dudalb
Penultimate Amazing
I am betting though, that if the judge has descreation he is not going to allow cameras in the courtroom for this case.
It could have been political for the prosecution not to file charges in the first place.I think there is enough reasonable doubt * that no charge will get a "guilty". Basically, it's a political decission to prosecute, and at least they can say they tried, which is better than appearing to do nothing.
* Unless there is undisclosed evidence that removes doubt, that the first prosecuter didn't know about.
I'd like to think that the prosecutor decided not to file because he/she is responsible and having weighed the evidence thinks there is insufficient evidence. Then again, filing charges could have elicited more information for Zimmerman. We will never know.The Miami Herald reports the Sanford Police Department, at the conclusion of its Trayvon Martin murder investigation, recommended that the prosecutor file charges against the shooter George Zimmerman.
Really the police beat the crap out of somebody on video?
It could have been political for the prosecution not to file charges in the first place.
I can't think of a rebuttal off the top of my head. Good point.Agreed, but a different political goal. The original prosecuter chose not to prosecute a loser as it would harm his/her conviction rate, which would come up at next election. The special prosector was set up so the loss wouldn't count against anyone that needed electing.
For some reason, I suddenly feel very close to youI can't think of a rebuttal off the top of my head. Good point.
I'm skeptical that the prosecution can make a case beyond a reasonable doubt. But then my understanding is incomplete.
An official tells the Associated Press that George Zimmerman will be charged with second-degree murder in Trayvon Martin’s death, and Zimmerman is in custody.
Arrested! GZ is in custody according to MSNBC.
So, we have charges and an arrest. Anyone want to update their positions?
Perhaps after seeing the evidence used to determine the charge.
Arrested! GZ is in custody according to MSNBC.
So, we have charges and an arrest. Anyone want to update their positions?
They would have had to have a grand jury decide murder, so it's going to be manslaughter.So what's it going to be? I'll say manslaughter (or whatever the equivalent is in Florida). I just don't think they can make a murder charge stick.
They would have had to have a grand jury decide murder, so it's going to be manslaughter.
I'm sorry, but I asked for the metrics on this. I want to know exactly what the criteria is for establishing this statement.The metric of the rest of the world?
I can rebut it.I can't think of a rebuttal off the top of my head. Good point.
Guess that pretty much rebuts TGF's hypothesis.It stems back to a string of wrongful convictions in Wolfinger’s district … convictions that were overturned despite Wolfinger’s best actions (and inaction) to make sure they were not.
For those who aren’t familiar with these stories, I’ve attached one of my past columns on the topic below. But the general gist is this:
Back in the 80s, law enforcement in Brevard County routinely brought in a charlatan “expert witness” to lie about evidence to help get convictions. (The fact that he was a charlatan is not debatable. It was later proven in court. And the ”expert,” dog-handler John Preston, was banned from testifying in the county.) Immediately, the state should have conducted an independent, external review of all the cases in which Preston helped get convictions.
But they didn’t.
Instead, State Attorney Norm Wolfinger claimed to do a “review” of all the cases himself … and declared all of the other convictions were just.
Except they weren’t.
Scientific evidence later exonerated two more men – Bill Dillon and Wilton Dedge. Both men spent more than two decades behind bars for crimes they didn’t commit.
Wolfinger apologized to Dedge. He’s been unwilling to concede Dillon’s innocence. Most importantly, though, still do this day – as he prepares to retire from office after 28 years - Wolfinger he still refuses to call for an independent investigation into the other cases.
Not sure how to interpret this comment but I'm content with my position in my posts.I've found your comments on this topic as effective at damning Zimmerman as his lawyers were of polishing his reputation.
Breaking news: Zimmerman to be charged in Martin case.
http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2...man-to-be-charged-in-trayvon-martin-case?lite
If that prosecutor is canceling the grand jury tomorrow, I would say that pretty much guarantees there are going to be charges.
My reasoning is, if the prosecutor canceled the grand jury and then didn't press charges, people would be questioning whether or not the grand jury would have done the same.
So, I assume the prosecutor has already made the decision to press charges.
Anyway, the point still stands that if the prosecutor doesn't press charges now there will be a huge up-rage about her canceling the grand jury. People will say maybe the grand jury would have issued charges.
So this pretty much guarantees that charges will be filed.