• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

What's so fantastic about Apple?

You said: "The "MagSafe" power adapter is just a freaking magnet on the power cord. Worth a couple bucks more on the list price, tops.

According to wikipedia:
Apple exclusively owns US Patent No. 7311526 ("Magnetic connector for electronic device", issued in 2007) and does not license the MagSafe connector or the patent.


I think it is bad to not let other manufacturers use a particular safety mechanism in their devices.


Well, it's not like it's an original concept. (That's right. Another fantastic "new" idea from Apple. :rolleyes:) Deep fryers have been made with the same safety feature for years before Apple put out theirs. They just won't let anyone else make one that works on a MacBook.

And, I expect, would see to it that their lawyers will badger the hell out of anyone who tries to use a different design on a laptop, 'cause who could have thought of using one on an "electronic device" before they came up with the idea.
 
Well, it's not like it's an original concept. (That's right. Another fantastic "new" idea from Apple. :rolleyes:) Deep fryers have been made with the same safety feature for years before Apple put out theirs. They just won't let anyone else make one that works on a MacBook.

And, I expect, would see to it that their lawyers will badger the hell out of anyone who tries to use a different design on a laptop, 'cause who could have thought of using one on an "electronic device" before they came up with the idea.

I think original concept != innovation. At this point most companies aren't inventing a new something. I think using an older idea in a different setting can certainly be innovative.

But I am curious - if it was so obvious, why didn't anyone before apple have this on their laptops ? Because it's damn useful. In fact, it's an awesome feature, and I am sure it's saved me some potential trouble on more than a few occasions.

This isn't even a software patent - how did the patent office let this one slip by if it's so obvious ?
 
What is so great about it ? Is it fantastic ?

Seriously, it's pretty much a summary of this thread. Haters gonna hate ;)

ETA: and if you don't normally read tech crunch, MG (article author) is a bigger apple fanboy than me :-)

John Gruber (daring fireball) puts it succinctly (in response to a similar article):

I suspect this is a prelude to much of tomorrow’s post-event coverage, echoing the initial tech press reaction to the iPhone 4S. But if a faster processor, more RAM, a double-the-resolution retina display, a better camera, and maybe even LTE networking make for a “modest” update, then what would it take for the iPad 3 to be deemed an immodest update? A fusion energy source? Teleportation? A camera that sees into the future?
 
John Gruber (daring fireball) puts it succinctly (in response to a similar article):

I suspect this is a prelude to much of tomorrow’s post-event coverage, echoing the initial tech press reaction to the iPhone 4S. But if a faster processor, more RAM, a double-the-resolution retina display, a better camera, and maybe even LTE networking make for a “modest” update, then what would it take for the iPad 3 to be deemed an immodest update? A fusion energy source? Teleportation? A camera that sees into the future?

Well, we already know that if it isn't a quad core, people will rail about how slow it is even if it destroys all the other tablets in bench mark scores.
 
John Gruber (daring fireball) puts it succinctly (in response to a similar article):

I suspect this is a prelude to much of tomorrow’s post-event coverage, echoing the initial tech press reaction to the iPhone 4S. But if a faster processor, more RAM, a double-the-resolution retina display, a better camera, and maybe even LTE networking make for a “modest” update, then what would it take for the iPad 3 to be deemed an immodest update? A fusion energy source? Teleportation? A camera that sees into the future?

So, with the exception of verification of more RAM (we'll probably need to wait on ifixit teardown) - seems like Gruber got the specs down. Now we'll see who spins it as a 'modest' update :-)

Oh yeah - and ipad2 -> $100 less is going to probably hurt a lot of 10" android sales.
 
As much as I think Apple is FANTASTIC...

...my habit is to avoid the bleeding edge.

My birthday's in August, so they should have the bugs worked out by then.

Most impressive for me was the new iPhoto app. I haven't yet seen what hardware is required to run it. I'm on a first gen iPad bought used after the 2 came out, and Karen got a 2 in January for her birthday!
 
Went for white this time. Receipt says it will be delivered on the 16th. Wife will inherit the iPad 2 and the original iPad will probably stay on the exercise bike.

After the birth of my kids and my wedding, this is the third gre....oh, who am I kidding. The greatest, most fantastic day of my life!
 
Most impressive for me was the new iPhoto app. I haven't yet seen what hardware is required to run it. I'm on a first gen iPad bought used after the 2 came out, and Karen got a 2 in January for her birthday!

I decided to update my iPad to iOS5.1. On completion all my Apple apps were suddenly updateable, so I went ahead and grabbed the latest versions. I'm still working my way through the changes, but if you have Garage Band on your iPad there are some fun new instruments in there. My favourite is a new string section (2 violins, a viola, a cello and some kind of even bigger cello thing).

This evening I put the string section into cinematic mode and switched on autoplay. "I" then provided somewhat dramatic accompaniment to Master Chef, much to my wife's annoyance :D

I'm still undecided about upgrading to the new iPad. I like the idea of loads more pixels, but don't really have a business use for them. It's not as if I'll get more text across the width of the page in Textastic - just sharper text. And apart from a sharper screen with better colours, what else does the new iPad offer that isn't part of iOS5.1?

I guess there's a better camera and video, which has potential uses for me. Although there are issues. How do you secure an iPad to a tripod? Or record decent sound?
 
Last edited:
The author, MG Siegler, is the boyfriend of Sarah Lane, who is a personality on the TWIT network.

One of her shows is "iPad Today", in fact a weekly show.

Maybe they're just trying to remain "fair and balanced" as a couple.
I miss the old days when Sarah used to date Kevin Rose. They made such a cuuuute couple;)
 
Went for white this time. Receipt says it will be delivered on the 16th. Wife will inherit the iPad 2 and the original iPad will probably stay on the exercise bike.

...snip...

Assuming for the moment that your comment above is serious:

Why have you ordered an iPad 3 (may sound strange question from me since I've always said I only need to see the word "new" on a gadget to consider buying it). I can understand if someone has been waiting to buy a tablet or wanted another one to now plump for the latest and greatest, after all if the cost isn't an issue why buy the second best tablet (i.e. iPad 2).
 
Assuming for the moment that your comment above is serious:

Why have you ordered an iPad 3 (may sound strange question from me since I've always said I only need to see the word "new" on a gadget to consider buying it). I can understand if someone has been waiting to buy a tablet or wanted another one to now plump for the latest and greatest, after all if the cost isn't an issue why buy the second best tablet (i.e. iPad 2).

Not sure I understand your question. I'm giving my wife my current iPad 2 (that i bought a year ago) and getting the new one for myself.
 
And apart from a sharper screen with better colours, what else does the new iPad offer that isn't part of iOS5.1?

If you live in a metropolitan area that offers 4g LTE and can make use of it, that should be a big speed bump.

Otherwise its incremental enough that its not something someone with an iPad2 likely needs.

My first gen iPad won't run the new iPhoto, and more and more apps and features will need iPad2 or above, so I will be upgrading mine in the future.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom