• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Why vegans are simply better people

I have a different approach to responding to the OP:

Yes, I eat meat. I do so knowing that the animals suffer, and that I would probably be healthier if I ate less of it. And I don't care. Or more to the point, the amount that I care is considerably less than the amount that I enjoy it, so my enjoyment wins out. And if certain people think less of me for it, I also don't care about that.

With that established, do you have a point?

Yea, me too

I'll certainly buy the argument if someone says they're vegetarian for cruelty free reasons however I'll politely inform them that, if we're dining together, I'll be ordering the flesh of something that used to have eyes.

Whatever happened to the OP anyways ? Drop a bomb like that and flee ? There's a word for that.
 
I know a few vegans, and they are all very offended by thread and its cited articles. Dietary restrictions do not make one "simply better". But, believing it does could, conceivably make one "simply" a lot worse off!

Perhaps you could introduce me. In what I laughingly call the real world, I've never met a vegan who didn't have an overweening sense of self-importance and moral superiority. In fact, I've never met one who didn't have significant, obvious emotional and cognitive problems. I'd really like to, as I don't like to have stereotypes.
 
Why people who use spell check are simply better people

"I dare you meat eating smart asses to actually take time to read this link."

Kinda surprised that the self-absorbed nonsense in the opening post didn't get sent to AAH.

Anyway, I dare the smart ass opening poster to actually take the time and show me a single post in the history of the internet where the phrase "I dare you to read ...." hasn't resulted only in well deserved derision for the poster.

I dare you to use spell check the next time you post.
 
Myth, sorry, veggies have been trying to get this quashed for a while.
See http://www.vegsource.com/berry/hitler.html

cheerz

joolz


The biographies that I've read of Hitler dealt with his eating habits. As I remember, he was described as being a vegetarian over many years of his life. I could be wrong in my recollection, of course.

Either way, Hitler's being a vegetarian or a carnivore is irrelevant to his monstrosity.
 
Now lets talk about meat eaters. That veal you ate last night. A young holstein bull calf was taken from its mother at day one. Kept in a cage to prevent him from moving and fed bucket milk for a few days until he was butchered. A newborn highly evolved consciousness was bought into this world to be tortured basically, a torture we would not perfrom on a prisoner of war, all for your veal.

Not in the UK. We banned veal cages.

Other than that, this is exactly the kind of preachy holier-than-thou crap that's made me hate these discussions. I know there are many reasoned, intelligent, articulate and fair vegans out there, but the pompous assclowns ruin it for the rest of you rather.
 
When people make a moral criticism of my actions, I take the skeptical approach. I call them names, troll them by stating my intention to engage in actions that I hope will annoy them, state that moral criticisms are irrelevant if I get pleasure out of sticking something in my mouth and avoid engaging in any way with their criticisms. I feel this high-minded and rational approach is what sets the JREF forums apart from youtube comments threads and similar venues.

Get down off the cross, we need the wood.

Oh, and moral criticism faced with trolling and name calling?

Why vegans are simply better people
Heart disease. We now know the cause. Meat and oil do not just contribute to heart disease, they are the cause. thats right they are the cause.
I dare you meat eating smart asses to actually take time to read this link:


When you go out into public, it is impossible not to see fat slobs wherever you go. Basically fat footballs with a head on top. Why are they such, just like the smokers.... they eat excessively because they enjoy it and will worry about the consequences later.

They are ugly. Not just because they are obese. But their fat, disgusting bodies are a testimony to their own extreme selfishness and complete lack of discipline. Their bodies are testimony to the worst afflliction one can posess....selfishness, glutony, overindulgance, lack of empathy, and refusal to set an example on how to live well for others, especially our children.....whatever you want to call it...if its bad,,,,baby you go it.

now our overindulgance in meat and oil has become our biggest killer. But that won't stop you from eating damn well what you want will it and taking the kids for a bigmac later too. After all, its all about you.
Thats why vegans are better people...we aren't you.

Edited by jhunter1163: 
Edited for Rule 0.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
If you can show that there is a civilization around the star Alpha Lyrae, otherwise known as Vega, then you can attempt to demonstrate whether they are simply better people. If you merely prove their existence, you should be able to make lots of money.

On the other hand, if you're talking about people who eat no animal products whatsoever, you appear to be very much a counterexample to your claim.
 
The biographies that I've read of Hitler dealt with his eating habits. As I remember, he was described as being a vegetarian over many years of his life. I could be wrong in my recollection, of course.

Either way, Hitler's being a vegetarian or a carnivore is irrelevant to his monstrosity.

According to his chef and various other sources referred to in my link, he did have periods of abstaining from meat under doctors orders in an attempt to cure his severe flatulence, that isn't 'being a vegetarian'.

It seems an odd treatment to me as I'd thought eating more beans would have had the effect of worsening flatulence :D Maybe that's why he didn't have many friends.

cheerz

joolz
 
According to his chef and various other sources referred to in my link, he did have periods of abstaining from meat under doctors orders in an attempt to cure his severe flatulence, that isn't 'being a vegetarian'.

It seems an odd treatment to me as I'd thought eating more beans would have had the effect of worsening flatulence :D Maybe that's why he didn't have many friends.

cheerz

joolz


I'd bet he wasn't amused by giggles, "pull my finger", or fart jokes.

Such a fun man.
 
I'd bet he wasn't amused by giggles, "pull my finger", or fart jokes.

Such a fun man.
To be fair to Hitler, if he wasn't amused by them, then I'm with him on that.:boxedin:





I never thought I would use the phrase "To be fair to Hitler", even in a joke post.

I think I need about fifty showers and some carbolic soap. :boggled:
 
To sidetrack for a moment, the word vegetarian has no connection with the word vegetable.
The etymology of the word vegetarian is from vegetāre,the Latin present active infinitive of vegeto, I arouse, enliven, quicken, animate, invigorate
The idea was that, on a diet of vegetables, once feels more alive, quickened, animated and invigorated. I tried a vegetarian diet for a while. It didn't agree with me.
 
Perhaps you could introduce me. In what I laughingly call the real world, I've never met a vegan who didn't have an overweening sense of self-importance and moral superiority. In fact, I've never met one who didn't have significant, obvious emotional and cognitive problems. I'd really like to, as I don't like to have stereotypes.

:D

Unless you're serious, in which case - Dessi.
 
I can be a bitch sometimes in these discussions, its bad habit because this is such a touchy topic for me, but I try to keep a level head. People like calm, cool rational argument, even if its for a really microminority view like ethical veganism. Peter Singer and Tom Regan, two of the nicest people on the planet with a powerful capacity for lucid and rational argument, have inspired more people to jump on the vegan train than any invective personalities ever will.
Thanks Dessi. Good post.
 
When I watch people who smoke, I often ask myself how can they do it. What is it that makes these people tick. They deliberately engage in a vice that they know will probably hasten their own death.

Is it because they really don't enjoy life and dying early is OK with them.

Is it because they don't believe in the science that shows how dangerous smoking is?

Or it it because they are selfish. They think of themselves and their enjoyment and don't worry about the consequences until they occur. They don't care that smoking arround their kids infuences their kids to smoke. They don't care that others often have to foot the medical bills in the form of higher insurance premiums, and they don't care about secondary smoke.

I believe that people who don't smoke are better people than those who do. Because I believe those who smoke do it for the last reason.

Now lets talk about meat eaters. That veal you ate last night. A young holstein bull calf was taken from its mother at day one. Kept in a cage to prevent him from moving and fed bucket milk for a few days until he was butchered. A newborn highly evolved consciousness was bought into this world to be tortured basically, a torture we would not perfrom on a prisoner of war, all for your veal.

Chickens kept in cages, debeaked to prevent pecking each other after they go insane from not being able to move for the short one year life span they are given to furnish you your eggs.. the list goes on.

Heart disease. We now know the cause. Meat and oil do not just contribute to heart disease, they are the cause. thats right they are the cause.

I dare you meat eating smart asses to actually take time to read this link:

http://www.thechinastudy.com/PDFs/ChinaStudy_Excerpt.pdf


When you go out into public, it is impossible not to see fat slobs wherever you go. Basically fat footballs with a head on top. Why are they such, just like the smokers.... they eat excessively because they enjoy it and will worry about the consequences later.

They are ugly. Not just because they are obese. But their fat, disgusting bodies are a testimony to their own extreme selfishness and complete lack of discipline. Their bodies are testimony to the worst afflliction one can posess....selfishness, glutony, overindulgance, lack of empathy, and refusal to set an example on how to live well for others, especially our children.....whatever you want to call it...if its bad,,,,baby you go it.

Its been known for years now how dangerous sugars and simple carbs are,,,but I bet your reading this with a dougnut stuffed in your mouth and one in your kids...,now our overindulgance in meat and oil has become our biggest killer. But that won't stop you from eating damn well what you want will it and taking the kids for a bigmac later too. After all, its all about you. And if all this ***** about nutrition is true, you worry about it later.

Thats why vegans are better people...we aren't you.

again....http://www.thechinastudy.com/PDFs/ChinaStudy_Excerpt.pdf

I dare you to read it...

No.
 
Many great replies to the OP, hmmm.....I wonder why he or she hasn't returned to defend his or her position that he or she is so much better than the rest of us.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom