrot?

and the such run by an opposition Administration where they could be competitively judged on their merits?
Huh?
 
Form letter? I can't distinguish it from a non form letter. Is there even such a thing as a Paul Ryan excuse that's too flimsy for you to parrot?

*sigh*

It ought to be a big clue that the letter itself isn't what gets something funded by the government. Lemme put it this way, do you suppose you could copy that letter, change the address, and send it to the Department of Energy and have them cut you a check for $21 million? No, because it's the (probably quite extensive) proposal attached to this letter that the Department of Energy (or whatever) needs to see. This is just a formality, probably so the DoE knows they're not dealing with a waste of their time from someone pretending to have a proposal and/or so that the proposal is routed correctly through the labyrinth of government bureaucracy.


It's also possible for a congressmen to 'decide' that the whatever in his district needs government funds and have that entity receive money 'earmarked' for that purpose. It can be worthwhile spending, but lemme put it this way: it's been abused in the past, that's why they call it 'pork.' This on the other hand is simply a request for the proper authority to determine if the proposal is the best allocation of funds when compared to proposals from all over the country. Do you see the difference?
 
Is there even such a thing as a Paul Ryan excuse that's too flimsy for you to parrot?
It ought to be a big clue that the letter itself isn't what gets something funded by the government. Lemme put it this way, do you suppose you could copy that letter, change the address, and send it to the Department of Energy and have them cut you a check for $21 million? No, because it's the (probably quite extensive) proposal attached to this letter that the Department of Energy (or whatever) needs to see. This is just a formality, probably so the DoE knows they're not dealing with a waste of their time from someone pretending to have a proposal and/or so that the proposal is routed correctly through the labyrinth of government bureaucracy.
Apparently not.
 
Not Ryan. Mitt. I should have said "What a pair!"

And lest we forget - the guy's got no manners. The impracticality of eating off an ironing board (you'd have to stand) says to me this was a lifestyle thing. I'll bet they still do this, today! How'd you like to see them hosting a state dinner and having the Shah of Rammalammadingdong eating tuna noodle casserole off of the ironing board in the East Wing?


ETA: :D
 
Last edited:
I think this is the same thing that happened in 04 to the Dems. Since they just wanted to beat bush, they chose a very stale Kerry. In the Repubs frenzy to beat Obama, they chose less than ideal candidates, possibly.

True, Kerry could have used a personality implant, much like Mitt. Is it something in the Massachusetts water?

BTW, rumor is that Kerry is going to replace Hillary as Secretary of State in Obama's second term. Probably a good place for him. He knows foreign policy about as well as anyone in government today, and it's okay to be boring in that job.
 
True, Kerry could have used a personality implant, much like Mitt. Is it something in the Massachusetts water?

BTW, rumor is that Kerry is going to replace Hillary as Secretary of State in Obama's second term. Probably a good place for him. He knows foreign policy about as well as anyone in government today, and it's okay to be boring in that job.

I just hope Biden doesn't run in 2016. That would be sad. My guess is they made him sign a non-compete agreement when he got the VP nod.
 
I just hope Biden doesn't run in 2016. That would be sad. My guess is they made him sign a non-compete agreement when he got the VP nod.

You think there is a chance he would?

Speaking as an interested / fascinated Johnny Foreigner fae Scotland this election cycle has struck me not so much as Obama winning a second term, as the Republicans preparing for 2016 (Bush).

Again, as a follower of American politics from across the waters, I have been shocked by the candidates running for the Rep. nomination - their quality, and I stand to be corrected by knowledgeable Americans closer to this than I, must have been the poorest of any election cycle of the last what? 20 years?

Romney (the guy who couldn't beat the guy who couldn't beat Obama) is taking a bullet for the team, until Jeb runs and wins. And he will win. Twice.

So who is going to take, or bite, the bullet in four years for the Dems? Or even eight years?

Only once in my admittedly short time following these elections with any degree of interest (incumbent Clinton onwards) have I seen an American politician on tv and thought suddenly, "This guy will be President" - and that was Gavin Newsom. We shall see. But at 44, if he has any intention of running surely he must be thinking about 3 cycles from now.

Fascinating (for me anyway).

Mal.
 
I just hope Biden doesn't run in 2016. That would be sad. My guess is they made him sign a non-compete agreement when he got the VP nod.

Biden will likely run in 2016, and he'll be a factor, but I suspect he won't be the nominee or even one of the top three. The man just can't give a decent speech, and these days, that means everything.
 
So who is going to take, or bite, the bullet in four years for the Dems? Or even eight years?

Only once in my admittedly short time following these elections with any degree of interest (incumbent Clinton onwards) have I seen an American politician on tv and thought suddenly, "This guy will be President" - and that was Gavin Newsom. We shall see. But at 44, if he has any intention of running surely he must be thinking about 3 cycles from now.

Fascinating (for me anyway).

Mal.

I guess Gore didn't do too bad although I didn't care for him. Wouldn't vote for Biden, but he's got a son in politics (State Attorney General somewhere) who seems sharp. I'll check out Gavin Newsom, the name doesn't ring any bells. (Took a look, I like, I like -- maybe if he gets the governorship in the meanwhile he might have a shot in 2016 at the presidency.)

My best guess is a newer face, one we haven't seen much of and no Hillary, or Kerry. It's a fun game to play though. I'm atrocious at it, but I still like it.

There's a woman senator I like, Kirsten Gillibrand, a dem out of New York. Don't know much about her, but she's energetic, youngish and blond. Much better looking than Hillary ever was.
 
There's a woman senator I like, Kirsten Gillibrand, a dem out of New York. Don't know much about her, but she's energetic, youngish and blond. Much better looking than Hillary ever was.
Ironically, she replaced Hillary as a NY senator when the latter left for more upmarket pickings. How doubly ironic it would then be if she were to step up to the level of presidential consideration over Ms. Clinton.
 
Ironically, she replaced Hillary as a NY senator when the latter left for more upmarket pickings. How doubly ironic it would then be if she were to step up to the level of presidential consideration over Ms. Clinton.

If I were a single issue voter, irony would be it.
 
And lest we forget - the guy's got no manners. The impracticality of eating off an ironing board (you'd have to stand) says to me this was a lifestyle thing. I'll bet they still do this, today! How'd you like to see them hosting a state dinner and having the Shah of Rammalammadingdong eating tuna noodle casserole off of the ironing board in the East Wing?


ETA: :D

Classic.

:D
 
Biden will likely run in 2016, and he'll be a factor, but I suspect he won't be the nominee or even one of the top three. The man just can't give a decent speech, and these days, that means everything.

What didn't you like about it?
 
Somebody needs to fact check Fact Check.



Faulted Obama for failing to deliver a 2008 campaign promise to keep a Wisconsin plant open. It closed less than a month before Obama took office.

Fact: The Janesville plant stayed open until April of 2009, as this news report from a local TV station reveals:



See also a February 2009 news article:

The Janesville plant closed a month before Obama took office but there was a single shift still at the plant for a further few months to finish off an order and close up the plant. The decision was made and the workers paid their severance before Obama was president.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom