• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Trayvon Martin, Vigilante Justice

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what's it going to be? I'll say manslaughter (or whatever the equivalent is in Florida). I just don't think they can make a murder charge stick.

Yeah it is going to be a tough case to prosecute because the evidence is not that clear cut one way or the other.
I am betting that the minute the news comes out that a verdict has been reached the Governor of Florida is going to put the National Guard on alert .......this has all the signs of another Rodney King fiasco.


But this thread has been a great example of how Politics makes a lot of people who consider themselved rational thinkers to toss all the tools of reason aside.
 
Last edited:
Yeah it is going to be a tough case to prosecute because the evidence is not that clear cut one way or the other.
I am betting that the minute the news comes out that a verdict has been reached the Governor of Florida is going to put the National Guard on alert .......this has all the signs of another Rodney King fiasco.

But this thread has been a great example of how Politics makes a lot of people who consider themselved rational thinkers to toss all the tools of reason aside.
You do have to wonder what changed between the first prosecutor deciding not to prosecute and the second one deciding to, other than political pressure. Then again, prosecutors do have a huge amount of discretion and it's not unusual that they might decide different things when a case is borderline.

One things for sure, we're going to have another OJ or Kennedy kid (rape) trial here type situation here, with 24/7 coverage. Does FL allow cameras in the courtroom??
 
So what's it going to be? I'll say manslaughter (or whatever the equivalent is in Florida). I just don't think they can make a murder charge stick.

Yeah, unless they have clear and convincing evidence that Zimmerman was standing over Martin while he was shot, I think that might fall under 2nd deg. Murder. But, most likely, manslaughter.
 
There's enough uncertainty in the evidence that I doubt any prosecutor would try for any degree of murder. The idea is to prosecute for the highest charge you can make stick. So manslaughter seems the logical way to go, possibly negligent homicide (or the FL equivalent).
 
You do have to wonder what changed between the first prosecutor deciding not to prosecute and the second one deciding to, other than political pressure. Then again, prosecutors do have a huge amount of discretion and it's not unusual that they might decide different things when a case is borderline.

One things for sure, we're going to have another OJ or Kennedy kid (rape) trial here type situation here, with 24/7 coverage. Does FL allow cameras in the courtroom??

It depends on the case but I watch a lot of Florida cases on TruTV. The local news has covered Corey and her history, extensively. They picked her because of her success in prosecuting iffy cases and she is reported to be tough on racially motivated crimes. I am not so quick to think that this is a lost case because of that.
 
Accidentally on purpose

So what's it going to be? I'll say manslaughter (or whatever the equivalent is in Florida). I just don't think they can make a murder charge stick.

What they can make stick, and what they charge are two different things. They charged the Anthony(sic?) girl with murder one on little more than a guess.

Unless I'm mistaken, the shooter here already ADMITTED he shot the deceased on purpose. When you do that, you either get charged with nothing (because you had just cause) or you get charged with a form of murder. I would think so, anyway.

There are other reasons for charging murder in this case. But nuff said about that now.
 
What they can make stick, and what they charge are two different things. They charged the Anthony(sic?) girl with murder one on little more than a guess.

Unless I'm mistaken, the shooter here already ADMITTED he shot the deceased on purpose. When you do that, you either get charged with nothing (because you had just cause) or you get charged with a form of murder. I would think so, anyway.

There are other reasons for charging murder in this case. But nuff said about that now.

They're going to have a hard time making anything stick because Zimmerman will claim self-defense. I think the prosecution is likely to go to a lesser charge in an effort to get him to plead guilty, rather than taking their chances with second-degree murder and very possibly having him walk.
 
I'm skeptical that the prosecution can make a case beyond a reasonable doubt. But then my understanding is incomplete.
 
You do have to wonder what changed between the first prosecutor deciding not to prosecute and the second one deciding to, other than political pressure.

There is a lot of forensic evidence taht takes time to analyze, especially the clothing and powder burns.

The prosecutor will want to wait until they have a compelling case, so there are many lines of evidence to gather and analyze.

Again I know someone whose family member was charged with murder after three years.
 
So does more information get released once he is formally charged ?

I'm totally ignorant of how any of this process works - for example, will a complete police report be released ?
 
What's good for a child, should be good for a man

I think they have a better chance of getting him to plead if they go for a higher charge.

Perhaps they will charge him only with manslaughter, under a "heat of passion" scenario. However, considering this prosecutor has previously charged a 12yo boy with murder, I figure it's the least she can do for flag-wrapped George.

But, we'll soon find out, won't we?
 
I think there is enough reasonable doubt * that no charge will get a "guilty". Basically, it's a political decission to prosecute, and at least they can say they tried, which is better than appearing to do nothing.


* Unless there is undisclosed evidence that removes doubt, that the first prosecuter didn't know about.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom