Last night, the San Antonio Spurs had more points in the paint, more second chance points, and more fastbreak points then the Oklahoma City Thunder. And yet this morning, no one is talking about that. I wonder why...
Actually Johnny that was my point: a year or so from now the fact that he didn't disclose his paypal contributions until five days after the bond hearing won't amount to much compared to lack of evidence.
Zimmerman conspired to deceive the court, and got caught. Now he's suffering the consequences of his actions. How you see that as either "destructive of justice" or "a travesty" is beyond me.
For the same reason we got rid of the independent prosecutor in politics. Sending people on fishing expeditions is destructive of justice, it's too easy to end up with "Just because there was no sabotage, doesn't mean there isn't a conspiracy...." Or in less esoteric parlance, ending up talking about thongs in the US Capitol building or people who've been exonerated asking 'Where do I go to get my reputation back?'
Anyway I don't expect you to agree on this issue, that is how I feel about it universally however, regardless of whatever happens to George Zimmerman.
So we're back to indicting the media? Yawn. I'm pretty sure the media didn't force Zimmerman to lie.
No, they didn't force it, he made a mistake it appears to me.
However the media
did (helpfully!) 'force' the trial, and created the conditions where he exists as a hunted animal in an undisclosed location. Those conditions permeate his whole existence now, and might have affected his decision making capability, at least in the short term. Not that anyone will ever accept that being the recipient of a media firestorm can affect one's behavior and attitude, but (silly me!) I cannot help but wonder if it might have been a factor.
Start with Crump. We can't have this, lawyers finding 'victims' and then forming a posse in the media against someone determined to be innocent of charges by authorities and forcing a trial under threat of riots. This is admittedly an extreme example, and as such the media might be more skeptical next time someone comes to them with a load of bollocks and calls it 'evidence,' however even on a smaller scale this is even more destructive to justice than fishing expeditions.
Incidentally, this isn't something I'm saying just because of this case, it's something I
noticed previously and suspect will continue to be a problem as our archaic justice system tries to negotiate an age where everyone can communicate and has access to more information than the legendary Library of Alexandria. The 'appeal to emotion' is the most destructive of rationality because all of us are human, and most want to be considered decent ones. However there's ambulance chasers and political lawyers who will take advantage of that, and I don't think we've even seen the beginning of what that might mean for our justice system....
