Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)
- Joined
- Sep 10, 2006
- Messages
- 15,302
That's not a lie.
Saying "I oppose pork barrel spending, but as long as we are doing it, it might as well be in my district." is not lying. It's just being realistic.
Sadly, this kind of tactic is often used on people as a club to force them to go along with pork barrel spending. It's basically telling Congresscritters that they have to support the pork barrel, or they won't get any for themselves.
I'm going to have to disagree. I'd say it is unprincipled. If you don't think it is good for the government to fund X, then you should be trying to get the government to fund X in your district.
(And it turns out he did specifically deny making any requests, so he knew it was unprincipled and lied to try to save face.)