• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

What's so fantastic about Apple?

I've always been concerned about that sort of design from a strictly engineering perspective. Putting so much reliance on a single multi-directional hinge just doesn't seem like a good idea. Maybe I'm too nervous.

That same Motion tablet I showed above also had a screen cover without a keyboard, which was barely 1/16 in. thick and snapped onto the back of the tablet when not needed. If I was going to be out on-site for very long I didn't need to bother with a keyboard at all.


My nephew has a 5-year-old Gateway tablet notebook and his machine still works fine. Granted, this is a cheap little netbook, but it's made by Lenovo (widely considered one of the most reliable brands on the market) and the model has been around for 2 years now, so I think it's safe to assume it's pretty well put together. I'd probably check the Web and Consumer Reports before purchasing one, just to see if hardware failures are a common problem.
 
USB is so yesterday!

Virtually all of the iPad keyboards use Bluetooth, including some nice examples that double as cases and stands.

But without a USB port, how do you plug in the Bluetooth dongle? ;)

Okay, but seriously I suppose you could get by with all wireless devices. Assuming you don't mind your devices, such as keyboard an mouse running on batteries, and paying higher prices for a limited range of products.

But I see that they do sell USB adapters that plug into the iPad dock port, so you can have USB connectivity, just less convenient than having it built in.

(Wait... is the dock port located at the bottom of the iPad when the iPad is in a stand? In which case, it'd be hard to have it propped up in a stand with the USB adapter plugged in.)

I wonder why they don't make a stand that lets you use the dock to recharge the battery while also acting as a USB hub. Or do they make such a stand?

ETA: And you could have a keyboard built in, so it'd be almost as if the iPad were transformed into a notebook computer.
 
Last edited:
But seriously, you code on that thing? I'm calling shenanigans on that.

I don't code in shenanigans. PHP, HTML, CSS, JavaScript and jQuery are my thing, as stated.

I can understand using an iPad for browser testing, but I have a hard time believing a Web developer would do the majority of his programming work on a touchscreen tablet.

The highlighted word is your own. I neither used nor claimed it.

I suggest you check your assumptions at the door and go investigate Textastic.

Then note my use of phrases such as "running repairs" and "on site", and my emphasis on the iPad being useful as a mobile device.

I use it when my desktop is otherwise unavailable to me.
 
Last edited:
Granted, this is a cheap little netbook, but it's made by Lenovo (widely considered one of the most reliable brands on the market) and the model has been around for 2 years now, so I think it's safe to assume it's pretty well put together. I'd probably check the Web and Consumer Reports before purchasing one, just to see if hardware failures are a common problem.

It's an S10-3t and I've had it for just about two years. Maybe longer, don't recall.

The hinge is still rock solid. I'm curious to see Win8 for the touch screen aspect. It's the main advantage of phone/tablet OSes to not have teeny little buttons at the edge of the screen, that you can't quite hit reliably. :(

The only downside to this one is the vert. screen res is only 600. I may get different one this year just for that reason alone. Everything else works well.

/offtopic
 
Basically, this. Apple, Android, Windows specifics aside, the functionality of a tablet is phenomenal in certain situations.

Nice to meet a fellow traveller (so to speak). One who talks from actual experience.

I suspect if I were to ask I may just find you don't give a damn what the name on the case says, and are instead more concerned about whether the tool does the job required of it.
 
Last edited:
This may be a "duh" tip everyone knows, but...

...on the iPad you can go to "Settings...General...Accessibility". One of the options is "White on Black"

actually I didn't know and am trying it out right now. Thanks for the tip.

Sadly it's still too bright because there is plenty of white on the screen. The ability to lower white to a dim grey is a party trick that I've only seen in Atomic Web Browser. I wish I could do this system wide.
 
I just searched and found a free app on the app store called "Dimmer".

Don't know exactly what it does, but you might check it out.

Otherwise, maybe someone can come up with an app that does exactly what you want and make a few dollars!

My aging eyes have never seen the need for additional dimming - I need all the help I can get!

"Rage, rage against the dying of the light!"
 
Last edited:
When the iPads first came out...but I can't communicate with other computers or printers easily.

I've had no problem with networking on my iPad, unless you're referring to a lack of a cat5 port or other obvious means of wiring the thing directly. For me, wifi has been fine so far. Either my own, the client's or via my Three MiFi device (best thing since bacon).

But printing is the one thing I have yet to make work to my satisfaction.

My Lexmark is not an AirPrint printer, and Lexmark's wifi printing app requires that my desktop be running (i.e. it sends the job to my desktop and prints from there instead of directly to my wifi printer).

I think I should be able to Print from anywhere as long as I'm online, but so far such as obvious use of a wifi printer and always-on Internet hasn't occurred to Lexmark.
 
How are they for touch-typing?

I know you can type on them on a casual basis with the virtual keyboard, but how are they for serious typing and coding?

But I suppose if you needed to do some real typing, you could always plug in a USB keybard.

Assuming it comes with USB port to plug it into.

I'm a reasonable typist and can get to about 40% of my regular speed. It's possible to use 2-4 fingers at any given time, depending on what you're typing and where you are (e.g. hard to type properly on the tube).

I've looked at the various keyboard/case options for the iPad but haven't felt the need to splash out. If I found myself needing to code or write on it for an extended period I would invest in a hard keyboard.
 
I just searched and found a free app on the app store called "Dimmer".

Thanks for the tip. I gave it a whirl. It replicates the in-built screen dimming offering convenience of access rather than extra dimming.

But perhaps there is something out there that does Atomic's colour shift feux dimming thing. You've inspired me to take a look.
 
Thanks for the tip. I gave it a whirl. It replicates the in-built screen dimming offering convenience of access rather than extra dimming.

But perhaps there is something out there that does Atomic's colour shift feux dimming thing. You've inspired me to take a look.

Ya know, a Windows tablet allows you to change all the colors on your screen just as you can with any desktop/laptop running Windows. ;)


(And that's one of the reasons I prefer the Windows tablet...because, again, it's a full fledged OS with all the features of Windows (and, yes, the downsides of Windows...but, then again, Win7 isn't exactly a problematic OS))
 
Thanks for the tip. I gave it a whirl. It replicates the in-built screen dimming offering convenience of access rather than extra dimming.

But perhaps there is something out there that does Atomic's colour shift feux dimming thing. You've inspired me to take a look.

Well, for browsing the web I found "Night Browser".

The App allows you to adjust the screen brightness directly from the App and reduce the brightness to a level lower than the minimum brightness level available in Settings. The browser is exactly like Safari but adds a brightness controller to the browser which is very helpful.
 
I've had no problem with networking on my iPad, unless you're referring to a lack of a cat5 port or other obvious means of wiring the thing directly. For me, wifi has been fine so far. Either my own, the client's or via my Three MiFi device (best thing since bacon).

correct. A lot of what I do is laser printer repair, which includes firmware updates in the machine. To do that I need a wired connection to the printer to ftp the firmware. Most of the older printers don't even have usb ports, and many clients don't want strange devices on their networks.

Now, newer printers do have a form of support for wireless printing as tablets become more popular, but machines 2 years or older don't have that option, so I need a cat5 to communicate. With a windows tablet, I can find that option, but as far as I know, not for iOS or android machines.
 
correct. A lot of what I do is laser printer repair, which includes firmware updates in the machine. To do that I need a wired connection to the printer to ftp the firmware. Most of the older printers don't even have usb ports, and many clients don't want strange devices on their networks.

Now, newer printers do have a form of support for wireless printing as tablets become more popular, but machines 2 years or older don't have that option, so I need a cat5 to communicate. With a windows tablet, I can find that option, but as far as I know, not for iOS or android machines.

I don't have one so can't be totally sure this works...
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB321/AirPort-Express-AirTunes#overview

The device appears to be small/portable, has USB and cat5 ports, and purports to create a wifi network for wireless devices. In theory :confused: this should to give you access to networks where the client requires you to connect via cat5. It may also give me wireless access to my wifi printer from my iPad.

Has anybody used one of these and so can confirm it allows an iPad to connect to a wired network? Or to print to a wireless printer?
 
Last edited:
Ya know, a Windows tablet allows you to change all the colors on your screen just as you can with any desktop/laptop running Windows.

Sure, but as I'm using an iPad...

(And that's one of the reasons I prefer the Windows tablet...because, again, it's a full fledged OS with all the features of Windows (and, yes, the downsides of Windows...but, then again, Win7 isn't exactly a problematic OS))

When I got interested in a tablet for work I initially set out to buy one of these...
http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac/tablets/samsung-galaxy-tab-8-9-1037035/review

I figured the smaller size and lighter weight gave the device an advantage over the iPad given my particular objectives. But I may as well have tried to find the fountain of youth. For reasons beyond my understanding, Samsung is flogging its tablets through consumer electronics stores in the UK. None of them stocked the device (Nov-Dec 2011).

Eventually I walked into an Apple store and those nefarious evil bastards left me alone to play with an Internet connected iPad.

Once I realised it could run SSH and FTP the decision made itself. In the scheme of things, £399 is chump-change given the usefulness of this tool. I'm sure a Galaxy Tab would have been just as useful. But at the time I wasn't willing to hand over £399 sight-unseen.
 
Last edited:
Damnit. Yes. I DO see them as such. At least for now. They are, right now, fancy toys. I will also admit that I own an Android Tablet, the Kindle Fire. It's a great device, but most of my computing, gaming, videos is still done on my laptop.

As for the second, sure. Eventually they will. Tablets dedicated for certain functions. I think right now that people are trying to make tablets into general purpose machines, a task they're really not ready for.

I agree with the hilighted portion. There appears to be at least a tiny market of people desiring a tablet more like a general purpose computer. But wasn't that itch already scratched by by the tablets that already existed ? The convertible notebooks, etc ? Those have been around much longer than the new generation of touch screen tablets, and are general purpose tablet computers.

So for the vast majority of people that find that find current tablets already functional for their everyday purposes, and do not require a general purpose computer - why does that leave current tablets in the status of toys, instead of something more like 'consumer oriented computer' ?
 
I don't have one so can't be totally sure this works...
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB321/AirPort-Express-AirTunes#overview

The device appears to be small/portable, has USB and cat5 ports, and purports to create a wifi network for wireless devices. In theory :confused: this should to give you access to networks where the client requires you to connect via cat5. It may also give me wireless access to my wifi printer from my iPad.

Has anybody used one of these and so can confirm it allows an iPad to connect to a wired network? Or to print to a wireless printer?

I have an airport express. Yes, you can plug in to a wired network and share it via wifi. I bring it on travel and use it in the hotel.

It won't magically make the printer support airprint, it will just make the printer network accessible. If the printer already supports airprint, you should be fine. If it doesn't, an airport express won't help from the ipad/iphone perspective.
 
I have an airport express. Yes, you can plug in to a wired network and share it via wifi...It won't magically make the printer support airprint, it will just make the printer network accessible. If the printer already supports airprint, you should be fine. If it doesn't, an airport express won't help from the ipad/iphone perspective.

Ah, thank you for clearing that up. So no inexpensive printing solution for me then. Unless Lexmark update their firmware to support AirPrint on the p805. Hmmm...might be worth putting a request in.
 
Ah, thank you for clearing that up. So no inexpensive printing solution for me then. Unless Lexmark update their firmware to support AirPrint on the p805. Hmmm...might be worth putting a request in.

It's possible to install a windows airprint server if that helps.

Also here

AFAIK, airprint is simply CUPS with a few custom extensions. The windows servers seem to come from when apple had it airprint in beta, and it was not limiting it to HP airprint enabled servers in the same way - I'm not exactly sure why it's locked down as much as it is.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom