• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

What's so fantastic about Apple?

If you live in a metropolitan area that offers 4g LTE and can make use of it, that should be a big speed bump.

Sadly no. London doesn't have LTE and isn't likely to get it before the next iPad. As it happens I bought a wifi only iPad because I can either hot sync with my iPhone, connect to my Three MiFi (HSPA), or join a client's wifi if they have it. I didn't see the point of paying extra to get another mobile option.

Now that I'm keeping the iPad 2 I do wish I'd sprung for the 32GB model though. Having said that, I can archive off stuff to iCloud, my PC, or Dropbox - so I guess it's no biggie.

Otherwise its incremental enough that its not something someone with an iPad2 likely needs.

Pretty much my conclusion having zipped around London this morning and found myself perfectly happy. I doubt an extra 2 million or so pixels would have brightened my day.
 


:D

Actually I do know about the term PPI but....

Jobs called it DPI:

Jobs said "there's a magic number around 300dpi, if you hold something about 10-12 inches away from your eye, it's the limit of the human retina to distinguish pixels."

I assumed that if I didn't call it what Jobs did people in this thread would be confused or I would get yelled at. :D

Really though, PPI is probably going to be one of those cases where the "correct" term dies out in favor of the "almost correct and more known" term.
 
:D

Actually I do know about the term PPI but....

Jobs called it DPI:



I assumed that if I didn't call it what Jobs did people in this thread would be confused or I would get yelled at. :D

Really though, PPI is probably going to be one of those cases where the "correct" term dies out in favor of the "almost correct and more known" term.

I use dpi all most of the time. :)
 
Last edited:
:D

Actually I do know about the term PPI but....

Jobs called it DPI:



I assumed that if I didn't call it what Jobs did people in this thread would be confused or I would get yelled at. :D

Really though, PPI is probably going to be one of those cases where the "correct" term dies out in favor of the "almost correct and more known" term.

37 minutes in. He said Pixels Per Inch. :)
 
Currently it is not possible to buy new replacement MagSafe AC adapters (either from Apple or third-party suppliers) that work with these MacBooks, forcing owners to look for used original adapters.


Can't run your machine without it. They won't fix it. They won't let anybody else make it.

Buy a new machine, fanboi. After all, they're fantastic! Right?

Geez. It's a freakin' power cord, for crissake! That's a hell of a reason to have to brick your laptop. :mad::

I looked on ebay. Original adapters are selling for like $ 9.99 + shipping.

I am dissapointed. I thought maybe I was sitting on a goldmine :(
 
Interesting. I liked the part about the class-action lawsuit the MagSafe prompted.

This part about the new ... safe ... MagSafe was good for a few giggles, too.




Can't run your machine without it. They won't fix it. They won't let anybody else make it.

Buy a new machine, fanboi. After all, they're fantastic! Right?

Geez. It's a freakin' power cord, for crissake! That's a hell of a reason to have to brick your laptop. :mad:

Friendly garden. :rolleyes:
I love how determined you are to turn what most reasonable people in the computer world see as a benefit (the magsafe connector) and turn it into a liability. Bricking your laptop? Really? Drama, anyone?

But you couldn't possibly be an Apple or Mac hater, could you? Or maybe you prefer the old days when everybody ran the daily risk of bringing their laptops crashing to the floor because the power cord was yanked on.
 
I love how determined you are to turn what most reasonable people in the computer world see as a benefit (the magsafe connector) and turn it into a liability. Bricking your laptop? Really? Drama, anyone?


You know, I'm not the one who brought up the subject, and I'm not the one who posted a wiki link in an apparent effort to establish how fantastic it is.

I just perused the link that a fanboi offered and noted that the part about the class-action lawsuit had been left out, as had the part about Apple not feeling too obligated to offer relief to those owners of their products whose machines were a little bit older.

And if you can't provide power to your laptop it's gonna be a doorstop. The fact that somebody might have the option to buy a used duplicate of the same power cord which had already been demonstrated to be known to fail ... with the additional 'feature' of being a potential fire hazard (remember the class-action suit?) ... is not really much of a substitute. Unless that someone is a real fanboi.

But you couldn't possibly be an Apple or Mac hater, could you?


I don't care enough about Apple products to hate them.

Quite the contrary. As I have pointed out before, sometimes I'm even grateful for them. The iPad is an example. I'd been waiting for years for tablet format computers to move out of the niche market they had been in. Now that Apple has popularized the format we are seeing the price point drop on tablets in general. There is certainly some good to be found in their legion of disciples.

OTOH, if I had spent the extra price premium to own a fantastic MacBook and had to toss it in the dustbin because Apple couldn't be bothered to correct their piss-poor implementation of a connector approach which had been common on kitchen appliances for years ... then I might hate them.

Or maybe you prefer the old days when everybody ran the daily risk of bringing their laptops crashing to the floor because the power cord was yanked on.


I've owned a laptop of one sort or another since the Epson HX-20WP came out in the early eighties (I still have one). I've used them in every sort of environment, most commonly in construction field trailers, conference rooms, and my living room table, and so far (fingers crossed) I have managed to keep from trashing one because the power cord was tripped over. Maybe I've just been lucky. Maybe Apple fanbois need to be more careful.

I'm not suggesting that a magnetic connector isn't a good idea. I was simply pointing out that the way Apple handled their first stab at it might not be the best thing to offer as a bragging point for them.
 
Last edited:
I just perused the link that a fanboi offered ... Unless that someone is a real fanboi.
<>
I don't care enough about Apple products to hate them.
<>

OTOH, if I had spent the extra price premium to own a fantastic MacBook and had to toss it in the dustbin because Apple couldn't be bothered to correct their piss-poor implementation of a connector approach which had been common on kitchen appliances for years ... then I might hate them.
<...>. Maybe Apple fanbois need to be more careful.

Awful lot of snark and nonsense in that post for someone who doesn't care enough about apple to hate them.
 
I think it is bad to not let other manufacturers use a particular safety mechanism in their devices.
Soooo, patents are bad in your view? Or only patents you don't like because they prevent you from using a feature you see value in, but it's only available in a product or from a company you dislike?
 
They could licence it to others. If it's such a good safety mechanism, it would not be good to not let others implement it. It would be even better if they didn't patent it, or it would be better if they didn't charge for others to implement a SAFETY MECHANISM.

I don't particularly see value in those magnetic connectors for myself (people around children or in situations where, but I like some Apple products. You're turning any criticism of something Apple does as hatred of Apple or a product. Come off it. It is not enjoyable to talk with somebody who is being like that.

There is this:
Well, it's not like it's an original concept. (That's right. Another fantastic "new" idea from Apple. :rolleyes:) Deep fryers have been made with the same safety feature for years before Apple put out theirs. They just won't let anyone else make one that works on a MacBook.

And, I expect, would see to it that their lawyers will badger the hell out of anyone who tries to use a different design on a laptop, 'cause who could have thought of using one on an "electronic device" before they came up with the idea.

If that is true, then that makes earlier statements when the issue of patents was brought up not make sense. It was said Apple exclusively uses the technology and doesn't licence it, and that was used to counter that somebody has that product earlier? So that wasn't true? I must be confused.
 
Last edited:
They could licence it to others. If it's such a good safety mechanism, it would not be good to not let others implement it. It would be even better if they didn't patent it,


It's not like it's an airbag for the car or the cure for a disease.
 
That doesn't mean it doesn't matter.

I don't think it's important for my use, and I said that, but it being less important than other important things does not invalidate my point.
 
If that is true, then that makes earlier statements when the issue of patents was brought up not make sense. It was said Apple exclusively uses the technology and doesn't licence it, and that was used to counter that somebody has that product earlier? So that wasn't true? I must be confused.

HERE is Apples patent. I think they have made a number of innovations in the idea that they patented.

I dislike the notion that it's simply an 'obvious' idea as very few things actually have magnetic or break-away cords, despite the millions of objects that have cords or require cords to be plugged it.
 
Awful lot of snark and nonsense in that post for someone who doesn't care enough about apple to hate them.


Whether it was snark or nonsense is a matter of opinion.

I wasn't the one who started off with accusations of "hater". If my response was less than perfectly amicable, that might be the reason.

I could say that you seem a bit thin-skinned about the subject. That wouldn't be evidence that I "hated" Apple either.
 
They could licence it to others. If it's such a good safety mechanism, it would not be good to not let others implement it. It would be even better if they didn't patent it, or it would be better if they didn't charge for others to implement a SAFETY MECHANISM.

I don't particularly see value in those magnetic connectors for myself (people around children or in situations where, but I like some Apple products. You're turning any criticism of something Apple does as hatred of Apple or a product. Come off it. It is not enjoyable to talk with somebody who is being like that.

There is this:


If that is true, then that makes earlier statements when the issue of patents was brought up not make sense. It was said Apple exclusively uses the technology and doesn't licence it, and that was used to counter that somebody has that product earlier? So that wasn't true? I must be confused.
You know the LATCH child safety system for child carseats?

Patented.

Very hefty license fee to get it.

How do I know? I know the inventor.
 
For those who have held or still hold that Apple products are overpriced...

...check out the new iPhoto for the iPad and iPhone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HKgK6iupls&feature=youtube_gdata_player

You won't believe the price they're charging!

Oh, and as to patent rights, there's a movie about the poor schlub who invented the intermittent windshield wiper and the battles he had to fight to protect his rights. I forget the name, but it's worth a watch.
 
Nice demo - pity he can't count, number of times he says "two touches" when he's actually used 3 or more!

<pedantic> Oh, and that's not even including the touch to open the app, or select the photo ! </pedantic>

So, the ad hom against Randy Ubillos aside - iphoto on ipad looks pretty fantastic.

Is there anything closely feature comparable available on another tablet ?
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom