• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Trayvon Martin, Vigilante Justice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Order Revoking Bond



Lester's scolding aside, the court will have to grant bond at the new hearing - though probably at a substantially higher amount.
The charge is a non-bondable crime.

That's why another Arthur hearing has to occur.

I wouldn't bank on the fact Lester is going to let him out. He has plenty of reason not to.
 
What makes you say that?

Florida is a right to bail state.

Constitution of the State Of Florida said:
Unless charged with a capital offense or an offense punishable by life imprisonment and the proof of guilt is evident or the presumption is great, every person charged with a crime or violation of municipal or county ordinance shall be entitled to pretrial release on reasonable conditions. If no conditions of release can reasonably protect the community from risk of physical harm to persons, assure the presence of the accused at trial, or assure the integrity of the judicial process, the accused may be detained.

I'll have to read the precedent on integrity of the judicial process, but there are reasonable remedies for the state, so it's kind of a moot point anyway.
 
Order Revoking Bond



Lester's scolding aside, the court will have to grant bond at the new hearing - though probably at a substantially higher amount.

From his order revoking bond:

"The court would have been authorized under State vs. Arthur to keep the defendant in jail custody without granting a bond"

So no, I do not think you are correct.
 
Last edited:
That order revoking bond is very scary for GZ, imo.

It's the most worrying thing I have seen yet for GZ's chances of staying out of jail.

When the judge says the evidence of murder 2 is strong against you...I think you're in trouble.

When he also says you don't respect the law or the judicial process, your chances really look dim.

I think I will now throw out the idea of any dismissals before trial from this judge.

Two things: one, it can now be considered a fact that Shelly lied. The judge specifically says she testified falsely. When the judge in your case says this, it's very, very bad. Hopefully, people can stop trying to find a tortured way in which she was technically not lying. She lied.

Second, while the judge does consider the passport issue resolved, thanks to the State Department, previous comments that he had "laughed the prosecutor out of the courtroom" were wildly wrong.

Seeing as how this shows a willingness to lie, a failure to respect the court or law enforcement, and a pattern of poor judgment, I hope that any future speculation about what steps George or his wife would be willing to take in order to benefit themselves won't be summarily dismissed.
 
Bah!

I think Lester is just scolding GZ, and not much has actually changed for GZ.

I don't think the judge has even reviewed the evidence in the case.

GZ will get bond.

Although as I said earlier, I think it might work out better for GZ if he didn't get bond.
 
There are no blanks to be filled in. He asked for an estimate. That he didn't specify what form that estimate should take means any estimate would suffice.

If I asked someone if they had a dog, and they said they didn't have a dog, but later it turns out they did, they can't claim not to have lied because I didn't specifically ask if they had a brown dog.

And hey, while you're dishonestly parsing words in some half-assed attempt to deny reality, what's your explanation for this lie:

Unfortunately, calling other people dishonest is probably just one of the many byproducts of conformation bias. He asked her if she had "any estimate" and she said she didn't, meaning she didn't have any particular estimate in her head, or in her phone, or pocket, or purse, etc.

Oh, and that dog don't hunt, as they say in these parts. I haven't seen any evidence she later turned out to have the estimate she was asked if she had in court.
 
Bah!

I think Lester is just scolding GZ, and not much has actually changed for GZ.

I don't think the judge has even reviewed the evidence in the case.

GZ will get bond.

Although as I said earlier, I think it might work out better for GZ if he didn't get bond.

I think you live in a fantasy world.
 
This seems off to me. Police search people's cars all the time under flimsy circumstances. Often times, if they really don't have the legal right to search, they would have just asked him:

"Sir, you said you drove here. Where's your truck?"

"Right there".

"Sir, do you mind if I take a look inside? Are these your keys?"

Then you've waived whatever right you had to refuse the search. There's no indication that George refused a search of the vehicle. But police could have asked.

I believe that they had no reason to search the truck, they took him into custody and interviewed him at the station.

Now had he run over Trayvon with the truck.
 
Unfortunately, calling other people dishonest is probably just one of the many byproducts of conformation bias. He asked her if she had "any estimate" and she said she didn't, meaning she didn't have any particular estimate in her head, or in her phone, or pocket, or purse, etc.

Oh, and that dog don't hunt, as they say in these parts. I haven't seen any evidence she later turned out to have the estimate she was asked if she had in court.
Wow. Just wow.
 
"The court would have been authorized under State vs. Arthur to keep the defendant in jail custody without granting a bond"

But he didn't. Hrmmm...


Here's what the District Court has to say:

An accused is entitled to pretrial release unless charged with a capital, life felony, or an offense punishable by life imprisonment. However, on an application for bond, the trial court must find that the proof of guilt is evident or the presumption great. The burden is on the State to meet this standard. The State is held to a degree of proof greater than that required to establish guilt beyond a reasonable doubt.

Further, where the State’s evidence is sufficient to convict for a capital or life offense but is arguably impeached in substantial respects by other evidence or is replete with substantial contradictions and discrepancies, the proof does not meete with substantial contradictions and discrepancies, the proof does not meet the standard. Accordingly, the accused in such a case would be entitled to pretrial bail as a matter of right for such offense.

Lester is correct in issuing a harsh warning, though I think not giving O'Mara a reasonable amount of time to respond to the state was a stretch. Remember that Lester himself could not discern if the money involved was subject to the court's jurisdiction, so it is arguable that a layperson could have the same misgivings.

Putting my aluminium bowler on for a minute, the court has to recognize that a Dennis motion will be pending and public outrage high among segments of the community. It would not suprise me if Lester is looking for some political cover and show of due process before making a very tough decision.
 
He's just been added to help with the case.

He's been an Asst. State Atty. at least over ten years.

These are all the ASA in Duval County for the 4th Judicial Circuit.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/41165956/6/SECOND-JUDICIAL-CIRCUIT

SAO.jpg
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom