• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

What's so fantastic about Apple?

Just 10 days left until the blessed Mar. 7 Apple announcement. Hallelujah!

Bound to be something FANTASTIC!

That reminds me. I have to grab my sleeping bag and urine jug and head over to my nearest Apple store tonight and get in line!
 
Yes! YES!! YES!!!

I don't care what it is - I WANT ONE! ;)

Its almost just too fantastic to bear!

But seriously (though I love my urine jug even if it isn't made by Apple)...

I will order two units the hour they go on sale on their website. I should get them with in a week or two. I'll then give the iPad 2 to my wife, keep one iPad 3 for myself and sell the other iPad 3 on eBay for a couple hundred dollars profit.

Fantastic!!!
 
I wonder what it does? :boggled:

iWantone.jpg


:D
 
It's possible to install a windows airprint server if that helps.

Also here

AFAIK, airprint is simply CUPS with a few custom extensions. The windows servers seem to come from when apple had it airprint in beta, and it was not limiting it to HP airprint enabled servers in the same way - I'm not exactly sure why it's locked down as much as it is.

Lexmark can support wireless printing from an iPad through a Windows PC, but it means my desktop has to be left on 24/7 which I'm not willing to do. I suspect the above AirPrint drivers would have the same short-coming.

I'm hoping Lexmark update the firmware and support AirPrint inside the printer. My fingers and toes are crossed as the Lexmark is otherwise a very useful printer for a small business like mine. It's very fast, and inexpensive to run.
 
WOW!!!

Can a thread have a logo?
Well originally I was going to do an advert for the new iPantypad which negates the need for kajata's urine bottle when they're sitting in the all night Apple Store queue, but the idea I went with was much simpler to knock up. And the iPantypad seemed to be too much like taking the pee. :D
 
I like Apple personally. Not for my computer, I use a Dell, as I have had good experience with their customer support and service WRT: hardware warranty issues.

I recently purchased an iPhone 4s, and it's ease of use, simple setup, great features, and their app screening process is superior to an Android phone. Plus, their customer service (the one time I have had to call them) has been FANTASTIC!!

Plus, I like being able to ask Siri random questions, and getting hilarious responses.

But hey, that's just me. I am not all that computer savvy, HTML, Javascript, etc. mean nothing to me. I know it's some kind of internet language, or something like that.

Network printing is about my extent of expertise. Oh, and I have a networked 1TB hard drive too.
 
I like Apple personally. Not for my computer, I use a Dell, as I have had good experience with their customer support and service WRT: hardware warranty issues.

I recently purchased an iPhone 4s, and it's ease of use, simple setup, great features, and their app screening process is superior to an Android phone. Plus, their customer service (the one time I have had to call them) has been FANTASTIC!!

...snip...

I've just sold my touch to a friend so part of the deal was for me to factory reset the touch and then set it up for him and at the same time I set-up his wife's new Android phone. The android phone was by far the easiest to set-up even though she didn't have a google account of any kind especially as I didn't need to connect the phone to a PC to set-up; whereas to setup the touch I had to download and install the latest iTunes onto his PC, set that up for him (and he has a 4 year old PC so that took an age to make it his default media-player and podcast downloader), then set-up the touch (I know the very latest apple stuff doesn't need a PC). The android set-up was painless, the Apple setup was the pain-the-butt! Sadly Apple seem to be falling further and further behind on the usability front and iOS is looking and feeling distinctly ancient, hopefully they'll catch up with the next revision of iOS so that there is more competition to help spur future developments of all mobile OSs.
 
Sunday I had a pleasant Apple customer service experience.

I have a 3 year old MacBook Pro. A couple weeks ago the trackpad got wonky, sticking and registering clicks when even very lightly touched. VERY frustrating.

A trip to Google showed a couple of possible causes and one of them was a swollen battery! Sure enough, the battery (3 year old original) had bulged just enough to press on the back of the trackpad, causing this issue - removing the battery solved the problem.

My battery was on its last legs anyway, barely holding a 30' charge, and due for replacement. A friend suggested a trip to an Apple Store's Genius Bar, saying that they had had the same problem and gotten an out of warranty replacement battery. I made an appointment for last Sunday.

Without being specific enough to get anyone in trouble, let's just say that I walked out after having had a truly exemplary customer service experience.

BTW, if you've never been to an Apple Store and hung around the Genius Bar, a trip might point out at least one of the benefits of paying any alleged "Apple Tax".
 
Last edited:
...the Apple setup was the pain-the-butt! Sadly Apple seem to be falling further and further behind on the usability front and iOS is looking and feeling distinctly ancient...

A sore point, to be sure.

Sometimes both iOS and Lion are just SO elegant and easy.

Other times the joke around my household is the Jobs admonition, "It should just work!"...when something doesn't.

There are rumors of a rethought iTunes - the current one has been asked to do more and more and is starting to feel rickety and overtaxed.

iTunes Match is "fantastic" - but has a distinctively beta feel. As does iCloud.

The challenge is for Apple to add "fantastic" capability without "fantastic" complexity. It really should "just work". Hopefully they can regain the balance - they should have enough cash and talent to get the job done if they can just focus.
 
Last edited:
Oh, and only 9 days left!

Be still, my heart!

I haven't slept since the iPad 2 was introduced because I'm so giddy with anticipation for the iPad 3. I'm so fantastically tired!

I've just sold my touch to a friend so part of the deal was for me to factory reset the touch and then set it up for him and at the same time I set-up his wife's new Android phone. The android phone was by far the easiest to set-up even though she didn't have a google account of any kind especially as I didn't need to connect the phone to a PC to set-up; whereas to setup the touch I had to download and install the latest iTunes onto his PC, set that up for him (and he has a 4 year old PC so that took an age to make it his default media-player and podcast downloader), then set-up the touch (I know the very latest apple stuff doesn't need a PC). The android set-up was painless, the Apple setup was the pain-the-butt! Sadly Apple seem to be falling further and further behind on the usability front and iOS is looking and feeling distinctly ancient, hopefully they'll catch up with the next revision of iOS so that there is more competition to help spur future developments of all mobile OSs.

You're comparing setting up a new Android phone with a iPod Touch running an old operating system. Then you say how Apple is falling behind on the usability front as the iOS is feeling ancient? How about comparing the current operating systems instead of old Apple vs. new Android. Your post makes no sense on a fantastic level especially since the new iOS, as you point out, requires no PC which seemed to be the source of most of your headaches with setting up the touch.
 
Sadly Apple seem to be falling further and further behind on the usability front and iOS is looking and feeling distinctly ancient, hopefully they'll catch up with the next revision of iOS so that there is more competition to help spur future developments of all mobile OSs.

I don't understand your claim that apple is falling behind on the usability front. How so ?

Also, since the the iphone 4s, 4, and 3g were pretty much the top selling phones in the US last quarter, how is that *not* competition ?

You are free to dislike apple, itunes, etc. But to make claims that iOS is behind android in any general way seems a bit silly.
 
You are free to dislike...itunes...

I also detest iTunes. It just doesn't work on Windows. Or perhaps more accurately, it works differently to the way every other Windows application works. Which is nuts within a Windows context.

Since upgrading my ageing iPhone 3Gs to iOS5 it hasn't been allowed to go anywhere near iTunes (hooray). And as my iPad has been iOS5 from day one it doesn't get plugged in at all.

iOS5 was a welcome improvement, but Darat is right. There is still plenty of room for improvement - particularly with iCloud. For example, how about something akin to Dropbox with a Windows application to provide me with a 'smart' folder on my respective XP and 7 desktops?

Never-the-less, I am very fond of my iPhone and I absolutely love my iPad. A thousand pox-related curses on anyone who disparages either :p
 
I also detest iTunes. It just doesn't work on Windows. Or perhaps more accurately, it works differently to the way every other Windows application works. Which is nuts within a Windows context.

I agree iTunes could be better on windows. Sometimes I think it's a conspiracy to drive windows users to OS X :)

iOS5 was a welcome improvement, but Darat is right. There is still plenty of room for improvement - particularly with iCloud. For example, how about something akin to Dropbox with a Windows application to provide me with a 'smart' folder on my respective XP and 7 desktops?

What's wrong with dropbox - it is pretty much a smart folder already ?

Apple (and MS) seem to get in 'trouble' when they start integrating their own software to do things third parties already cover.

Honestly, I don't know if I prefer the OS to incorporate another feature, or just use one of the many third party apps available.
 
Based on the photo on the invite people are saying the new iPad won't have a home button. If true, is it really necessary to remove it? Do we always have to move in the direction of minimal buttons? Remember the iPod shuffle with no buttons and the disaster that was?
 
Based on the photo on the invite people are saying the new iPad won't have a home button. If true, is it really necessary to remove it? Do we always have to move in the direction of minimal buttons? Remember the iPod shuffle with no buttons and the disaster that was?

Necessary ? No.

But I rarely use the button with the multitouch gestures.

The button is a great user 'safety' button though - any time you feel lost - press the button to get to home. It makes the device 'simpler', therefor more appealing to a wider audience, IMHO. Not sure about the benefits of removing it.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom