Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
- Joined
- Feb 14, 2005
- Messages
- 96,955
I've experienced racism in France. It was just what I thought it was before I experienced it directly. Does my experience count?
That's not true at all. I'm a white woman, and I have first-hand knowledge of it. Both when from when it benefits me and from when it negatively impacts me.
Maybe not. But that's not necessary to be able to speak about the facts regarding racism.I was unclear, I think. I mean I'll never have knowledge of what it means to be black (or anyone else but white) and experience that. Because I'm white. I can and do have empathy for it, and I can understand racism in general, though. I'm just never going to live every day as a black person and feel what they feel.
Maybe not. But that's not necessary to be able to speak about the facts regarding racism.
Touche'I'm not sure where the line of reasoning that 'you can't comment, you don't know, you're not a woman' would leave us anyway. Presumably RW had no right to comment on EG, or men in general as she's not a man and will never understand?
I've experienced racism in France.
Maybe they resented the fact that you can't type French accents?Touche'
Maybe not. But that's not necessary to be able to speak about the facts regarding racism.
No problemI don't think I said...I don't know what I said. I just didn't say it right. Sorry.
Actually, not speaking French is what resulted in the reaction to us.Maybe they resented the fact that you can't type French accents?
![]()
Well thanks for admitting that you think it's OK to try to screw any women you see.
Apparently women in MikeSuns' vicinity had better carry Mace.
And in your vicinity a water tanker to extinguish your straw-men should they catch afire.
Actually, not speaking French is what resulted in the reaction to us.
To the extent that he made a mistake, and I think he did (false consolation fallacy). I don't think there is anything to do except to perhaps have a discussion with Rebecca. If people are hung up on this single incident then they are shallow. He had a point (perspective). He just made it very, very badly.Now that we've talked the elevator issue to death, I'm curious about the opinions of those who are angry with Richard Dawkins. What can he do to "redeem himself", in your mind, if anything?
My experience was much milder, very few people would help us and were openly annoyed by our communication skills. So why were you booted from the restaurant?My (American) family was once turned away from a visibly half-empty restaurant in northern France after being told they had no room for us. As we left, a few of the patrons actually broke into applause. Everyone involved was white, but it was still crazy. [/derail]
Actually, not speaking French is what resulted in the reaction to us.
I was speaking of the French in France. Did I imply someplace or something else? If so, I'm sorry for the misconception.I don't understand. You couldn't speak French, and you received a bad reaction from French nationals, right? How is that racism? "French" isn't a race. It's a Nationality. What did I miss, because I'm sure I missed something. Was there a part--wait, how do you self-identify? I may be assuming something I ought not assume.
I was speaking of the French in France. Did I imply someplace or something else? If so, I'm sorry for the misconception.
I've traveled in many non-English speaking countries, and I've met many not so fluent English speakers in my own country. I was never treated with disdain and I've not met people who were treated with disdain here because their English was not so great. (There are some exceptions with people unhappy with Spanish speaking immigrants, but that's a separate issue. This is about tourists and other travelers.)
In France, the reception we got differed. If you want to quibble it differed from racial discrimination, be my guest. But technically, race is ethnic, not truly genetic.
I was speaking of the French in France. Did I imply someplace or something else? If so, I'm sorry for the misconception.
I've traveled in many non-English speaking countries, and I've met many not so fluent English speakers in my own country. I was never treated with disdain and I've not met people who were treated with disdain here because their English was not so great. (There are some exceptions with people unhappy with Spanish speaking immigrants, but that's a separate issue. This is about tourists and other travelers.)
In France, the reception we got differed. If you want to quibble it differed from racial discrimination, be my guest. But technically, race is ethnic, not truly genetic.
That's kind of a distortion, actually. His later posts clarified his meaning.He said that other men force women to be mutilated so Rebbecca shouldn't complain about being hit on by a man.
Pretty much, and women have the right to think they're jackasses (in this context I think elevator guy kinda was, I've made my opinion pretty clear about this), but that's not really what Dawkins said anyway.Do you think that men have the right to hit on women whenever and wherever they want?
Dawkin's redeemed by Depleted Cranium on the Bad Science Blog:
(Sorry if it's been posted, and for my posting it in two threads, but it needs to be seen.)