Personally, I hope they open up the economy from the Stalinist model that Gaddafi imposed on them.
Libya could do a booming trade in tourism if it becomes stable. Nice Roman ruins. Colonial Italian architecture. Ancient Berber houses. Some nice places to set up some cafes and adventure tours.
Why the hell should they abandon an ecconomic model that seems to have worked, for the most part, for the good of the masses? And where do you expect them to find the water they would need to support a large non-agricultural business base? I don't think I had a drink of non-brackish water the whole year and a half I was there.
Why the hell should they abandon an ecconomic model that seems to have worked, for the most part, for the good of the masses?
Ecconomicly, they were all better off than the people of most African countries.You seem to have a funny definition of "worked".
And "masses".
And "good".
Ecconomicly, they were all better off than the people of most African countries.
Ahem... The experts have found it wasn't true.I was, myself, sort of comfortable with Qadafi until I learned about the mercenary forces. That alone should be gounds to hang the kelb ibn kelb.
Ahem... Wasn't true.The using rape as a weapon thing was upsetting.
I have no idea what you're talking about. Sorry. Pilots taking over? Sorry if I'm missing some obvious reference or whatever.theprestige said:So again I ask Caustic Logic: Who's doing the takeover? NATO Pilot Jean-Pierre? Or NATO Commando Gustav?
Coz that was the idea. Free-market obsessed leaders of the TNC, among the few whose names have even been revealed. Or haven't been "dissolved" by Libya's new strongman ...Why the hell should they abandon an ecconomic model that seems to have worked, for the most part, for the good of the masses?
ftfy. And how are we going to prevent the uprisings ofThere shouild be no occupation. There is no way it could be justified to the people of any of the NATO allies. The people alreadyhasHAD a framework in place to form their own government without outside assistance.the peoplethose pesky loyalists if we don't stay?
TRIPOLI, Libya (AP) — The streets where rebel fighters bombarded snipers loyal to Moammar Gadhafi were strewn with bullet-ridden corpses from both sides Thursday. Streams of blood ran down the gutters and turned sewers red.
By sundown the rebels appeared to have won the battle for the Abu Salim neighborhood, next to Gadhafi's captured Tripoli compound [...] Outside his Bab al-Aziziya compound, which rebels captured Tuesday, there was another grim scene — one that suggested mass, execution-style killings of civilians.
About two dozen bodies — some with their hands bound by plastic ties and with bullet wounds to the head — lay scattered on grassy lots in an area where Gadhafi sympathizers had camped out for months.
The identities of the dead were unclear, but they were in all likelihood activists who had set up an impromptu tent city in solidarity with Gadhafi in defiance of the NATO bombing campaign.
Five or six bodies were in a tent erected on a roundabout that had served as a field clinic. One of the dead still had an IV in his arm, and another body was completely charred, its legs missing. The body of a doctor, in his green hospital gown, was found dumped in the canal.
(the claim wasn't true, by the way, at least until recently)In Abu Salim, the hours-long barrage ended at sunset. Rebel fighters went door to door through largely deserted apartment buildings, occasionally dragging out suspected regime loyalists.
Some were dark-skinned men wearing cut-off camouflage and T-shirts. Their hands were tied behind their backs before they were driven away. The rebels have long claimed Gadhafi had been hiring mercenaries from sub-Saharan Africa to bolster his army.
CNN has a HQ video with Dan Rivers reporting from the spot: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xkpvor_bodies-litter-gadhafi-compound_news#from=embed Take attention how he looks around and speaks quietly when he says it was probably done by rebels.
No matter how much you cry, your little dictator is no more.
In an odd development, a reporter for the Irish Times came up with documents at Colonel Qaddafi’s compound, Bab al-Aziziya, that seemed to show that the Libyan leader’s adopted daughter Hana, who was supposedly killed at the age of four in the United States strike on the compound in 1986, is actually alive and well and had been working as a doctor. The paper said it found a medical school examination of hers along with a certificate from an English language course in which she received an A.
Others have reported seeing a spacious and well appointed office at Tripoli Central Hospital that workers there claimed was Hana Qaddafi’s.
No matter how much you cry, your little dictator is no more.
Perhaps if I work at it, I can get better after all.
See, I wasn't aware that things were going badly for the regime.
I have no idea what you're talking about. Sorry. Pilots taking over? Sorry if I'm missing some obvious reference or whatever.
Not without the right medication I fear. Weren't you the guy that thought Matt Damon was sending him sooper sekrit troother messages in his films?
Pilots taking over. NATO pilots.
Your OP alludes to a "thinly-veiled takeover", and links it to the presence of of NATO forces in Libya. You seem to think that not only was the takeover supposed to be some sort of secret (it wasn't), but that it's going to be the NATO troops that do it.
So I'm asking: Which NATO troops are going to be taking over Libya? The pilots? Or the commandos?
No matter how much you cry, your little dictator is no more.
And as it turned out, it appears his daughter wasn't killed in the 1986 attack.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/27/world/africa/27libya.html
By the way, I'm not crying. I have no attachment to Gaddafi, personally.
Would you like me to pass your message along to any of my few loyalist Libyan friends? Maybe they can pass it on in turn to someone whose family was killed for refusing to join the rebels?